White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM
WSI Guru

Dunning talks to Merkin about his injury:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/da...y-john-surgery

I found it interesting where he said that even after rest and rehab when he starting throwing again in October the pain / soreness was still there...not as bad, but still present.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:12 PM
WSI Prelate

On a side note, I am presuming that the Sox have a number of good international prospects lined up (or are feverishly working on that)...they come off the penalty this year, right?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
On a side note, I am presuming that the Sox have a number of good international prospects lined up (or are feverishly working on that)...they come off the penalty this year, right?
I believe it's next year.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I believe it's next year.
It is my understanding the Sox emerge from the “penalty box” on July 2, 2019.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
It is my understanding the Sox emerge from the “penalty box” on July 2, 2019.
We might be saying the same thing--I'm not entirely sure how the dates line up. But I was under the impression that having signed Robert as a part of the July 1st 2017 signing period, their penalty was for two periods, so they won't actually be in the clear until July of 2020?

I could very well be misunderstanding or forgetting what exactly the rules are so please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: My memory was blurred--they signed him in May 2017, which was still the 2016 signing period. So yes, you're right, they're out of the box as of this year.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
We might be saying the same thing--I'm not entirely sure how the dates line up. But I was under the impression that having signed Robert as a part of the July 1st 2017 signing period, their penalty was for two periods, so they won't actually be in the clear until July of 2020?

I could very well be misunderstanding or forgetting what exactly the rules are so please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: My memory was blurred--they signed him in May 2017, which was still the 2016 signing period. So yes, you're right, they're out of the box as of this year.
The international signing periods are listed as two year periods. So Robert counted for the 2016-2017 period. Thus the Sox were not allowed to sign anyone for more than $300K for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 periods. They will be allowed to sign for any price in the 2019-2020 period, so this July they are back to normal.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-27-2019, 12:31 PM
WSI Guru

Source: The #WhiteSox are interested in Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez. Bonus amount would likely be in $2-$2.5 million range. 21 year old with plus arm, speed and defense. Sanchez would have to wait until 7/2 to sign.

— James Fox (@JamesFox917) March 26, 2019
Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Source: The #WhiteSox are interested in Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez. Bonus amount would likely be in $2-$2.5 million range. 21 year old with plus arm, speed and defense. Sanchez would have to wait until 7/2 to sign.

— James Fox (@JamesFox917) March 26, 2019
Yikes! Yolbert would fit in nicely with Yoan, Yonder and Yolmer.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 03-27-2019, 04:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
The international signing periods are listed as two year periods. So Robert counted for the 2016-2017 period. Thus the Sox were not allowed to sign anyone for more than $300K for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 periods. They will be allowed to sign for any price in the 2019-2020 period, so this July they are back to normal.
So is July within the usual international signing period; or can they line up they players from the Dominican and South America and just have them sign in July?

On another subject, Kanny and WS should be interesting again; I think some of the Sox low-minors prospects are underappreciated. The Sox don't hype their prospects so rankings don't mean much when they are in the low minors except for the high draft pick guys. It's another reason why I don't like the Sox trading these guys; teams know who has real potential. Much prefer them trade Cordells and Tilsons.

Last edited by Tragg; 03-27-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg
Much prefer them trade Cordells and Tilsons.
OK, but that won't get you anyone in return except more players like Cordell and Tilson.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
OK, but that won't get you anyone in return except more players like Cordell and Tilson.
Players like Cordell and Tilson are good enough for a bad team to shuffle through, while it has playing time available. The hit rate is decent.

Rondon, Palka, Burr, Frare, Covey, and Banuelos were basically plucked off the scrap heap. Ruiz, Vieira, Minaya, Yrizarri, Forbes are some more in the minors.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Yikes! Yolbert would fit in nicely with Yoan, Yonder and Yolmer.
Too bad he's not good at hitting. In the Cuban league, even.

2014 PtC Score: 1

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 03-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
One team sure did. The players are the same now as they were then.

Scrapheap is different than trading for them. Their availability on the scrapheap is why you don’t have to trade for them.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
So is July within the usual international signing period; or can they line up they players from the Dominican and South America and just have them sign in July?
I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with players waiting until July to sign with a team of their choice.

Quote:
I think some of the Sox low-minors prospects are underappreciated. The Sox don't hype their prospects so rankings don't mean much when they are in the low minors except for the high draft pick guys. It's another reason why I don't like the Sox trading these guys
I would add that a team that is not going to push up against the luxury tax threshold cannot expect sustained success by consistently trading away farm talent.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I would add that a team that is not going to push up against the luxury tax threshold cannot expect sustained success by consistently trading away farm talent.
I think the entire concept of "sustained success" is fool's gold.

I think the best you can hope for is to maximize your chances when you are in the "boom" of a "boom-and-bust" cycle. That definitely includes trading prospects for major leaguers, but only after you have graduated enough homegrown players to field a competitive team.
Closed Thread