White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

Default Felix Pie

At the risk of being called "Flubssesed" by FWC, I have a question about the highly touted Cubs prospect Felix Pie.

Is he more hype than anything? I've been hearing a lot about him for the last couple years. I heard somewhere that he was another Corey Patterson where he was drafted for his speed more than anything.

Basically, what's the word on him. Just curious.

If this is What's the Score material, I apologize.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
WSI Regular

I think that he has a lot of the tools patterson has, which is a good thing for him. He can run, hit for power, steal, but has pretty poor plate patience right now. If he works out on that in the minor and the Cubs do not rush him up to fast, which i do not think they will with jones pierre and murton up there, he could be a solid major leaguer. He has a high ceiling and cubs fans are hoping he has a better head on his shoulders than patterson did.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan
I think that he has a lot of the tools patterson has, which is a good thing for him. He can run, hit for power, steal, but has pretty poor plate patience right now. If he works out on that in the minor and the Cubs do not rush him up to fast, which i do not think they will with jones pierre and murton up there, he could be a solid major leaguer. He has a high ceiling and cubs fans are hoping he has a better head on his shoulders than patterson did.
I'd say you are pretty much right, though his power really has yet to fully develop.

If any starter gets hurt or struggles Pie will be the first guy called up most likely. The cubs seem pretty intent on rushing him. Last season the only reason Pie wasn't called up was because he came down with an injury just before Murton and Greenberg got called up.

He looks like he should develop into something decent. Though he is exactly the kind of player the cubs don't need while Baker is manager. A toolsy guy who he can look at and say "hmm, leadoff man" because of his speed, however his bat appears better situated for lower in the order.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Yes, it's What's the Score? material. This forum is for Sox prospects.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:05 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Yes, it's What's the Score? material. This forum is for Sox prospects.
No, it is for minor league discussion, or at least it was when I created it.

Has something changed that I was not informed of?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Default Nothing intelligent to add to the conversation here

His name is funny - Felix Pie! Ha!

I think he's destined to be the guy the Cubs didn't trade for the future superstar - I can see the post now in some 2035 discussion board - Back in 2006, the Cubs could have got (insert name of future hall of famer who none of us have yet heard of), however, the organization would not part with their top prospect, Felix Pie. They were willing to trade Eskimo Pie and Felix the Cat, but they would not trade Felix Pie, a career .232 hitter whose is best remember for having a ball bounce off his head for a home run in the final game of the 2008 city series.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver

But wait...if this forum is for all minor league teams, then the Cubs themselves are fair game. And we don't even need What's the Score!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehosaphat
His name is funny - Felix Pie! Ha!

I think he's destined to be the guy the Cubs didn't trade for the future superstar - I can see the post now in some 2035 discussion board - Back in 2006, the Cubs could have got (insert name of future hall of famer who none of us have yet heard of), however, the organization would not part with their top prospect, Felix Pie. They were willing to trade Eskimo Pie and Felix the Cat, but they would not trade Felix Pie, a career .232 hitter whose is best remember for having a ball bounce off his head for a home run in the final game of the 2008 city series.
I think he's destined to join that illustrious group of cub 'super-prosects' like:

Ty Griffin
Gary Scott
Lance Dickson
Pookie Bernstein
Earl Cunningham
Kevin Roberson
Pedro Castellano

and of course, the next Fergie Jenkins, Mike Harkey!!!

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver

Thanks, Daver.

I was scared, I thought I'd get ripped for starting this thread. haha

But it was a real question...thanks for the insight guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Pie strikes out too much. Potential to become another C. PAtterson.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Chet Lemon
Pie strikes out too much. Potential to become another C. PAtterson.
No one can predict a Corey Patterson. Here are some Sox & Cubs prospects, some Sox & Cubs busts, some future hall of famers, some unnotables, some top prospects from other teams...

