White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Prospects don’t sit at AA just because they are struggling, or there is a better player on the roster. The whole point of the league is player development, not wins and losses. Besides, right now there’s actually no issue with playing time at Birmingham. I think they only have 3 full-time OFs right now on the roster: Booker, Gonzalez, and Rutherford. They could probably promote Robert now, and then one of the 4 would sit or DH (with Adolpho sitting) on any given night. That’s not the worst thing in the world - everyone starts in about 80% of the games.

The log jam is going to hit in about a month when Adolpho is cleared to play the OF and Basabe is back. Hopefully by then someone will merit a callup to AAA, though right now that’s not looking very likely.
There isn't a logjam now because they're missing Basabe and taking it easy with Adolfo. If you add those two guys AND Robert into the mix, that's six players for what should be four spots. Barring a trade, they should send Booker up and someone else down...and Rutherford is the obvious choice to send down for a few months.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Great outing by Cease today, Fulmer with a nice 2 IP stint (ERA now 1.29).
Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
They both had a double and Robert tacked on a triple and is currently OPSing 1.5+.
....and Madrigal with a triple in today's game.

Also, Pilkington with a good start for Kanny last night:
6.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 K. Over his first 2 starts of the season, he's sporting a 0.77 ERA, 2 BB, 14 K.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Great outing by Cease today, Fulmer with a nice 2 IP stint (ERA now 1.29).
Great to see that from those 2 guys. If Cease and Kopech can become 2 ace-level pitchers for us, that'll go a long way to making this rebuild a success. Nice to see Fulmer looking good out of the pen so far. He's got talent, so it would be a shame to have him turn out to be bust.

By the way, Collins with a HR last night and then 0 for 4 today. He's hitting .207 in 29 ABs this year. Incredibly all of his hits so far this year have been 5 HRs and one triple. Zero singles and zero doubles in his first 8 games this season.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 PM
WSI Prelate

The Birmingham bats woke up today. Everyone in the lineup had at least 1 hit. Sheets was 3 for 5 with a double, Gonzalez 2 for 5 with a triple, Adolfo with a double. Rivera was 2 for 5 and Booker was 3 for 4. Booker is hitting .433 so far this season.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
That seems much more likely (assuming, of course, Robert continues to dominate). The comment of not seeing him on the South Side for a “few more
years” jumped off the page.
I think it's going to be a combination of how Robert keeps performing and how the White Sox are doing at the Major league level. If Robert tears it up all year up all levels and the Sox are out of it by August, then you may see a few weeks of him in Sept when the Minor league season ends. IF the Sox are actually in the hunt for the division in July/August you could see him then, if he is still tearing it up.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm trying to get a babysitter for Sunday afternoon so I can see Luis Robert and the Winston-Salem Dash play the Potomac Nationals in Woodbridge, VA (about 45 minutes outside of DC). Would suck for me if he gets promoted to AA later this week.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

A few of the younger prospects off to nice starts at Kanny- Walker, Pilkington and Sosa jump out- so important that they have productive drafts/signings behind the "wave" of prospects at A+/AA.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
There isn't a logjam now because they're missing Basabe and taking it easy with Adolfo. If you add those two guys AND Robert into the mix, that's six players for what should be four spots. Barring a trade, they should send Booker up and someone else down...and Rutherford is the obvious choice to send down for a few months.
Yes, I noted that. My point was that I think they can roster 5 players for those 4 positions (3 OF + DH) and still have ample playing time for everyone. In which case only one move would have to be made, and it wouldn't have to be made for a month when Basabe returns.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I know this will be a huge surprise, but Luis Robert was named Carolina League POTW last week...

https://www.milb.com/winston-salem/n...rs/c-306272004

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I know this will be a huge surprise, but Luis Robert was named Carolina League POTW last week...

https://www.milb.com/winston-salem/n...rs/c-306272004
Despite Rick Hahn's meddling.....

Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

It's good to see Madrigal has shaken off his slow start. It would be great to see him bat .360 or something and silence the doubters.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Winner 2019 PTC Contest

Too many people were soft on Madrigal.

Guy will be good.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Too many people were soft on Madrigal.

Guy will be good.
I agree. He has an excellent baseball IQ (doesn't make dumb mistakes). Plus he makes great bat contact and plays defensively very well.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 PM
WSI Personality

Alec Hansen is now up to 4 IP without giving up a run or hit. K:BB is 7:2. This looks like the ace pitcher from 2017, not the guy who couldn't find the plate last season. Has anyone heard a recent update on what the plan is with him moving forward?
Closed Thread