White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2019, 05:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The ninth inning summed up what frustrates me about baseball 2019. The Astros are down by 4. They need base runners. Did anybody shorten up and try to just make contact? Nope. Everybody is still swinging for the fences. So the results? Popup, strikeout, strikeout. Game over.

When Brantley's drive went foul with two outs in the ninth, I told my wife a home run there wouldn't be any better than a single. A home run doesn't bring the typing run to the plate any sooner than a well-placed bunt.

But I had a bigger fundamental problem with the Nationals leaving a runner on third after he got there with Eaton's one-out single in the top of the ninth. It's the ninth inning of the seventh game of the World Series, and you can't get home a runner from third with one out? It's your last chance to score, and you don't know what will happen in the bottom of the ninth. If the Astros load the bases down by five, the tying run is only on deck. Apparently, though, another run would have meant the Astros would have to hit five solo home runs to tie the game instead of four. As with the White Sox not scoring Pierzynski after his ninth-inning leadoff double with a 1-0 lead in 2005 before the Astros got their last swings of the season, winning the World Series tends to make people forget the fundamental mistakes along the way.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The ninth inning summed up what frustrates me about baseball 2019. The Astros are down by 4. They need base runners. Did anybody shorten up and try to just make contact? Nope. Everybody is still swinging for the fences. So the results? Popup, strikeout, strikeout. Game over.

It seems to me that baseball is definitely lacking something, when it's just all about how many home runs you can hit . there's so many different facets to the game, that can be used to win . it's not only foolish not to use them, but makes the game so one dimensional.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Congratulations to the Washington Nationals . they never gave up, and they are a fun team to watch . now all White Sox fans eyes are on the front office.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Nats are the oldest team in baseball and their two best players are about to become free agents. This was their last shot at a championship and they certainly played like it. The NL Wild Card Game, Game 5 of the NLDS, and Games 6 and 7 of the World Series were all come from behind victories, in many cases against elite pitchers. They beat Verlander twice and Cole once.

Crazy that the home team lost every game, think of the people who spent thousands of dollars to watch their team lose.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Nats are the oldest team in baseball and their two best players are about to become free agents. This was their last shot at a championship and they certainly played like it. The NL Wild Card Game, Game 5 of the NLDS, and Games 6 and 7 of the World Series were all come from behind victories, in many cases against elite pitchers. They beat Verlander twice and Cole once.

Crazy that the home team lost every game, think of the people who spent thousands of dollars to watch their team lose.
Everything I'm seeing and hearing from Nats fans is that Strasburg opts out but stays with the Nationals. Rendon is likely gone; dude is going to get paaaaaaaid after what he did this past season and postseason.

I'm glad the Astros lost. Hinch blew it by pulling Greinke too early and not having Cole pitch. And as Nellie said, all their players were swinging for the fences while Nats hitters were out there trying to make good contact.

Who predicted the Nationals to win it all this season? Not me...I had Houston or the Yankees.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yep. Every batter tried to hit a 5-run homer.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell
Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Interesting side note: when Gerrit Cole was interviewed after Game 7, he felt it necessary to preface his remarks with "I am not an employee of the Houston Astros" and had already taken off his Astros hat and replaced it with a Scott Boras hat. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Am I reading this wrong, or doesn't that basically mean you have to run on that narrow line in the last 45'? If that's the case, all baserunners are always interfering because they never do that.

If the argument is the Ump thinks the baserunner was TRYING to impede the throw, that doesn't seem likely. But also impossible. Because he could have been directly in the center of that line the entire time and he'd still have impeded that throw. The throw was off. The first basemen set on the fair side of the bag and the throw was way off target and on the foul side of the bag. The only way a legal runner doesn't impede that catch is if the firstbasemen sets up in foul territory prior to the runner gettting there.
No, you're not reading it wrong. The definition of "in the lane" includes "feet touching the chalk". So if the runner heads directly along the foul line to first, feet touching the chalk most of the time, they are deemed in the lane. And that's what you see 99 times out of 100.

If Turner had run on the chalk of the foul line, and everything else happened exactly the same, it would have just been a 2-base error.

Obviously, this is one of those little known things that comes up rarely and causes great debate when it does. There's been a few other instances of obscure rules where professionals in the sport don't even know what the actual rule is, never mind us couch-hall-of-famers. But I can't think of one right now.

