GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideSox View Post
The south loop is being built up quickly but it takes more than just condos after condos to build a community out of nothing.
Anybody who thinks that the South Loop is not a community because it has high rises doesn't know this area in any depth at all. And even when it did not have the housing stock it has now -- and high rise condos are not the only form of that here -- it sure as hell wasn't nothing. You're entitled to your opinions. But facts are facts. To cite only one: Old St. Mary's Church, founded in 1833, moved to the South Loop (9th and Wabash) after the Great Fire burned down its building at Wabash and Madison. Chicago's first and oldest parish is still here, in a 21st century church at 15th and Michigan, and now there's a school as well. Built by the faith community. Plenty of other faith communities, as well as schools, universities, businesses, parks, non-profits, world class museums and people make up our community.

And there are a lot of lakefront northsiders who would be surprised to learn that you can't have a community in an area with a lot of high rise condos.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 PM
WSI Personality

I guess I don't see your point. I see a light green area labeled positive change.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Tribune Ranks the Neighborhoods Surrounding MLB Ballparks

The Tribune rated the surrounding neighborhoods of MLB Ballparks today. The Sox wound up at #20 while the Cubs ranked highly at #2. Granted there's a lot more bars/restaurants around Wrigley than GRF, but I still think Wrigley is a pain in the ass to get to compared to our park.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...togallery.html
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
The Tribune rated the surrounding neighborhoods of MLB Ballparks today. The Sox wound up at #20 while the Cubs ranked highly at #2. Granted there's a lot more bars/restaurants around Wrigley than GRF, but I still think Wrigley is a pain in the ass to get to compared to our park.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...togallery.html
How do they fail to mention Cork & Kerry? Isn't it still there? I've never been, except a couple of times when it was Jimbo's, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

But anyway, it's pretty pathetic to not have anything around the park. There can still be parking lots, but I think it can make a difference by having more than the Sox-owned Chi-Sox Bar. They need to change the lease on those lots and start letting other businesses on the land. The Sox will still make money. How are they so blind to not be able to figure this out?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
How do they fail to mention Cork & Kerry? Isn't it still there? I've never been, except a couple of times when it was Jimbo's, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

But anyway, it's pretty pathetic to not have anything around the park. There can still be parking lots, but I think it can make a difference by having more than the Sox-owned Chi-Sox Bar. They need to change the lease on those lots and start letting other businesses on the land. The Sox will still make money. How are they so blind to not be able to figure this out?
Doesn't JR own the parking concession company?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
If they moved to Bedford Park I'd probably never go to a game.
Yeah, that's a bad idea. It's enough of a pain already for those of us in the Northern/North Shore suburbs but getting down to Bedford Park would suck.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
This is the thing that I think spells the end of the Sox in Chicago. There is no way in hell either the state, city, or ownership will pay for a new stadium. GRF is already horribly outdated, and I'd imagine that once JR passes and the Sox are sold, new ownership will want a new stadium, and its either going to be pay up or cya later. I'd imagine that the latter will happen. Enjoy the Sox while they're still here.
You're wrong, GRF is one of the most enjoyable places I've been to see a game. If you want sexy, look elsewhere but it's one of the few places built for the fans. The upper deck may be high, and I hate the idea of not allowing upper deck ticketholders to the main concourse, but every seat is good.

Also, the Sox have the best rental agreement in the league and would be fools to pass it up in a workable park, whether Jerry owns it or if new ownership takes over. With the leagues-wide backlash against committing funds to stadiums, the only better deal would be a new park is privately financed, and then there wouldn't be a location/government financing issue.

Last edited by russ99; 07-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Yeah, that's a bad idea. It's enough of a pain already for those of us in the Northern/North Shore suburbs but getting down to Bedford Park would suck.
Yeah, Toyota Park is the poster child of bad stadium moves to the suburbs, bad for ownership, bad for the town it's built in and bad for the fans. I went to lots of Fire games when they were at Soldier Field, I've been to one in Bridgeview.

If I were looking into building a new stadium in Chicago, I'd be looking at that old Finkl steel mill parcel at Cortland and the river. Looks like a soccer stadium is going in already, and DePaul were rumored to go there before they built Wintrust Arena.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
You're wrong, GRF is one of the most enjoyable places I've been to see a game. If you want sexy, look elsewhere but it's one of the few places built for the fans. The upper deck may be high, and I hate the idea of not allowing upper deck ticketholders to the main concourse, but every seat is good
That's true for the lower deck but couldn't be more off for the upper deck which starts high, is too far from the field, and too steep due to all of the skyboxes. That upper deck was not built with the fans in mind
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
That's true for the lower deck but couldn't be more off for the upper deck which starts high, is too far from the field, and too steep due to all of the skyboxes. That upper deck was not built with the fans in mind
Upper deck behind the plate are some of the best seats in the stadium.

The park is perfectly fine, IMO.
The upgrades have been awesome.
The new-ish videoboard is amazing.

I do not work for the Sox.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Two things I would strive to do if I were owner:

1) I'd get out of Chicago. I'd find some property that cuts across I-55/I-355 and build there.

2) I'd get out of Arizona, I'd move the team back to Florida.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

1) I'd get out of Chicago. I'd find some property that cuts across I-55/I-355 and build there.

Which CTA train line stops at I55 and I355? Could not find it on the map. Are you trying to drive down attendance as much as possible? With this location, you would succeed (there is no way on God's Green Earth you can make a 7:10 game from downtown if you get off work at 5:00. No way whatsoever. Traffic on the Stevenson that time of day is already a nightmare, through in a bunch of people driving to a Sox game and it gets worse. One accident on the outbound Stevenson after 5:00 and you're looking at a travel time to the stadium measured in days, not hours).

One of the main criticisms of the Angels' stadium is that it is the intersection of several major highways and it is impossible to get there and you can't wait to get out because there is nothing to do there.

Oh, what are the financial benefits of moving to the Intersection of two Interstates over leasing the park from the State?

Why move team to Florida after spending millions on the Arizona facility in recent years? Florida has only a few teams left there, more variety in Arizona to test the players against.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

I don't know if I've ever heard anyone share that opinion. Arizona is awesome for spring training. Lots of teams within an hour drive, new facilities (including Camelback), and lots of things to see and do in the valley.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
I don't know if I've ever heard anyone share that opinion. Arizona is awesome for spring training. Lots of teams within an hour drive, new facilities (including Camelback), and lots of things to see and do in the valley.

I concur. I visited Arizona for spring training this past March and found the experience excellent.

Other than to satisfy those who prefer humidity over dry heat, or those who want to go fishing, or those who live in or close to Florida, I can't think of any reason why the Sox would want to abandon Arizona to return to Florida.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM
WSI Prelate

I'm in favor of redevelopment that brings more residential, retail, restaurant, and commercial development to the immediate neighborhood.

As for what to do when the stadium itself is deemed obsolete, the logical place to build a new stadium is downtown, in proximity to multiple CTA and Metra rail lines. This won't be a popular opinion with either fan base, but the solution that makes the most sense is a shared stadium with a retractable roof. The parcel south of Roosevelt, between Clark and the River (yes, I understand it's already in the process of being developed) would be the ideal location for such a concept. Who could argue with 162 dates a year with easily-accessible major league baseball, plus plenty of other types of events - like concerts - that could be accommodated under a dome between November and April?