White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save McCuddy's
1) Never used the word "know".

2) How do you "know" that Young is at least a year behind Anderson developmentally? Have you been measuring their underarm hair?

Other than the musings of prognosticators and the team's PR, where do you draw that conclusion from? I look at their minor league stats and reflect on the 34 PA's BA had in the bigs last year and I don't see a player that is over a year ahead of Young.

If we could poll the scouts and "experts" that have seen both play, they would tell you that Young was the better defensive center fielder already. Granted, BA is undoubtedly more mature physically and has the stronger arm. That I will give you.

In my estimation, both players would require 100 or more at bats this season to begin to adjust to the bigs. Going for the title or not, I'd take the better defensive center fielder with the bigger upside every time.

Ideally, I'd have both of them and McCarthy in my rotation. But then again, I was against the Podsednik acquisition, so *** do I know?
I have seen both in the minors. Anderson is well ahead of Young and is ready to break into the majors. Given 100 ABs this year, he should be contributing. Young would take a lot more. I asked a Japanese friend of mine who is a scout, covering both the international and southern leagues and he told me flat out, Young would spend a year in their minors before he came up. Anderson is ready.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
How do you "know" that Young is at least a year behind Anderson developmentally?
Probably because he knows that Anderson was in AA a full year before Young was in AA.

Quote:
Other than the musings of prognosticators and the team's PR, where do you draw that conclusion from?
I promise you that the opinions stated in this forum are not based on "the team's PR." Most of the regular contributors to this forum have actually seen our prospects play and don't need to rely solely on stat sheets and deeply flawed statistical analysis.

Quote:
I look at their minor league stats and reflect on the 34 PA's BA had in the bigs last year and I don't see a player that is over a year ahead of Young.
While you're looking at the stats, note that Anderson's stats say "Chicago White Sox" and "Charlotte Knights," while Young's stats say "Birmingham Barons." Also, note that 34 PAs have no statistical significance. What did you think of Young's big-league plate appearances last year?

Quote:
If we could poll the scouts and "experts" that have seen both play, they would tell you that Young was the better defensive center fielder already.
Don't state your conjecture as fact. Both Randar and I have seen Anderson and Young play in person many times. Anderson > Young defensively. In particular (as you've conceded) Anderson's arm >>> Young's arm. I suspect that you would have a hard time finding a scout who disagrees with this assessment, but feel free to give it a shot. Otherwise, stop telling us what unnamed people think without providing a factual basis for your claim.

Quote:
*** do I know?
This line is WAY too easy to jump on, but I wouldn't be surprised if Randar disagrees.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
1) Never used the word "know".

2) How do you "know" that Young is at least a year behind Anderson developmentally? Have you been measuring their underarm hair?

Other than the musings of prognosticators and the team's PR, where do you draw that conclusion from? I look at their minor league stats and reflect on the 34 PA's BA had in the bigs last year and I don't see a player that is over a year ahead of Young.

If we could poll the scouts and "experts" that have seen both play, they would tell you that Young was the better defensive center fielder already. Granted, BA is undoubtedly more mature physically and has the stronger arm. That I will give you.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that you have never even watched Young so much as swing a bat(well, maybe the nationally televised Futures game). I would also venture to say that you are judging BA on what he did in 34 AB's last season, which when you compare to how he's adjusted and performed at every other level(while being moved at a very advanced pace) are extremely unfair. I have seen both play in person, and will say without a doubt Brian is a better player right now, and will also take a shot in saying he will be far more consistent(more steady not to mention, higher AVG, OBP ) with the bat in the future. The reason why Young is hyped on D, is because he is faster, which in most cases leads to more range. While he does push BA in the range category, Brian gets far better jumps, and I even saw Young over-utilize his speed down here in the AFL by overrunning and back tracking on some balls Brian would have had in his back pocket.

In the future don't claim false knowledge you base strictly on what you read in a box score to try and refute the claims of someone who is more knowledgeable about, as well as actually seeing the player in question. Also, you are the one who is basing your argument on,"the musings of prognosticators and the team's PR," so don't even bring that up.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that you have never even watched Young so much as swing a bat(well, maybe the nationally televised Futures game). I would also venture to say that you are judging BA on what he did in 34 AB's last season, which when you compare to how he's adjusted and performed at every other level(while being moved at a very advanced pace) are extremely unfair. I have seen both play in person, and will say without a doubt Brian is a better player right now, and will also take a shot in saying he will be far more consistent(more steady not to mention, higher AVG, OBP ) with the bat in the future. The reason why Young is hyped on D, is because he is faster, which in most cases leads to more range. While he does push BA in the range category, Brian gets far better jumps, and I even saw Young over-utilize his speed down here in the AFL by overrunning and back tracking on some balls Brian would have had in his back pocket.

In the future don't claim false knowledge you base strictly on what you read in a box score to try and refute the claims of someone who is more knowledgeable about, as well as actually seeing the player in question. Also, you are the one who is basing your argument on,"the musings of prognosticators and the team's PR," so don't even bring that up.
I will concede the point that I have never seen Young nor Anderson play in the minors and rely solely on second hand information in forming my opinion.

I hope you guys and BP which has linked BA to Andy Van Slyke are right.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will concede the point that I have never seen Young nor Anderson play in the minors and rely solely on second hand information in forming my opinion.

I hope you guys and BP which has linked BA to Andy Van Slyke are right.
Glad you went down like a gentleman.