White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

To reply to Frater's post, organizations have their philosophy and it doesn't fit for everyone. David Ortiz didn't fit the Twins mold of hitting the ball the other way, and he did just fine. Collins was drafted for his bat, and if something wasn't working for him, it's ok to abandon it. If his approach he had at Miami works, more power to him.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
If his approach he had at Miami works, more power to him.
Well played! 😜
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yes this is nice to see, but jumping into the top 25 based on 2 HRs is a bit of an over-reaction. He's probably the third-best position prospect in the organization, but I wouldn't put him ahead of some of the pitchers like Kopech and Hansen (remember me?), even Cease and Dunning who are off to equally impressive starts this year.
Oh, he isn't there yet by any means. He definitely needs to show more consistency. Still, if the guy shows 15 to 20 home run pop, that vaults him into a top level prospect. The eye, hands, and bat speed are there already.

I know many are bummed right now,but we could win every single trade we made last year.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Does anyone know anything about RHP Blake Battenfield? He seems to be off to a nice start for Kannapolis. In 6 starts he has a 1.75 ERA with 24 K and only 4 BB according to MiLB.com. I don't know if that includes tonight's outing where he went 8.0 IP and had 0 R, 3 H, 0 BB, and 10 Ks. He was our 17th round pick last year.
The Kanny starting rotation is no joke. The highest ERA is 2.63! They are all college guys who were drafted last year, so age may play a part in it, but still...

Also, only one of those 5 is on the Sox top 30 prospects list (Lincoln Henzman - #26)!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

My $0.02- working my way down the farm system.

Charlotte- If anyone needs evidence of how much the White Sox needed a complete rebuild, just look at the dearth of talent at AAA. Other than Kopech, not a single exciting prospect on the entire roster. (a few guys like Tilson, Palka, Rondon, K Smith, veteran bullpen arms- that provide a little interest). I think Casey Gillaspie is pretty much done.

Birmingham- This is the most talent I can remember at AA, with more on the way. Jimenez has to be moving up to Charlotte soon. Collins, Zavala, Michalczewski and Rose may be setting the stage for promotions to Charlotte later this season. Jordan Stephens is coming on- should be moved to AAA soon (age 25), Guerrero is a disappointment so far, I think Spencer Adams stock is falling pretty dramatically (5.32 ERA 2017 2nd half, 6.68 ERA this season)- Clarkin has been hit very hard over his past 4 starts. Dunning looking good- at AAA for a taste before the end of the season?

Winston Salem- Gavin Sheets with a really nice start (.412 OBP, but not showing much power)- the door is wide open for him at Birmingham. Rutherford is looking really good- .513 slugging. Booker is ready to move up. Basabe is really cooling off. Adolfo continues to come on (.353 over his past 10 games). Yrizzari producing at the plate, but 10 errors already-only 21 yo. Cease is really dominating- up to Birmingham later this season?

Kannapolis- Lots of great starts across the board- but mostly 2017 college draft choices that need to get to Winston Salem to see if there is anything really there. Gonzalez is definitely ready to move up. Skoug showing a little life at the plate- .306 over past 10 games. All 5 rotation starters with ERAs < 2.63- McClure looks especially interesting to me.

Overall, other than the injuries, I see alot more good news than bad in the farm system so far this season. Need to get movement going up to the AA/AAA levels to break up the log jam at A/A+- and get the dead wood out of the top of the system- I think we'll see some of that over the next 30-45 days, with the 2018 draft choices finishing the push of talent from the bottom levels.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 05-11-2018, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think Spencer Adams stock is falling pretty dramatically (5.32 ERA 2017 2nd half, 6.68 ERA this season)
He's definitely taken a step back, but he's still young. He just turned 22 last month and is a full two years younger than Dunning.

Quote:
Need to get movement going up to the AA/AAA levels to break up the log jam at A/A+- and get the dead wood out of the top of the system
This will never happen (and probably shouldn't happen), but I'd be fine with mass promotions of 7-10 guys from AA to AAA, with corresponding moves at the lower levels. Just ship them all up together.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Charlotte....
With the Charlotte situation, yes some has to do with the lack of front loaded talent over the years. However, AAA normally is a quick stop shop for your best legit talent. Kopech is going to last no more than a half season there. Eloy might see a month there and then head right on over to Chicago. Last season Moncada, Fulmer, Giolliton, and Lopez didn't last a full season there.

To me, AA is where you check for the current health of the farm. And boy was last season miserable there. This season, different story. And the downstream flow will only get better.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Any word on how his catching skills are progressing? One of the concerns about Collins (before his offensive struggles) was whether he was good enough at catching to stick at the position as he makes his way up to the majors.
.....I looked up some stats on MiLB.com and it looks like Collins has 20 SBs against him this year and 9 caught stealing. In yesterday's game, the opponent had 4 steals against him in 4 tries.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsoxfan View Post
The Kanny starting rotation is no joke. The highest ERA is 2.63! They are all college guys who were drafted last year, so age may play a part in it, but still...

Also, only one of those 5 is on the Sox top 30 prospects list (Lincoln Henzman - #26)!
Quote:

Charlotte- If anyone needs evidence of how much the White Sox needed a complete rebuild, just look at the dearth of talent at AAA. Other than Kopech, not a single exciting prospect on the entire roster. (a few guys like Tilson, Palka, Rondon, K Smith, veteran bullpen arms- that provide a little interest). I think Casey Gillaspie is pretty much done.

