White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Last edited by JermaineDye05; 10-03-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I wouldn't say his value is THAT low. It isn't top prospect level it was, but he is 25, coming off an 800+ OPS year, gets on base, good power. He isn't a bad platoon bat vs RHP, but he isn't the Stud they thought he was, atleast not yet. He is a guy who might truly be more valuable to them than anyone else in the league.
It’s the classic disconnect between value and actual quality. Schwarber has had the prospect hype, the big market spotlight, and a few big, clutch hits, and he’s not a bad player necessarily. But no NL team is going to trade for him, and why would an AL team give up anything in a trade for a DH type to hit .230 with 25-30 HR and not hit lefties when you can sign Logan Morrison or Yonder Alonso for pretty cheap to do the same thing?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI Personality

Per mlb.com, Addison Russell will start next season by serving an unpaid 40-game suspension. There will be no appeal.

“It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Per mlb.com, Addison Russell will start next season by serving an unpaid 40-game suspension. There will be no appeal.

Well he's on the north side for that quarter of the season.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-03-2018, 07:57 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Don't know about you; but, I feel like a REALLY REALLY big load has been lifted! I'm SOOOOO glad we don't have to hear about Cubdom until next year!

I can go to my Blackhawks games and not have to hear tons of fans oogling over the Cubs game in the tunnels. I can watch some of this postseason baseball without really caring about the results (except, I really don't want Boston to win anything).

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 13 NHL cities (Next: Carolina 10/26)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
WSI High Priest

"You're not going to hear me make excuses -- and this is not an excuse -- but we have had a lot of things go awry this year and in spite of that, have still tied for the most wins in the National League in a 162-game season," Maddon said.

Joe, that sounds like an excuse to me.

Read more about working relationships, yes men need not apply, the grit factor and my all time favorite reference to the heartbeat of the ball club at the link below.

https://www.mlb.com/news/joe-maddon-...19/c-296965272

Last edited by Grzegorz; 10-03-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Although I NEVER, EVER want the Sox to lose to the Cubs, it looks like that crosstown series from a week ago played out just right in the end - forcing the Cubs into a Game 163 which then forced them into the Wild Card game on back-to-back nights.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Although I NEVER, EVER want the Sox to lose to the Cubs, it looks like that crosstown series from a week ago played out just right in the end - forcing the Cubs into a Game 163 which then forced them into the Wild Card game on back-to-back nights.

Someone should call Les Grobstein tonight and tell him this-then kick back and listen to the entertainment that is sure to follow.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 AM
WSI Prelate

I haven't paid any attention to the Cubs this year, although I heard a couple of weeks ago, maybe earlier in September, they had a 4.5-game lead or something. Maybe it was 5 up on the lost side. Looking at the end of the season now, it appears quite the collapse.

To be sure, it wasn't 1969 -- 8.5 games up with six weeks to go only to fall to finish 8 back. I've never seen a team so high fall so low in just a few weeks. The collapses in 1984 an 2003 were hard, but more compressed. You really would have had to have been seen 1969 to believe it.

The postseason today is so watered down. The idea that a one-game divisional playoff merely puts the loser in a sort of loser's bracket minimizes the failure of letting a season lead disappear. This year's Cubs were similar to the A's a few years ago when they had the league's best record before they traded for Lester, Samardzja and Dunn and fell to the wild card where they would lose the play-in game.

I was surrounded by Cubs fans in Alaska in 2005, and I heard excessive of joy over that historic White Sox collapse. But the Sox stepped up and didn't let the lead go, even sweepung the Indians at the end before going 11-1 in the postseason run that only White Sox fans seem to remember.

This Cubs team collapsed. Make no doubt about it. They didn't just fail to catch a couple of breaks. They went out and got veterans to help, filling holes in the rotation and the infield, and they still couldn't make it happen. In their last inning, they couldn't even put a ball in play.

It couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The postseason today is so watered down.
A 97 win team was just eliminated by a 100 win team in the American League wild card game, but the playoffs are watered down?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I was surrounded by Cubs fans in Alaska in 2005, and I heard excessive of joy over that historic White Sox collapse. But the Sox stepped up and didn't let the lead go, even sweepung the Indians at the end before going 11-1 in the postseason run that only White Sox fans seem to remember.
You think you had it bad in Alaska? Try being in Chicago. The media here was absolutely giddy in anticipation of the historic collapse of the 2005 White Sox. Eric Zorn openly and proudly taunted Sox fans with his "tragic number" in his columns almost daily. And there was the Sun-Times comparing them to the 1969 Cubs. And its lead colum...yeah. David Kaplan was his usual self and let's not get into Chili McGrath's Tribune sports section. There are plenty of threads in the archive that will tell the whole story.

When it all ended with the Sox on top, we still had to put up with the fools in the media who refused to give them an ounce of credit.

Fast forward to 2016 and all Sox fans who rooted against the Cubs were bitter, obsessed jerks with an inferiority complex. Cubbie fans who cheered for the historic collapse of the 2005 White Sox suddenly got their panties in a twist when Sox fans rooted against the Cubs.

Last edited by TommyJohn; 10-04-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
A 97 win team was just eliminated by a 100 win team in the American League wild card game, but the playoffs are watered down?
Yeah, this isn’t exactly the year to say the playoffs are “watered down.”

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-04-2018, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
That's hilarious!

Quote:
This Cubs team collapsed. Make no doubt about it. They didn't just fail to catch a couple of breaks. They went out and got veterans to help, filling holes in the rotation and the infield, and they still couldn't make it happen. In their last inning, they couldn't even put a ball in play.

It couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.
Indeed.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post

Five teams in the American League lost at least 95 games, and they played really bad baseball in doing so. The A's didn't win 97 games because they played great baseball.

Inflated wins were out there this year for teams that didn't tank.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Eric Zorn openly and proudly taunted Sox fans with his "tragic number" in his columns almost daily.

Yes!! Finally someone who remembers. He was rooting for Cleveland to overtake the Sox in the AL Central. I complain about Zorn to the Cub fans here at the office and they look at me like I'm an old man shouting at the clouds.