MINOR LEAGUE at-bat/strikeout rates
Chris Getz CWS: 19.83 (warning! small sample size of 238 ab's!)
Albert Pujols STL: 10.43
Vlad Guerrero LAA: 9.46
Ryan Sweeney CWS: 7.98
Robert Valido CWS: 7.84
Jerry Owens CWS: 7.13
Ryan Zimmerman WAS: 6.76
Alfonso Soriano WAS: 6.61
Ross Gload CWS: 6.46
Paul Konerko CWS: 6.00
Juan Uribe CWS: 5.82
Joe Crede CWS: 5.37
Mark Teixeira TEX: 5.31
Ben Grieve CWS: 5.13
Stephen Drew ARI: 5.10
Alex Rodriguez NYY: 5.08
Ken Griffey, Jr CIN: 4.95
Delmon Young TB: 4.89
Corey Patterson BAL: 4.85
Lastings Milledge NYM: 4.78
Jim Thome CWS: 4.73
Brian N Anderson CWS: 4.70
Eric Patterson CHC: 4.57
Frank Thomas OAK: 4.54
Manny Ramirez BOS: 4.53
Felix Pie CHC: 4.45
BJ Upton TB: 4.22
Brian Dopirak CHC: 4.20
Hee Sop Choi LAD: 4.03
Joe Borchard CWS: 3.74
Chris Young ARI: 3.67
Josh Fields CWS: 3.39
Ryan Howard PHI: 3.18
Ryan Harvey CHC: 3.16

Now, I just grabbed a few that jumped out at me to see how they differed between minor careers and major careers:

Soriano 6.61 to 4.82
Thome 4.73 to 3.36
Patterson 4.85 to 3.94
Griffey to 4.95 to 5.56
Thomas to 4.54 to 5.97
Pujols to 10.43 to 8.59
Guerrero 9.46 to 8.08

So...

1. Corey Patterson was middle-of-the-road in the minors...And not-so-good in the majors. Heck, he had better K rates than Frank Thomas in the minors.

2. Jim Thome K's a lot. A LOT.

3. Albert Pujols and Vlad Guerrero are good. VERY GOOD.

4. Some people shift in a big way when they make the change...Some for the better, some not so much.

5. Jim Thome really, really, really, really, really, really K's a lot. Thank god he hits the crap out of the things he makes contact with and knows how to walk.

6. I love me some Ryan Sweeney (NO, it's not time to call him up. Late 2007 or the start of 2008, maybe).

7. Is Chris Getz our future Nellie Fox, or a guy with a lucky first season in the minors?

8. You can't predict a Corey Patterson total-meltdown type of guy.

9. Boy, that Jim Thome fella knows how to K.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
WSI Personality

Interesting K rate analysis. I prefer K/BB ratio as a truer indication of a guy's value. A guy like Thome runs a lot of long counts and, therefore, strikes out a lot, but he also walks a lot. (Young is like that too.) A guy like Corey P. hardly ever walks but strikes out a lot due to holes in his swing. Then you got guys like Vlad (and I think Sweeney while not as good is similar in contact ability) who have very few holes and consequently put a lot of balls in play, but don't walk that much.

As far as Getz is concerned, look up his numbers at Michigan. The guy almost never strikes out, and with basically zero power, it's a good thing too.

Finally, I've never seen Pie play. (Hope to see him when Cubs play Sox in Tucson.) But one difference between him and Corey, Pie has been a winner everywhere he's played. People say he has the type of intangibles to make it, where Corey's stubborn resistence to adjustments is what has, so far, held back his career.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1
I think he's destined to join that illustrious group of cub 'super-prosects' like:

Ty Griffin
Gary Scott
Lance Dickson
Man ....I remember reading about these guys all the freaking time.
Of course, I also remember reading all about Kerry Wood, CPatterson, JGarland too. Remember when Brooks Kieschnik was drafted?
There was an IMMEDIATE fluff piece on him about how much RAW power he had, how the fans in Wrigley were gonna love the guy and he'd be a folk hero before long, and they had him on the field just days after drafting him.
Man did he get a ton of hype ...................
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarSouthSoxFan
7. Is Chris Getz our future Nellie Fox, or a guy with a lucky first season in the minors?
How about "C) a guy who was far too advanced for the league he played in"
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Watching him play yesterday against the Sox, and after hearing a lot about him, I see him as a player with way too long of a swing. If he never cuts that down he will be in trouble throughout his career.

Go Sox....OH YEAH!