White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
No, that's not the way teams are doing it anymore. Guys of Robert's stature are in the majors by their before their 22nd birthday and often before their 21st.

Of recent vintage:
Carlos Correa: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.
Byron Buxton: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 21.
Yoan Moncada: 1 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 21.
Trea Turner: 1 season in the minors, in the majors at 22.
Andrew Benintendi: 1 1/2 seasons in the minors, in the majors at 21.
Victor Robles: 2 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.
Juan Soto: 1 1/2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 19.
Ronald Acuna: 2 minor league seasons, in the majors at 20.

The list goes on even further, but you get the point. You don't hold back talented players in the minors for 3 seasons searching for some magical number at bats. You get them up the the majors, contributing.

That seems much more likely (assuming, of course, Robert continues to dominate). The comment of not seeing him on the South Side for a ďfew more
yearsĒ jumped off the page.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
No, that's not the way teams are doing it anymore. Guys of Robert's stature are in the majors by their before their 22nd birthday and often before their 21st.

Of recent vintage:

The list goes on even further, but you get the point. You don't hold back talented players in the minors for 3 seasons searching for some magical number at bats. You get them up the the majors, contributing.

No, there isn't some magical number of ABs a player needs, but we don't even know how he matches up yet with AA pitchers and we are talking about rushing him to the majors. Every single player listed above had/has a better hit tool than Robert according to scouts. There's still a lot of swing and miss to Robert's game and his K/BB ratio reflects his lower hit tool (50). I really hope he gets a long look at AA, and has time to dominate a bit at AAA before getting the call up.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
No, there isn't some magical number of ABs a player needs, but we don't even know how he matches up yet with AA pitchers and we are talking about rushing him to the majors. Every single player listed above had/has a better hit tool than Robert according to scouts. There's still a lot of swing and miss to Robert's game and his K/BB ratio reflects his lower hit tool (50). I really hope he gets a long look at AA, and has time to dominate a bit at AAA before getting the call up.
I don't necessarily disagree with that statement, but the term "rushing" is overused and it has been shown that players progress at different rates. I was shocked when the Nationals promoted Juan Soto after just 35 at bats in AA at age 19, but look at the results. I would also add that those hit tool ratings you are referring to are a product of his lost 2018. The scouts at the AFL were singing a different tune altogether.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-13-2019, 04:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Some of those picks were ridiculous when made.
It's all college in the high rounds...
It's been shown to you over and over again how all of those players were rated by scouts right where the Sox targeted them at. Your comment about "college players" is also baseless. What were those Yankees thinking drafting that Judge guy anyway? I guess the Cubs didn't get that memo when drafting Bryant, or the Astros when drafting Bregman, etc, etc.....
Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Of recent vintage:

But Robert is a little different - he has to show he can stay healthy. The Sox also arenít widely aggressive with offensive prospects.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM
WSI Personality

Robert and Madrigal went a combined 7-8 at the top of the lineup for the Dash tonight. Nice to see Madrigal coming on after a slow start.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:23 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Robert and Madrigal went a combined 7-8 at the top of the lineup for the Dash tonight. Nice to see Madrigal coming on after a slow start.
They both had a double and Robert tacked on a triple and is currently OPSing 1.5+.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
But Robert is a little different - he has to show he can stay healthy. The Sox also arenít widely aggressive with offensive prospects.
I agree with the health being a major part of it. I guess we'll see, hopefully he can push his way up to AA within the next month or so. Acuna was moved to AA after 28 A+ games and Jo Adell was pushed up after 57 A+ games. I can't see why Robert would have to spend more than a month and a half in A+ even if his hitting cools off a bit. His current slash stands at .475/.512/1.025 which is just ridiculous....
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
I agree with the health being a major part of it. I guess we'll see, hopefully he can push his way up to AA within the next month or so. Acuna was moved to AA after 28 A+ games and Jo Adell was pushed up after 57 A+ games. I can't see why Robert would have to spend more than a month and a half in A+ even if his hitting cools off a bit. His current slash stands at .475/.512/1.025 which is just ridiculous....
It's an even more obvious move with the AA outfielders getting off to slow starts. Robert and Rutherford are the same age; swap them.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
It's an even more obvious move with the AA outfielders getting off to slow starts. Robert and Rutherford are the same age; swap them.
I think it makes more sense to move Booker from AA to AAA (as Booker is a bit old for AA anyway) in order to make room for Robert, rather than demoting Rutherford.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-14-2019, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
i think it makes more sense to move booker from aa to aaa (as booker is a bit old for aa anyway) in order to make room for robert, rather than demoting rutherford.
+1
Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I think it makes more sense to move Booker from AA to AAA (as Booker is a bit old for AA anyway) in order to make room for Robert, rather than demoting Rutherford.
Or do both. There's only so much playing time in AA and Basabe will be back soon. If Rutherford hasn't started to figure things out by the end of the month, then sending him down will be a lot better for his development than having him sit on the bench in Birmingham.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Or do both. There's only so much playing time in AA and Basabe will be back soon. If Rutherford hasn't started to figure things out by the end of the month, then sending him down will be a lot better for his development than having him sit on the bench in Birmingham.
Prospects donít sit at AA just because they are struggling, or there is a better player on the roster. The whole point of the league is player development, not wins and losses. Besides, right now thereís actually no issue with playing time at Birmingham. I think they only have 3 full-time OFs right now on the roster: Booker, Gonzalez, and Rutherford. They could probably promote Robert now, and then one of the 4 would sit or DH (with Adolpho sitting) on any given night. Thatís not the worst thing in the world - everyone starts in about 80% of the games.

The log jam is going to hit in about a month when Adolpho is cleared to play the OF and Basabe is back. Hopefully by then someone will merit a callup to AAA, though right now thatís not looking very likely.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with that statement, but the term "rushing" is overused and it has been shown that players progress at different rates. I was shocked when the Nationals promoted Juan Soto after just 35 at bats in AA at age 19, but look at the results. I would also add that those hit tool ratings you are referring to are a product of his lost 2018. The scouts at the AFL were singing a different tune altogether.
He was given a 50 hit tool before the 2018 season. I don't like the Soto comparison because Robert isn't in that same class. Soto looks like a future HoFer the way he looks at such a young age, or any age really.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM
WSI Personality

Dylan Cease doesn't give up runs.
Closed Thread