White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
That was majestic.
Anytime you bounce one off a building it's a good thing...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM
WSI Guru

The White Sox have apparently signed another Tatis:

http://espndeportes.espn.com/beisbol...nando-tatis-jr

So...

When does Rick trade him for an over-the-hill starting pitcher? I mean the joke basically writes itself!

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 PM
WSI Personality

If I'm reading the box score right, Ryan Cordell hit for the cycle today. He's currently OPSing 2 at AAA. As in, 2.000. Obviously he's only had a few at bats down there, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that. If Palka doesn't snap out of this slump, that's an easy switch.

Tilson also had a nice game (3/5 including a double), and he's currently hitting .435 with a 1.152 OPS. Maybe these two are finally figuring something out?
Old 04-11-2019, 06:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
If I'm reading the box score right, Ryan Cordell hit for the cycle today. He's currently OPSing 2 at AAA. As in, 2.000. Obviously he's only had a few at bats down there, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that. If Palka doesn't snap out of this slump, that's an easy switch.

Tilson also had a nice game (3/5 including a double), and he's currently hitting .435 with a 1.152 OPS. Maybe these two are finally figuring something out?
I don’t think Cordell or Tilson are long term answers to any question other than, “Who might be an acceptable fourth outfielder?” However, both at one time were at least somewhat noteworthy prospects. I think we also know what Engel and Palka are. I’d be in favor of demoting Engel and Palka and replacing them with Tilson and Cordell, but since Tilson isn’t on the 40-man roster, someone else would have to be removed.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Yep, he became the first Charlotte player to hit for the cycle since 1998. Regardless of whether he's a legit prospect or not, congratulations to Ryan!
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/ryan-...98/c-306145120
Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 AM
WSI Prelate

In other prospect news last night, Seby went 1 for 4 with a 2-run HR and a walk. Hamilton pitched 1 scoreless inning with 2 Ks as he works his way back from an injury sustained in a car accident.

The big Birmingham bats remain ice cold, though Sheets and Rutherford did get 1 hit each. Gonzalez, Adolfo, Sheets, and Rutherford are all hitting below the Mendoza line to start the season but it's still a small sample size and they're all adjusting to the move up to AA.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don’t think Cordell or Tilson are long term answers to any question other than, “Who might be an acceptable fourth outfielder?” However, both at one time were at least somewhat noteworthy prospects. I think we also know what Engel and Palka are. I’d be in favor of demoting Engel and Palka and replacing them with Tilson and Cordell, but since Tilson isn’t on the 40-man roster, someone else would have to be removed.
I think Engel and Palka have had more than ample "auditions" to be role players on the "when we're good again" White Sox- I see no risk at all in giving Tilson and/or Cordell a shot while we anxiously await the arrival of legitimate major league outfielders.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Tonight's games will see Guerrero starting for Charlotte and Lambert starting for Birmingham. 29th round pick Taylor Varnell gets the start for Kannapolis.

Madrigal has been out of the lineup for a couple of games with the flu, so we'll see if he's back for W-S tonight.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Robert had a stand-up triple and a 2-run homer tonight. Madrigal with a knock.

Fulmer threw another nice outing.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Robert had a stand-up triple and a 2-run homer tonight. Madrigal with a knock.

Fulmer threw another nice outing.
How soon until Robert is the #1 prospect in baseball at this rate?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If he can keep up this blistering pace I assume he'd pass Vlad Jr. but as you have said in other threads you can't make judgments based on a week or 10 days. Let's see what happens when he gets moved up.

Eventually I see him in CF at GRF but not for a few more years.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If he can keep up this blistering pace I assume he'd pass Vlad Jr. but as you have said in other threads you can't make judgments based on a week or 10 days. Let's see what happens when he gets moved up.

Eventually I see him in CF at GRF but not for a few more years.
A few more years? Is that normal for a prospect of this stature?
Old 04-12-2019, 12:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
A few more years? Is that normal for a prospect of this stature?
For sure. Say he stays hot and moves up another level this year. Next year he is looking at AA and AAA (and thats assuming no set backs). Maybe a cup of coffee next year but realistically the year after.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
For sure. Say he stays hot and moves up another level this year. Next year he is looking at AA and AAA (and thats assuming no set backs). Maybe a cup of coffee next year but realistically the year after.
Unless he really is the next Mike Trout and just starts dominating but with more speed...
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
His swing looks good. Really, really good. Plus the dude is so fast on the basepaths.
Closed Thread