White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,067
Default

Anyone here subscribe to Baseball America? They have an updated mock draft from 4/3. I'm curious who they predict the Sox go with....
  #62  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM
JohnTucker0814 JohnTucker0814 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 4,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Anyone here subscribe to Baseball America? They have an updated mock draft from 4/3. I'm curious who they predict the Sox go with....
Shane McLanahan LHP South Florida. The blurb says he has the best pure stuff in this draft. I'm okay with that. Especially since he's a lefty, I'm okay adding quality pitching, even though it seems we have a lot of it.

PS Gorman not included in the top 10 right now.
  #63  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Shane McLanahan LHP South Florida. The blurb says he has the best pure stuff in this draft. I'm okay with that. Especially since he's a lefty, I'm okay adding quality pitching, even though it seems we have a lot of it.

PS Gorman not included in the top 10 right now.
Thank you for sharing.

I saw another mock that showed Gorman dropping and Beer climbing back into the top 10. Madrigal started '18 very strong but apparently has been hurt.

I agree with regard to more pitching. I'm just a little impatient with prep players since you really can't expect them to make an impact until 3-4 years down the road.

Anything on Turang?

Edit: Oops. Just saw that McClannahan is at South Florida.
  #64  
Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 431
Default

Do you go best player available in the draft?
  #65  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Do you go best player available in the draft?
I think that is usually 'best practice.' However, I wonder if they'll draft with quick ascension and need in mind.

The prospect that intrigues me right now is Nick Madrigal. I know he's a Smurf, but seems like the Sox future outfield is a bit crowded at the moment with Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, Avi (if he doesn't get traded), etc.

With that said, you can never have too many pitchers and they can use some of their depth to trade to fill a hole.
  #66  
Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,732
Default

I am really excited to see the College season shake out this year.

Seth Beer has made an adjustment with his hands that has his power numbers absolutely SKYROCKETING. Think about that for a second.. the best pure power hitter in the draft made an adjustment to be even more dangerous.

If he keeps this up, no way do I pass on him.
__________________
  #67  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am really excited to see the College season shake out this year.

Seth Beer has made an adjustment with his hands that has his power numbers absolutely SKYROCKETING. Think about that for a second.. the best pure power hitter in the draft made an adjustment to be even more dangerous.

If he keeps this up, no way do I pass on him.
We’ll pass on him with our fourth pick, guaranteed.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #68  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We’ll pass on him with our fourth pick, guaranteed.
It all depends on how the year goes. I by no means think he will keep homering at this rate, but say he just has a MONSTER year, no way do they pass on that kind of impact bat and potential over position.

I don't think he will, and I think they do pass, but more what I am saying is, if this hands back adjustment leads to him leading the nation in homers, he is in the convo for sure.
  #69  
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,201
Default

I just can't get behind drafting a future DH at #4, no matter the power numbers he puts up in college.
  #70  
Old 04-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
I just can't get behind drafting a future DH at #4, no matter the power numbers he puts up in college.
Normally, I'd agree but if Davidson can't stick, they're going to need one at some point. If he continues to pound the ball and he's sitting there at #4, it'd be really hard to pass him up. Also, he should fit into their timeline pretty well.

Looking at his '18 stats, he's only hitting .283 but has only K'd 15x in 115 PA. Not many power hitters make that type of contact.
  #71  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,770
Default

His babip must be absurdly low.
  #72  
Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Normally, I'd agree but if Davidson can't stick, they're going to need one at some point. If he continues to pound the ball and he's sitting there at #4, it'd be really hard to pass him up. Also, he should fit into their timeline pretty well.

Looking at his '18 stats, he's only hitting .283 but has only K'd 15x in 115 PA. Not many power hitters make that type of contact.
In another draft I might agree, but there are some really high ceiling guys at premium positions (middle infield, LHSP) that will be available at 4. I would hate to pass them up for a guy like Beer. It's too bad he's got that stone glove -- otherwise I'd be on board.
  #73  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Normally, I'd agree but if Davidson can't stick, they're going to need one at some point.
Jose Abreu
  #74  
Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We’ll pass on him with our fourth pick, guaranteed.
As we should.
  #75  
Old 04-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,732
Default

If you think a batter could be a 900 ops, 30 homer 100 rbi guy, the position doesn’t matter. Paul Goldschmidt is worth a lot more than Stephen Drew. Just depends how the Sox value the bat.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.