Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 PM
WSI Regular

Location: Born on the South Side of Chicago raised in the NW burbs..now live in St. Joe Michigan
Post Sox Rebuild vs. Other Teams - More Balanced

I know we are entering year 4 of the rebuild and I know we have fans on both sides of the fence on progress to date. I am satisfied with the rebuild and we sort lost a year with the injuries to Kopech and Rodon among others. If we had both them last year there is a decent chance we could have won 10-15 games more than we did if they had played in 2019 vs. the "plug-in's" we had in 2019. In addition we probably would have been buyers at the trade deadline and made additional moves. We may not have made the playoffs but we would have been in the running and may have won 85-87 games. You can't plan for injuries so you need to keep stock-piling talent. Now to my point when I look at the other rebuilds of late (Cubs, Astros, Yanks, Redsox, Twins and Brewers) one thing I see as a positive for the White Sox is we are developing/collecting both position players and pitchers. The Cubs have to keep buying SP (Darvish and Lester) same with Astros (Verlander and Cole), Red Sox (Price and Sale (Trade but LT signinging) and Yanks. Brew crew and Twins have not spent on SP but not really developed a strong SP staff. The Sox are well positioned with home grown / acquired pitching talent with Giolito, Kopech, Lopez (Could be his year), Rodon (same here) and other like Dunning and Lambert. Plus we have core position players like Eloy, Moncada, Abreu, McCann, Madrigal (pending), Roberts (pending), Anderson, Vaughn (pending). Free agent SP acquisitions are expensive and crap-shoots...for every Lester there are FA SP's that fail. There is less likelihood of a FA failure with position players and they are less expensive. We will need a couple of FA SP's in 2020 but do not need a #1 and pay the $250mm that Cole will get. Yes, I like Cole but I also know if you sign him and he is so so or gets hurt the rebuild will stall with such a big $$ commitment. The Sox can't absorb the cost of failure like that (The Yanks, Dodgers, Redsox and Cubs) can because they have more revenue ...we have to be realistic. Go Sox!!