White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,993
Default

Corey Zangari 2 more HRs today.

Now has 9 in 17 games so far.

Only 21 years old. Look or him to get a call soon to Kannapolis.
  #107  
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
....and after the first 2 shaky innings, Hansen has now retired 9 in a row in the 3rd through 5th. He threw a whopping 9 pitches in the 5th inning.

As long as he's healthy, I'm ready to give him a few more weeks before sounding alarm bells too loudly.
Maybe but (you knew there had to be a "but" in there right?) forearm soreness in many cases leads to TJ surgery. Not all, but many. And Dunning is in the same damn position.

Cross your fingers.
  #108  
Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,728
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
(you knew there had to be a "but" in there right?)
In a ever-changing world, it’s comforting that Lip (negative/dark cloud) and Voodoo (positive/Pollyanna) remain fixed as the WSI polestars.

😜
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #109  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple
I love his talent, but if he can't get a full season next year, then I am writing him off.
That is insanity.

Robert doesn’t even need to be added to the 40-man for another two years. He then would have another three option years after that. He has plenty of time to figure things out, and he should be given as much of that time as he needs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
  #110  
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Corey Zangari 2 more HRs today.

Now has 9 in 17 games so far.

Only 21 years old. Look or him to get a call soon to Kannapolis.
He has a lot of HR, but not much else. He had his first try at Kanny in 2016 and struggled mightily. He might have been too young then. This will be a big step.
  #111  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,588
Default

Aside Hansen and Zangari, here are some other highlights from last night:
- Another good start by Adams at AAA
- Basabe and Collins each 1 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Basabe's hit was a HR. He seems to be getting back on track after a slow start after his promotion to AA.
- Laz Rivera 2 for 3
- Luis Gonzalez 1 for 2 with a triple

In the Arizona League:
- Steele Walker 2 for 2. I'd imagine he's heading for Great Falls or Kanny soon.
- New signee Bryce Bush 2 for 4 with a HR
- 3rd round pick Konnor Pilkington made his professional debut. He gave up 3 ER and 5 H in 1.0 IP.
- Ryan Cordell went 1 for 3 in a rehab game
  #112  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,490
Default

Quote:
That is insanity.

Robert doesn’t even need to be added to the 40-man for another two years. He then would have another three option years after that. He has plenty of time to figure things out, and he should be given as much of that time as he needs.

Insanity is putting it mildly. I think some of you are in some sort of mad rush to get every single prospect through the minors in 2 years or less. It doesn't work that way (at least most of the time). Injuries are part of the game, if you look at top 100 prospect lists, tons of those guys have lost significant time to injuries or are even lost for the season.


Prospect injuries are not a White Sox thing, they are a baseball thing. Be realistic.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #113  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Insanity is putting it mildly. I think some of you are in some sort of mad rush to get every single prospect through the minors in 2 years or less. It doesn't work that way (at least most of the time). Injuries are part of the game, if you look at top 100 prospect lists, tons of those guys have lost significant time to injuries or are even lost for the season.


Prospect injuries are not a White Sox thing, they are a baseball thing. Be realistic.
Exactly. AJ Puk and Brent Honeywell are big pitching prospects off the top of my head who went down to injury this year. There are many others.
  #114  
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM
mzh mzh is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Aside Hansen and Zangari, here are some other highlights from last night:
- Another good start by Adams at AAA
- Basabe and Collins each 1 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Basabe's hit was a HR. He seems to be getting back on track after a slow start after his promotion to AA.
- Laz Rivera 2 for 3
- Luis Gonzalez 1 for 2 with a triple

In the Arizona League:
- Steele Walker 2 for 2. I'd imagine he's heading for Great Falls or Kanny soon.
- New signee Bryce Bush 2 for 4 with a HR
- 3rd round pick Konnor Pilkington made his professional debut. He gave up 3 ER and 5 H in 1.0 IP.
- Ryan Cordell went 1 for 3 in a rehab game
Like that Adams is doing well, but his inability to miss bats is really concerning. Reminds me a little bit of Chris Beck. His stuff has always been a better than Beck's though so I wonder how much upside Adams has as a reliever. Not to say he won't improve, but if I had to guess, I'd imagine the list of successful big league starters who averaged ~6 K/9 above High-A is pretty small.
  #115  
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Like that Adams is doing well, but his inability to miss bats is really concerning. Reminds me a little bit of Chris Beck. His stuff has always been a better than Beck's though so I wonder how much upside Adams has as a reliever. Not to say he won't improve, but if I had to guess, I'd imagine the list of successful big league starters who averaged ~6 K/9 above High-A is pretty small.
He's a sinker baller if I remember correctly, who relies on groundballs to get outs. Ks aren't really his thing. Still some cause for concern (would be less if he were, say, a LHP), but not the end of the world.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #116  
Old 07-19-2018, 11:18 AM
mzh mzh is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
He's a sinker baller if I remember correctly, who relies on groundballs to get outs. Ks aren't really his thing. Still some cause for concern (would be less if he were, say, a LHP), but not the end of the world.
Yeah, not the end of the world, the margin of error is just so much more thin for that type of pitcher. Honestly, given the pitching depth in the organization (and the fact that you can always throw money at good pitching) I wouldn't be against giving him a shot at being a hard-throwing groundballing reliever in the big leagues sooner rather than later. I think there's plenty enough back-end rotation material in the system to give it a shot. Then again, I don't know much of anything. Just an idea.
  #117  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
He has a lot of HR, but not much else. He had his first try at Kanny in 2016 and struggled mightily. He might have been too young then. This will be a big step.
He had TJ which kept him out all of 2017.

He's only 21.
  #118  
Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Corey Zangari 2 more HRs today.

Now has 9 in 17 games so far.

Only 21 years old. Look or him to get a call soon to Kannapolis.
He's been name Pioneer League Player of the Week.
http://www.kulr8.com/story/38669977/...er-of-the-week

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
He had TJ which kept him out all of 2017.

He's only 21.
The milb article about him that I posted a few days ago also says that he lost 40 pounds during his rehab.
  #119  
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,869
Default

https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/7/...rd-dylan-cease
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
  #120  
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,993
Default

Queue up Lip:

Jimmy Lambert leaves the game in AA with the trainer.
2 IP; 2Ks; 0 BB; 0 H.

This guy was blowing up as a super sleeper after dumping the sinker and slider for the 4 seam and Curveball.

This sucks.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.