White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Winner 2019 PTC Contest

Robert has a higher ceiling than Moncada which is saying something because Moncada has top 10 player in the MLB ceiling.

The question is, does either reach it?

If Eloy, Robert, Moncada, and Anderson become the players we hope- oooooooooooooooooooo boy.

But again, IF.

If is a fickle thing.

Also, Robert will be a top 5 prospect soon.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Robert had a stand-up triple and a 2-run homer tonight. Madrigal with a knock.

Fulmer threw another nice outing.
Robert 3 for 5 and Madrigal 2 for 5 on the night for W-S.

Lambert had a good start for the Barons: 6.0 IP, 1 R, 8 K. However, the Birmingham big bats continue to be ice cold. The top prospects combined to go 1 for 14 last night (1 hit for Gonzalez and 2 BB for Adolfo). Booker had a good night, though, going 2 for 4.

EDIT: oh, and Steele Walker went 2-4 with a double and a triple last night for Kanny.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
His swing looks good. Really, really good. Plus the dude is so fast on the basepaths.
That speed may decline a little bit. He is only 21 years old. He was listed at 174 lbs. when he signed and is listed at 210 lbs. this year. He may not be done physically maturing yet.

All the more reason to just leave him alone, let him succeed, and focus more of the spotlight on the guys who will be here sooner than him, like Zack Collins and Dylan Cease.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
How soon until Robert is the #1 prospect in baseball at this rate?
I am confident he'll be successful- but how he does at AA will be the first real test- so many of our guys who look good at Kanny and WS hit the wall when they get to AA (i.e. it's very early, but all the guys who are new to AA are really struggling right now).
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 AM
WSI Prelate

As frustrating as the Big League club is, and most of the prospects struggling when they get to Chicago, you have to wonder how in the hell is it possible for this rebuild to fail?

And I know the possibility is there.

But with Moncada, Eloy, and now Robert you would have had a top 5 prospect (assuming Robert eventually gets to that classification mid-season) in all of baseball for the past 3 seasons. And Kopech was / is borderline top 10-15 with Cease heading there?

You could be looking at 5 superstars right there.

But what hasn't changed, drafting and development. Drafting especially.

Fulmer
Adams
Collins
Burdi
Hansen
Burger
Sheets

That's 3 years worth of top 2 picks. Maybe only Collins there has a chance to be key core piece to add to the list of 5 above?

Supplement bad drafting and development and terrible failures so far in Free Agency (even for fill-in pieces, not talking about Machado), the Sox need to figure this **** out quick and get this right. I don't ever want to see another Sale/Abreu/Quintana/Eaton core going to waste.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 PM
WSI Guru

Robert story for those with Insider.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/stor...rt-monster-man
Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
As frustrating as the Big League club is, and most of the prospects struggling when they get to Chicago, you have to wonder how in the hell is it possible for this rebuild to fail?

But with Moncada, Eloy, and now Robert you would have had a top 5 prospect (assuming Robert eventually gets to that classification mid-season) in all of baseball for the past 3 seasons. And Kopech was / is borderline top 10-15 with Cease heading there?

Fulmer
Adams
Collins
Burdi
Hansen
Burger
Sheets

That's 3 years worth of top 2 picks. Maybe only Collins there has a chance to be key core piece to add to the list of 5 above?

Supplement bad drafting and development and terrible failures so far in Free Agency (even for fill-in pieces, not talking about Machado), the Sox need to figure this **** out quick and get this right. I don't ever want to see another Sale/Abreu/Quintana/Eaton core going to waste.
I would argue that all of those picks still have the potential to be contributors at the MLB level. Probably not superstar-level (unless Hansen regains his form from a couple years ago), but contributors. Not saying they all will make it, but I'd be surprised if none of them do. I don't have much of a problem with the drafting the past couple years, but only time will tell...
Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That speed may decline a little bit. He is only 21 years old. He was listed at 174 lbs. when he signed and is listed at 210 lbs. this year. He may not be done physically maturing yet.

All the more reason to just leave him alone, let him succeed, and focus more of the spotlight on the guys who will be here sooner than him, like Zack Collins and Dylan Cease.
Robert is putting the spotlight on himself with his performance. I agree it doesn't hurt to let him experience some success, especially after all his injuries the past couple years, but if he keeps hitting at his current pace the spotlight is going to only get brighter.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan
Robert is putting the spotlight on himself with his performance. I agree it doesn't hurt to let him experience some success, especially after all his injuries the past couple years, but if he keeps hitting at his current pace the spotlight is going to only get brighter.
“Spotlight” was a bad choice. I should have said “scrutiny.”
Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Fulmer
Adams
Collins
Burdi
Hansen
Burger
Sheets

Adams looks like he's not going to make it.

Not sure you can declare Burdi and Burger as bad picks with their injuries.

Fulmer may be saving his career as a bullpen arm- no idea about Hansen.

I'm personally bullish on Sheets- but this is very big season for him.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Fulmer
Adams
Collins
Burdi
Hansen
Burger
Sheets

While I would agree that Fulmer and Adams are most likely not going to be core players, it is much too early to make any assessment of the other 5. Not to mention, Hansen and Sheets were second round picks both taken (coincidentally) at #49 which is not exactly a place where you find all star caliber players. It's basically 50/50 to make the majors.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-13-2019, 12:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
A few more years? Is that normal for a prospect of this stature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
For sure. Say he stays hot and moves up another level this year. Next year he is looking at AA and AAA (and thats assuming no set backs). Maybe a cup of coffee next year but realistically the year after.

No, that's not the way teams are doing it anymore. Guys of Robert's stature are in the majors by their before their 22nd birthday and often before their 21st.

Of recent vintage:
Carlos Correa: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.
Byron Buxton: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 21.
Yoan Moncada: 1 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 21.
Trea Turner: 1 season in the minors, in the majors at 22.
Andrew Benintendi: 1 1/2 seasons in the minors, in the majors at 21.
Victor Robles: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.
Juan Soto: 1 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 19.
Ronald Acuna: 2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.

The list goes on even further, but you get the point. You don't hold back talented players in the minors for 3 seasons searching for some magical number at bats. You get them up the the majors, contributing.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Unless he really is the next Mike Trout and just starts dominating but with more speed...

Or the next Acuna, or next Soto, the list goes on.....
Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Fulmer
Adams
Collins
Burdi
Hansen
Burger
Sheets

Some of those picks were ridiculous when made.
It's all college in the high rounds...often non premium positions such as relief pitching and un-athletic 1b/DH types. Too much "need", when it should be 100% BPA in a rebuild. Why target relief pitching in the draft at all? That occurs naturally via failed starters. little nuance or creativity

Last edited by Tragg; 04-13-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 AM
WSI Regular

Prospects are always a gamble. I always think back to football and specially, Tom Brady who was the 199th pick. My point is you just don't know. But with that said, I believe we have some real talent in our farm systems. Yes, Roberts, Cease, Madrigal, Collins give much hope. Chris Getz said Alec Hansen is healthy and hopefully he'll regain his form. I wonder if Steele Walker is a "hidden treasure". When the Sox drafted him in the 3rd round, I read some non-Sox scouts felt he should have been drafted in the 2nd round.
I'm being optimistic and believe we'll have a very good team in the future. My only fears are a players strike at the next CBA right when the Sox should be contending and/or the Sox (really Kenny) doing something crazy by trading prospects for has-beens he has always wanted.
Closed Thread