White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Micker Adolfo and Luis Basabe have a lot more upside than Victor Reyes and Carlos Tocci (the other outfield prospects who were picked in the Rule 5), and both of those guys have stuck with the teams that drafted/traded for them.

There was no good reason to gamble on losing either player just to save a potential option year.
Right, San Diego has been very aggressive in the Rule 5 game recently. It wouldn't be unprecedented to have guys slated for AA try to stick it out on a rebuild team.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Dylan Cease and Luis Basabe will represent the Sox in the Futures Game:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...x-futures-game
Old 07-12-2018, 01:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Micker Adolfo and Luis Basabe have a lot more upside than Victor Reyes and Carlos Tocci (the other outfield prospects who were picked in the Rule 5), and both of those guys have stuck with the teams that drafted/traded for them.

There was no good reason to gamble on losing either player just to save a potential option year.

I'm unmoved. Tocci spent most of 2017 in Double-A and had some Triple-A time, and Reyes had a full season of Double-A before this year. Neither of those things was true for either Adolfo or Basabe.

I didn't like the decision to put them on the 40-man.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
I'm unmoved. Tocci spent most of 2017 in Double-A and had some Triple-A time, and Reyes had a full season of Double-A before this year. Neither of those things was true for either Adolfo or Basabe.

Micker Adolfo would be a Detroit Tiger right now.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
100% true. Just a few weeks ago Fangraphs moved Adolfo into their top 100 , and he'd probably be a top 5 prospect on half the teams in baseball. If the Tigers, Padres and Orioles are willing to spend a year wasting a roster spot on guys with an outside chance of being an average big league player in two or three years, you'd better believe there are probably at least another 2 or 3 out there that would do the same for a guy who's actually a top prospect.

Quote:

In 2014 the White Sox kept Adrian Nieto on the roster all year after not previously spending a day above A+, and he had half the upside of Adolfo. It's more common that you'd think. Hell, Johan Santana is probably the best Rule 5 pick of all time, and he was a 20 year old who hadn't even made A+ when the Twins picked him up.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I will not be accepting your speculation as a statement of fact.

You don't know this. Nobody here does.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Micker Adolfo has a lot more upside than Victor Reyes, and Victor Reyes has made it this far into the season without being sent back. In essence, the Tigers have been playing with a shortened bench just to accommodate Reyes. Micker Adolfo would have been in the same boat. The extra 800 minor league at-bats would not have made a difference. Besides, Adolfo's 40-man spot wasn't needed for anyone else.

Preserving a player's option years doesn't do any good if another organization ends up poaching him anyway.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

So you would have been totally fine and okay with it had they allowed 29 other teams the opportunity to take one of our top-10 prospects off our hands for free? I mean, nobody can know for absolute 100% sure whether someone would have grabbed him but given the evidence it really doesn't seem worth the risk, does it? I mean, if the Sox had a chance to pick up, say, Estevan Florial (or another top 80 prospect) only at the cost of keeping him on the roster during this lost season, you wouldn't be all for it?

Last edited by mzh; 07-13-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

The entire discussion is "speculation"- what exactly is the downside to the approach the White Sox took to avoid the risk of another rebuilding team taking Micker via Rule 5?
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't understand the freak out here for Micker being on the 40 man Roster.

So is 2021 really that much of a reach for his ETA to the bigs?

If not for the elbow injury, he was very close to being a candidate due for a promotion to Birmingham.

So he starts in Winston next season around May and by July he gets the move to Birmingham.

Then you have 2020 to let him play the full season in Birmingham and Charlotte.

No reason he can't make the opening day roster 2021.

Last edited by LoveYourSuit; 07-13-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Guerrero with a good outing for Charlotte last night. Also, Zavala went 2 for 5. Perhaps he's hit bat is coming around after a slow start after his promotion to AAA. Ian Hamilton with another scoreless outing in relief for Charlotte. Since being promoted he's pitched in 7 games and these are his numbers 8.0 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 10 K.

Everyone in Birmingham's lineup had a hit last night. Basabe was 1 for 3 and, like Zavala, might be gradually coming around after a slow start since his promotion.

Gonzalez continues to tear it up since his promotion to W-S. He went 1 for 3 last night with a double, walk, and stolen base.

Madrigal appears to be back from his hamstring injury and played DH for the AZ rookie league team yesterday.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 07-13-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Guerrero with a good outing for Charlotte last night. Also, Zavala went 2 for 5. Perhaps he's hit bat is coming around after a slow start after his promotion to AAA. Ian Hamilton with another scoreless outing in relief for Charlotte. Since being promoted he's pitched in 7 games and these are his numbers 8.0 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 10 K.

Everyone in Birmingham's lineup had a hit last night. Basabe was 1 for 3 and, like Zavala, might be gradually coming around after a slow start since his promotion.

Gonzalez continues to tear it up since his promotion to W-S. He went 1 for 3 last night with a double, walk, and stolen base.

Madrigal appears to be back from his hamstring injury and played DH for the AZ rookie league team yesterday.
I know I was poo poo'd on earlier this year when I said it, Gonzalez is the 2nd best OF prospect on this team. Offcourse having a lot to do with Robert always being hurt and not developing because of that.

But I can see Gonzalez being our starting CF and leading off come 2020/2021.

If Madrigal is what all scouts say he could be, Having a top of the order of Gonzalez and Madrigal could be one hell of a table setting 1 and 2 on the batting order.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I know I was poo poo'd on earlier this year when I said it, Gonzalez is the 2nd best OF prospect on this team. Offcourse having a lot to do with Robert always being hurt and not developing because of that.

But I can see Gonzalez being our starting CF and leading off come 2020/2021.

If Madrigal is what all scouts say he could be, Having a top of the order of Gonzalez and Madrigal could be one hell of a table setting 1 and 2 on the batting order.
I'd love to jump on the Gonzales bandwagon--my foot is on the hitch!--but I need to see what he does in AA first.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Carson Fulmer came out of the bullpen tonight for the first time this year in Charlotte and pitched a clean inning. 17 pitches, 10 strikes, no hits, no walks, 1K. There's hope yet for him, as long as he stays in the pen.

Adams had a bad night, though. 4 IP, 8H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1K.

One step forward, one step back.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Soooooo......does anyone know why Hansen was pulled after 3 IP tonight?