GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2020, 10:50 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Itís nice to have numerous good hitters that we can have these kinds of discussions about how to optimize the lineup. I donít have any arguments against your suggestions, other than TA will have to learn to lay off sliders and be a little more selective generally if he really wants to maximize his production at the top of the order.

I agree that Abreu has declined against RHP even though he still destroys LHP. You mentioned earlier the desire to sit him against some RHP, but Iím not sure how we accomplish that unless Collins is on the 26-man roster. But if we keep Collins in the roster, that means thereís room for just two among Leury, Engel, and Mendick, and that means either Leury or Engel is the platoon partner for Mazara against LHP. Even with those limitations, I think itís worth it to have Collins on the roster.
You raise a point. But don't we have to keep Collins to spell Abreu? Obviously, they should never have given Abreu a 3 year deal but that "Reindorf move" is done. What worries me is Collins needs playing time to develop. He can't sit on the bench. Also, your point on which two of Garcia/Engel/Mendick becomes a decision since you need to spell OF and IF throughout the year. Does that mean Mendick and Engel are the best choices? I'm not sure.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Time will tell if it's a downward trend or if last year was an off year and he still wasn't horrible posting a .472 SLG against RHP. One more hit a month and he'd have cracked .800 OPS against RHP. I just don't see this as the crisis you do.
Why take the chance? 33-year-olds need days off anyway.

This 3-batter minimum basically dictates a need for 10 or even 11 starting-quality hitters to fill the 9 lineup spots. Now that there is a 26th player and a limit of 13 pitchers, always having that big-time pinch-hitting option on the bench will be a tremendous asset to the teams with adequate position player depth.
Guys like Abreu and EE should get about 25 days off anyway, and Grandal should get about 40 days off.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Why take the chance? 33-year-olds need days off anyway.

This 3-batter minimum basically dictates a need for 10 or even 11 starting-quality hitters to fill the 9 lineup spots. Now that there is a 26th player and a limit of 13 pitchers, always having that big-time pinch-hitting option on the bench will be a tremendous asset to the teams with adequate position player depth.
Guys like Abreu and EE should get about 25 days off anyway, and Grandal should get about 40 days off.
I expect they will Rest Abreu and Grandal at DH as needed or just give them a day off since the team has good coverage in general. Maybe they are planning on using Collins there to spell him after a month or two in AAA to really get going and practice the position more. They also have Mercedes working there and Sheets should start the season in AAA and might be available mid-season or sooner.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You raise a point. But don't we have to keep Collins to spell Abreu? Obviously, they should never have given Abreu a 3 year deal but that "Reindorf move" is done. What worries me is Collins needs playing time to develop. He can't sit on the bench. Also, your point on which two of Garcia/Engel/Mendick becomes a decision since you need to spell OF and IF throughout the year. Does that mean Mendick and Engel are the best choices? I'm not sure.
I would love for Collins to have a role on this team out of camp. Someone suggested bringing him up to start the season because of Charlotte's late opener. More good experience at the very least and another chance to see how he fits off the bench and sprinkled in at C, 1B and DH.

All depends on his camp and how he looks behind Yaz and McCannon. Would certainly suck to see him mash in ST and get sent down because of a lack of ABs to be given, but it says something about depth.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I expect they will Rest Abreu and Grandal at DH as needed or just give them a day off since the team has good coverage in general. Maybe they are planning on using Collins there to spell him after a month or two in AAA to really get going and practice the position more. They also have Mercedes working there and Sheets should start the season in AAA and might be available mid-season or sooner.
I donít know about Sheets. He was dreadful in Arizona. Same with Rutherford. Those guys need full seasons in Charlotte, and probably most/all of 2021 as well.

If Sheets makes it to the majors, it would be a big boost for a team that has been desperately searching for LH power ever since this rebuild began.

Delmonico, Palka, Skole, Alonso, Reed, all of them flamed out. Even if Sheets peaks as a backup 1B/DH/LH pinch-hitter and Collins peaks as a backup C/1B/DH/LH pinch-hitter, those would be positive signs that this team has turned a corner on acquiring legitimate major leaguers via the draft.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I donít know about Sheets. He was dreadful in Arizona. Same with Rutherford. Those guys need full seasons in Charlotte, and probably most/all of 2021 as well.

If Sheets makes it to the majors, it would be a big boost for a team that has been desperately searching for LH power ever since this rebuild began.

Delmonico, Palka, Skole, Alonso, Reed, all of them flamed out. Even if Sheets peaks as a backup 1B/DH/LH pinch-hitter and Collins peaks as a backup C/1B/DH/LH pinch-hitter, those would be positive signs that this team has turned a corner on acquiring legitimate major leaguers via the draft.
Sheets was only dreadful to start in the AFL. He closed out strong.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Sheets was only dreadful to start in the AFL. He closed out strong.
Fun fact: My daughter was Gavin Sheets's economics tutor in college.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247