In any case, I'm glad that this is now a footnote on what was a really enjoyable world series. I was pulling for the Astros at first, but flipped midway thru because of the whole "never won it" thing.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Interesting side note: when Gerrit Cole was interviewed after Game 7, he felt it necessary to preface his remarks with "I am not an employee of the Houston Astros" and had already taken off his Astros hat and replaced it with a Scott Boras hat. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
That's first-class douche bag, if you ask me.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
That's first-class douche bag, if you ask me.
Or a guy who just lost the World Series and is extremely pissed off, knowing full well his manager basically blew it. He had every right to pack his stuff and walk right out given what his team has done over the last couple of weeks (especially what happened with their assistant GM).
Old 10-31-2019, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Congrats to the Nats! Not one member of the team has been on a World Series winner before and as noted, the team is looking at some personnel changes. They got it done when it needed to get done.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Everything I'm seeing and hearing from Nats fans is that Strasburg opts out but stays with the Nationals. Rendon is likely gone; dude is going to get paaaaaaaid after what he did this past season and postseason.

I'm glad the Astros lost. Hinch blew it by pulling Greinke too early and not having Cole pitch. And as Nellie said, all their players were swinging for the fences while Nats hitters were out there trying to make good contact.

Who predicted the Nationals to win it all this season? Not me...I had Houston or the Yankees.
That assumes the Greinke still had it and Cole was up to the task.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When Brantley's drive went foul with two outs in the ninth, I told my wife a home run there wouldn't be any better than a single. A home run doesn't bring the typing run to the plate any sooner than a well-placed bunt.

But I had a bigger fundamental problem with the Nationals leaving a runner on third after he got there with Eaton's one-out single in the top of the ninth. It's the ninth inning of the seventh game of the World Series, and you can't get home a runner from third with one out? It's your last chance to score, and you don't know what will happen in the bottom of the ninth. If the Astros load the bases down by five, the tying run is only on deck. Apparently, though, another run would have meant the Astros would have to hit five solo home runs to tie the game instead of four. As with the White Sox not scoring Pierzynski after his ninth-inning leadoff double with a 1-0 lead in 2005 before the Astros got their last swings of the season, winning the World Series tends to make people forget the fundamental mistakes along the way.
That “3B and <2” out play is basically a coin flip, and has been one for the past 50 or so years.

Speaking of stupid bunts, 2nd inning, 1st and 2nd, nobody out, Scherzer on the ropes after giving up a homer to lead off the inning and 2 more base hits after that, and A.J. Hinch gives Scherzer a free out.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Congrats to the Nats! Not one member of the team has been on a World Series winner before and as noted, the team is looking at some personnel changes. They got it done when it needed to get done.
Yes the Nationals are looking at some tough decisions after their parade (which I'm going to on Saturday).

The team is very close to the luxury tax. Rendon is a free agent, Strasburg is likely a free agent. Zimmerman comes off the books. Corbin is still due an enormous amount of money for many years. Scherzer is still on the books for 2 more seasons. There aren't really any good prospects in the minors. Robles, who was more hyped than Soto, seems to be a good defender and not much else. On the plus side, Juan Soto is everything Harper and Machado were supposed to be and is still making the league minimum.

You could see the argument for a tear-down and rebuild.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That “3B and <2” out play is basically a coin flip, and has been one for the past 50 or so years.

Speaking of stupid bunts, 2nd inning, 1st and 2nd, nobody out, Scherzer on the ropes after giving up a homer to lead off the inning and 2 more base hits after that, and A.J. Hinch gives Scherzer a free out.
Hinch probably managed his worst game, and it came in game 7. Here were his big mistakes in my mind:

Bunting in the 2nd inning, like previous posters said, he was getting hit hard.
Letting Greinke pitch to Soto in the 7th and then pulling him when he walked him. If Greinke is good enough to pitch to Soto, why wouldn't he be able to pitch to Kendrick? If you didn't think Greinke had enough, why wasn't someone brought in to face Soto after the HR by Rendon?

Then not having Cole ready to come in right after Greinke, even if it's just for 2 batters.

Eaton on 2nd with 2 outs and Soto at the plate... how do you not put Soto on the open bag at 1st and pitch to Kendrick? Soto singles and Eaton scores.

Those are some pretty big flaws in my mind that may have kept the Nationals from scoring 6 runs. Maybe the moves above back fire as well, you never know in baseball. But, seems the odds would have been better with different choices.

Also, Harris??? He's pitched in like every game, gave up a big HR the night before, no way he should be in the game there!