White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 AM
WSI Personality

3 managers are being implicated: Beltran, Hinch, and Cora

https://theathletic.com/1376638/2019...-stealing/?amp

I don't know if we'll see lifetime bans but I'm betting all 3 may get a 50 game suspension.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Like with the Patrick Kane incident, I'm going to wait until all the facts are in before I express an opinion or mete out a punishment.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-14-2019, 09:02 AM
WSI Personality

The difference here is some pretty damning evidence is already out in the open for everyone to see.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Also, let's think in reality. NO WAY were they doing this on EVERY pitch at home. If they were doing it on every pitch, they would have been caught a lot easier. They probably only did it in crucial times or when they were down and needed a hit or someone on base. I'd be curious to know how well they did in the 7th, 8th, and 9th at Home the past 3 years.
Last year the Astros were winless when trailing after the 7th.

More proof than a sketchy video is needed. He could have been tipping. The banging proves they were on to him, but little else.

The Astros use video on iPads extensively to prepare their hitters for incoming relief pitchers.

Beltran has already come out and said it's nonsense. They stole signs like everyone else, but didn't use video. BTW: Beltran was the player who saw that Darvish was tipping pitches in the Series.

Just because they're astute at picking up things doesn't prove this. Until proven guilty.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
3 managers are being implicated: Beltran, Hinch, and Cora

https://theathletic.com/1376638/2019...-stealing/?amp

I don't know if we'll see lifetime bans but I'm betting all 3 may get a 50 game suspension.
Interviewing them as part of an investigation is hardly "being implicated".

The Red Sox got fined for using apple watches, the following season.

At most they'll lose a pick and/or international signing money, if proven guilty.

Last edited by russ99; 11-14-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

More proof than a sketchy video is needed. He could have been tipping. The banging proves they were on to him, but little else.

The Astros use video on iPads extensively to prepare their hitters for incoming relief pitchers.

Beltran has already come out and said it's nonsense. They stole signs like everyone else, but didn't use video. BTW: Beltran was the player who saw that Darvish was tipping pitches in the Series.

Just because they're astute at picking up things doesn't prove this. Until proven guilty.

I really wouldn't have any problem with removing all electronic devices from the dugout. Figuring out the opposing third-base coach's signs or a runner on second picking up the catcher's signs is one team taking advantage of another team not being diligent. Three decades ago, the White Sox used to have Joe Nossek positioning the defense as their "eye-in-the-sky" and the American League put him back in the dugout because the Orioles claimed he was stealing signs without even the benefit of 1990 technology. If electronics are making it easier, simply take every electronics and communications device (other than a monitored bullpen phone) out of the dugout.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default The Shot Heard around the World

The 1951 Giants comes to mind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHSdzb37uOg
Old 11-14-2019, 03:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
More proof than a sketchy video is needed.
https://twitter.com/trevorplouffe/st...64380620066817

How about 2 players who are also now saying the Astros cheated?
Old 11-14-2019, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Id be perfectly fine if the manager, coaches, and players on the field/at the plate were all connected by microphone/headsets, not unlike in fort all where the offensive play caller can communicate with the quarterback, and the defensive play caller can communicate with one of the defensive players.

The use of hand signals, and stealing signs, is not so integral to my enjoyment of the game that their elimination in favor of technology would affect me in any way as a fan.

So, when a team is in the field:

Let the manager talk to the fielders and the pitcher;

Let the pitching coach talk to the pitcher and the catcher.

And when a team is at bat:

Let the manager and hitting coach talk to the hitter;

Let the manager and first and third base coaches talk to the base runners.

But hey, Im in favor of computers calling balls and strikes, too.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

If nothing else, the Sox should have a "Mini Trash Can" give away promotion for one of the Astros games in 2020. I e-mailed Brooks.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
If nothing else, the Sox should have a "Mini Trash Can" give away promotion for one of the Astros games in 2020. I e-mailed Brooks.
Nice.

One team that could not do this at their home stadium is the Indians. They would have to get rid of that guy in the outfield and his non-stop drum.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Id be perfectly fine if the manager, coaches, and players on the field/at the plate were all connected by microphone/headsets, not unlike in fort all where the offensive play caller can communicate with the quarterback, and the defensive play caller can communicate with one of the defensive players.

The use of hand signals, and stealing signs, is not so integral to my enjoyment of the game that their elimination in favor of technology would affect me in any way as a fan.

So, when a team is in the field:

Let the manager talk to the fielders and the pitcher;

Let the pitching coach talk to the pitcher and the catcher.

And when a team is at bat:

Let the manager and hitting coach talk to the hitter;

Let the manager and first and third base coaches talk to the base runners.

But hey, Im in favor of computers calling balls and strikes, too.
I'm in favor of computers calling balls and strikes too. However, I'm with TDog on all the rest.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://twitter.com/trevorplouffe/st...64380620066817

How about 2 players who are also now saying the Astros cheated?
Who are they and why haven't they come forward?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Agree 100%, that's what I was saying earlier in the thread, that I need more than Mike Fiers complaining (bear in mind he cheerfully returned to Houston as a Tiger months later and accepted his WS ring, hardly indication he was upset at the game not being played the right way) and a video from a Yankee homer that shows some banging in the background and possibly some sign stealing.

Stealing signs is very legal and everyone does, some better than others. Where the line is, is using cameras, etc. and if they did that, if it's PROVED they did that, then yes they should be fined or lose draft picks, etc. But so far despite all the internet outrage I haven't seen a single thing that proves they used tech to do this.

Even yesterday on Mad Dog Sports they (Yankee homers there too) they grudgingly admitted Rosenthal told them they had no evidence of any tech or camera use by the Astros in the 2017 playoffs. Only "suspicions". You'd think if this was an ongoing thing, since the original video is well over two years old now, this would have come out much sooner and with much more detail. But we'll see what happens. If there's proof then book em. If not, move along.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
Which one? The one pasted in above? Again massive holes get blown in this thing when you look at Houston's home and road scoring in 2017, and how many times they lost at home in the playoffs this year and last year.

Show me real hard evidence they did this or it "aided" them to win the WS and I'll buy it.
The Faruqhar video is indisputable proof that they were attempting to steal signs with the CF video feed. There's no debate on that, correct?

Whether they were 100% successful is a different matter. The intent to steal signs was clearly there however.

Your entire argument seems to be that they can only be proven guilty if they won games or won the World Series. That's fundamentally wrong.