White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Stephens' future is probably in the bullpen. I think he deserves a call up, and some starts this season to see how he does, but it might be Volstad's spot that he deserves.
People have floated the idea of Gio or Cease eventually being our version of Miller/Hader, but I actually think Stephens has a better chance at converting into a multi-inning superman than those two. We'll see. He's got a couple good pitches, good command, and his FB will of course play better as a pensman if it comes down to it.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Sox and their farm teams went 7-0 on the day!

Birmingham opened up a 4-run lead in the top of the 11th over Tennessee, gave back three in the bottom of the inning, and escaped with the bases loaded. Bullpen game for the pitching staff. Big days for Barnum (3-5, 2 HR, double, 5 RBI) and Flete (4-5, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, and I think the tying and go-ahead hits.)

Earlier, Sox beat Cleveland.

Charlotte beat Durham, 6-2, behind Stephens. HR for Skole.

W-S beat Myrtle Beach, 4-0, behind Flores. HRs for Rutherford & Basabe.

Kannapolis swept a doubleheader over Delmarva, 5-0 and 5-2. Henzman a one-hitter in the first game. HR for Blackman in the second.

DSL Sox also won 4-2.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Stephens deserves a call up and Giolito's roster spot.
See the thread on Giolito in the clubhouse. If the Sox send Giolito down to AAA, it would use up his last option, and thus mean he would have to make the team out of spring training next year or the Sox would lose him. So keeping him in the rotation effectively buys the Sox a whole extra year of control for him to work out his issues. That for me is reason enough to not demote him.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 AM
WSI High Priest

There are things that might have to be figured out with the rotations, after the draft signings.
Once Pilkington get here, he could be in Kanny or Arizona (depending on how far the Bulldogs get), Stiever could end up in Kanny, and that could cause a ripple effect, and as far as I'm concerned, Flores and Henzman should be the next pitchers to move up.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
See the thread on Giolito in the clubhouse. If the Sox send Giolito down to AAA, it would use up his last option, and thus mean he would have to make the team out of spring training next year or the Sox would lose him. So keeping him in the rotation effectively buys the Sox a whole extra year of control for him to work out his issues. That for me is reason enough to not demote him.
I am not saying they should send him down, I'm not at that point, but couldn't they just leave him in AAA to start the season next year if they felt it was the right move?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I am not saying they should send him down, I'm not at that point, but couldn't they just leave him in AAA to start the season next year if they felt it was the right move?
If what is being said the Giolito only has 1 option left, as long as he is up this entire year, then the White Sox can have him start the year in AAA. If the Sox do send Giolito down this year, then that option is used and he must be on the 25 or the Sox risk losing him next year.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Sox and their farm teams went 7-0 on the day!
Birmingham opened up a 4-run lead in the top of the 11th over Tennessee, gave back three in the bottom of the inning, and escaped with the bases loaded. Bullpen game for the pitching staff. Big days for Barnum (3-5, 2 HR, double, 5 RBI) and Flete (4-5, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, and I think the tying and go-ahead hits.)
It's not every day that your organization goes 7-0.

Collins went 2 for 6 and Eloy 2 for 5 in that game. They each had a double. They each have an OPS for the season above .900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
There are things that might have to be figured out with the rotations, after the draft signings.
Once Pilkington get here, he could be in Kanny or Arizona (depending on how far the Bulldogs get), Stiever could end up in Kanny, and that could cause a ripple effect, and as far as I'm concerned, Flores and Henzman should be the next pitchers to move up.
Where does Battenfield rank compared to Henzman at Kanny? He's been lights out this season.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
If what is being said the Giolito only has 1 option left, as long as he is up this entire year, then the White Sox can have him start the year in AAA. If the Sox do send Giolito down this year, then that option is used and he must be on the 25 or the Sox risk losing him next year.

Correct.

Fulmer's last option was burned this year, so he'll have to be on the 25-man roster next year, or will have to be exposed to waivers.