Birmingham- This is the most talent I can remember at AA, with more on the way. Jimenez has to be moving up to Charlotte soon. Collins, Zavala, Michalczewski and Rose may be setting the stage for promotions to Charlotte later this season. Jordan Stephens is coming on- should be moved to AAA soon (age 25), Guerrero is a disappointment so far, I think Spencer Adams stock is falling pretty dramatically (5.32 ERA 2017 2nd half, 6.68 ERA this season)- Clarkin has been hit very hard over his past 4 starts. Dunning looking good- at AAA for a taste before the end of the season?

Winston Salem- Gavin Sheets with a really nice start (.412 OBP, but not showing much power)- the door is wide open for him at Birmingham. Rutherford is looking really good- .513 slugging. Booker is ready to move up. Basabe is really cooling off. Adolfo continues to come on (.353 over his past 10 games). Yrizzari producing at the plate, but 10 errors already-only 21 yo. Cease is really dominating- up to Birmingham later this season?

Kannapolis- Lots of great starts across the board- but mostly 2017 college draft choices that need to get to Winston Salem to see if there is anything really there. Gonzalez is definitely ready to move up. Skoug showing a little life at the plate- .306 over past 10 games. All 5 rotation starters with ERAs < 2.63- McClure looks especially interesting to me.

Overall, other than the injuries, I see alot more good news than bad in the farm system so far this season. Need to get movement going up to the AA/AAA levels to break up the log jam at A/A+- and get the dead wood out of the top of the system- I think we'll see some of that over the next 30-45 days, with the 2018 draft choices finishing the push of talent from the bottom levels.
Thanks - great info both of you guys!

Nice to see those pitchers drafted last year off to a great start at W-S. By the way, Battenfield's game score yesterday was 92. Great game by that kid.

I also see that Ian Hamilton seems to be having a nice start to the 2018 season at AA. 0.69 ERA and 6 saves. He was our 11th round pick in 2016.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
.....I looked up some stats on MiLB.com and it looks like Collins has 20 SBs against him this year and 9 caught stealing. In yesterday's game, the opponent had 4 steals against him in 4 tries.
9 caught stealing out of 29 tries comes out to roughly 31% caught stealing. I'd be curious to see how that compares to other prospects that are comparable in their development to Collins and what the league average is. Some of this might not be Collin's fault as there are other factors that go into cutting down the run game. Off the top of my head, how quick is the pitcher with his delivery to the plate, what is being done to hold the runner on, etc. I would also like to see if certain pitchers are being victimized more often than others when it comes to being run on.

Through 5/10, Zavala is at 1/3 of base runners caught stealing 6/18. So the two are roughly throwing out runners at nearly the same rate.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
With the Charlotte situation, yes some has to do with the lack of front loaded talent over the years. However, AAA normally is a quick stop shop for your best legit talent. Kopech is going to last no more than a half season there. Eloy might see a month there and then head right on over to Chicago. Last season Moncada, Fulmer, Giolliton, and Lopez didn't last a full season there.

To me, AA is where you check for the current health of the farm. And boy was last season miserable there. This season, different story. And the downstream flow will only get better.
I basically agree. Most organizations -- Sox being no exception -- use AAA as extra depth for the major league team, with older players who have some major league experience. The brightest prospects will go straight from AA to the majors. Kopech's stop in AAA has more to do with control than development. Jimenez could come up right now.

Once the clock starts on this next wave, the turnover is going to be eye-opening.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Guerrero is a disappointment so far, I think Spencer Adams stock is falling pretty dramatically (5.32 ERA 2017 2nd half, 6.68 ERA this season)- Clarkin has been hit very hard over his past 4 starts.
Guerrero's been unlucky. His peripherals are good. Agree on Adams. Guerrero and Clarkin have better chances at being major leaguers because they're lefthanded, but their futures may be in the bullpen.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I basically agree. Most organizations -- Sox being no exception -- use AAA as extra depth for the major league team, with older players who have some major league experience. The brightest prospects will go straight from AA to the majors. Kopech's stop in AAA has more to do with control than development. Jimenez could come up right now.

Once the clock starts on this next wave, the turnover is going to be eye-opening.
IIRC, for the Sox this is doubly true because Charlotte is a small stadium so it's often assumed pitcher numbers will look worse and hitters will look better.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
As bad as the major league team is, the minor league teams are a treat this year. There's something to get excited about every single night.

Blake Battenfield's line for Kanny tonight: 8 3 0 0 0 10
Laz Rivera, their shortstop, is batting .366.
These two guys were on nobody's top 30, but because of the depth in the system, not their talent.

Winston-Salem lost, but Blake Rutherford did hit his third homer. Now slugging .513.

Go back a day and all four teams won by an aggregate score of 40-14.
Crazy but I check the MiLB box scores before I even sit down to watch the Sox game I'd recorded. Wish I could watch the games on TV - especially W-S and Kannapolis.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Crazy but I check the MiLB box scores before I even sit down to watch the Sox game I'd recorded. Wish I could watch the games on TV - especially W-S and Kannapolis.
The MiLB "First Pitch" smartphone app is awesome. It lets you bookmark "favorite" minor league teams. So, I'm able to scroll through the box scores of all the Sox affiliates fairly quickly. It has Gameday play-by-play for all the games, too.
Closed Thread