White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't mind if the pitcher matches Cotts' profile: prospect who has had many innings of success in AA.

The good news is that KW won't be able to throw them from AA directly into a starting slot (his former MO).
Old 03-20-2006, 01:11 PM
New At WSI

Spring Training

Hey guys. Does anybody know how Mike Spidale is doing in spring training? Does he have a chance to make it to the Big Leagues?

Thanks
Joe
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS05
Does he have a chance to make it to the Big Leagues?
He's an organizational player. He's a long-shot to ever get more than a cup-of-coffee.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
WSI Regular

"Randar68" please give us your "tell it like it is" report on Gomes.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee
"Randar68" please give us your "tell it like it is" report on Gomes.
I've yet to see him play. He's in minor league camp. I'll see him play at some point this season and give a report at that time.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
WSI Personality

Randar,

I assume that because Carter was given a couple at bats against the Cubs that he must be doing well in minor league camp. Is that a solid assumption?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Randar,

I assume that because Carter was given a couple at bats against the Cubs that he must be doing well in minor league camp. Is that a solid assumption?
Sometimes they just need a body. I don't know the story behind this particular event, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple other guys weren't available so they just sent Carter over from the minor league camp...

Lot's of low-level guys have had spot appearances this past week. Clayton Richard got the start yesterday, Josh Hansen got some AB's, etc. Don't read too much into it at this point.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Tyler Lumsden

Off-topic, but he's looking studly on the mound for us right now throwing 95 with a wicked breaker, and isn't missing his spots by much. Picking it up better than where he left off. I'm glad he's back and healthy as ever.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1
Off-topic, but he's looking studly on the mound for us right now throwing 95 with a wicked breaker, and isn't missing his spots by much. Picking it up better than where he left off. I'm glad he's back and healthy as ever.
Let's keep in mind that he was pitching through a dead-arm for most of his time in W-S his first year here.

Great to see him lighting it up, he's big-time if he can stay healthy. Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Let's keep in mind that he was pitching through a dead-arm for most of his time in W-S his first year here.

Great to see him lighting it up, he's big-time if he can stay healthy. Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.
Yup, that's why I said better than where he left off. He looks like his stuff is better than when I saw him in the CWS a few years ago. Really, really smart decision by Wilder and Co. to give the guy a full season to heal before seeing action.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Much higher-ceiling prospect than the other pitching prospects we gave up this offseason.
I can't agree with that. Even though Lumsden is a great prospect, I don't think he has the ceiling that Gio has. You don't see many curveballs like that when watching a 19 year old.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1
He looked good. That ball was getting to home plate in a hurry, man.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I can't agree with that. Even though Lumsden is a great prospect, I don't think he has the ceiling that Gio has. You don't see many curveballs like that when watching a 19 year old.
Have you seen Lumsden's curve from behind the plate? Complemented by a 95 MPH fastball and a much more durable frame.

Lumsden has a much better fastball and his curve is little, if any, behind Gio's.

Lumsden has closer-type stuff or #1/#2 type stuff. Gio reminds me too much of Jim Parque... max-effort delivery with a small frame and a 90 mph fastball. Gio's curve is better, I agree.

I said ceiling, and Gio isn't ever going to be a 200 IP pitcher on a yearly basis nor could he be a 60-game closer out of the pen, meaning he'll never really be more than a #3 or #4 starter at tops.

Lumsden's ceiling is much higher than that.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
WSI Personality

What's Lumden's main focus for the year? Location and an offspeed pitch? Sounds like he's fairly close if we wanted him for the bullpen but in my opinion starter >>>>>> reliever. Hopefully in his first extended chance to work with our coaches while fully healthy he'll get a serviceable change and zoom up with Liotta and Broadway to become one of our top prospects.

Also, any word on how Russell has thrown this spring? He's an interesting prospect.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
What's Lumden's main focus for the year? Location and an offspeed pitch? Sounds like he's fairly close if we wanted him for the bullpen but in my opinion starter >>>>>> reliever. Hopefully in his first extended chance to work with our coaches while fully healthy he'll get a serviceable change and zoom up with Liotta and Broadway to become one of our top prospects.

Also, any word on how Russell has thrown this spring? He's an interesting prospect.
Lumsden needs to work on his cutter and change after missing a full year, but being 100% is the main focus. He needs a good 3rd pitch that he can command. His control on his curve is a little too sporadic at this point, but it's such a devastating pitch coming off that 95 mph fastball. Like most young pitchers, location and offspeed pitches are the focus. Could be devastating on lefties if he commands the cutter.

Haven't heard anything about Russell yet, but he's always been an intriguing guy at his size/build. He was throwing harder this past year and if he continues to get into better shape, show a good work ethic, he has good potential.

Most of the good minor league info coming out of spring training really hits when guys start reporting to their teams.