From a long-term roster management perspective, you can carry one struggling young pitcher in your major league bullpen or as your 5th starter, but carrying two is a recipe for disaster, as we have learned this year. It's no coincidence that our bullpen has improved now that more of our starting pitchers are going a bit deeper into games, and are not being yanked after just two or three horrendous innings. As a general rule, the less a bullpen is used, the more effective it will be.

For 2019, the Sox seemingly have made a commitment to letting Fulmer spend the entire season on the 25-man roster (unless they expose him to waivers), and to this point have given themselves the option to send Giolito down next year if necessary, by so far deciding to carry him on the 25-man roster this year.

Based on this, I fully expect Gioltio to be in Chicago all year, barring injury. That means there isn't room for Kopech - who probably isn't ready anyway given his control issues and his unfinished changeup - until a veteran is traded.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
I didn't know that I assumed he could be sent down and left there. Learn something new...

Edit: Odds are Fulmer is the long reliever/mopup man next year unless he flips a switch in the next 4 months.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
WSI High Priest

It really seems like the White Sox are improving their draft quality (Hostetler) and player development process (Getz, new affiliate managers added the last 2 seasons, Dotson seems to be on to something at AA).

It's been a while since we had 3 interesting prospects in the Charlotte rotation (Fulmer, Stephens,now Adams), 2 more at Birmingham (Hansen, Dunning), a bunch more at A/A+- we'll see how they do as they move up- with AA being the critical level. Seems like we also have a number of bullpen options developing at all levels as well.

Lots of position players percolating at Kanny and WS- it will be interesting to see how many can produce once promoted to AA.

Between 2018 results and the new draft picks- I think our top 30 could look very different by early July- the quality of 16-30 seems to be much higher than where we were entering the season.

Feeling pretty bullish right now on the progress of the farm system- especially our own drafted prospects.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Another rain out yesterday for Kannapolis. They seem to have had a ton of them this year. Interestingly, Winston-Salem and Charlotte haven't had nearly as many rain outs and they play in the same general area.

The following pitchers are starting today:
AAA - Kopech
AA - Dunning
Hi A - Cease
Low A - Battenfield
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
It really seems like the White Sox are improving their draft quality (Hostetler) and player development process (Getz, new affiliate managers added the last 2 seasons, Dotson seems to be on to something at AA).
I hope things have changed.
A ball looks better, but it's a lot of college guys so they really should rake there. AA is the test.
So far no hitter under the new regime has made it through to the majors. And really, other than Getz, it's the same scouting/FO crew that's been around for nearly 2 decades. Hostetler was promoted, but he's been with this org for ages. Hahn too.
I hope it works out.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I hope things have changed.
A ball looks better, but it's a lot of college guys so they really should rake there. AA is the test.
So far no hitter under the new regime has made it through to the majors. And really, other than Getz, it's the same scouting/FO crew that's been around for nearly 2 decades. Hostetler was promoted, but he's been with this org for ages. Hahn too.
I hope it works out.
Our big problem with scouting, it seems to me, has been major league scouting during a time when we were atttempting to reload and compete every year, but on a self-imposed payroll budget: Shields, Swisher, Dunn, LaRoche, Teahen, Navarro, etc.

I donít think Hostetler has been involved with that; I think his focus has always been stateside amateur scouting in preparation for the draft. Now that the bonus pool slotting system is in place, and the Sox no longer operate on the cheap in the draft, our drafts have improved compared to a decade ago.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Another rain out yesterday for Kannapolis. They seem to have had a ton of them this year. Interestingly, Winston-Salem and Charlotte haven't had nearly as many rain outs and they play in the same general area.

The following pitchers are starting today:
AAA - Kopech
AA - Dunning
Hi A - Cease
Low A - Battenfield
Kopech looking like a right handed Rick Ankiel tonight. 8 BB in 3+ innings.

Forgot to mention the 2 hit batters and 5 wild pitches. I’m worried. It’s not normal for someone that talented to do that if there isn’t something wrong
Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Kopech looking like a right handed Rick Ankiel tonight. 8 BB in 3+ innings.

Forgot to mention the 2 hit batters and 5 wild pitches. Iím worried. Itís not normal for someone that talented to do that if there isnít something wrong
Especially the way he started the minor league season off.
Closed Thread