Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 08:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Upside? He's 29.

He's been really good, but hasn't been as good since injury. The implication is the upside is him being finally healthy and ready to fully return to form.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He's been really good, but hasn't been as good since injury. The implication is the upside is him being finally healthy and ready to fully return to form.
Coop will fix him?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Upside? He's 29.
And can still hit triple digits and not be a walk machine. He is an Arrieta type buy.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
He is an Arrieta type buy.
He'll be the fourth most popular starter on the market. Was anyone but the Cubs trying to get Arrieta?

Upside is fine, but the Sox need the deluxe model this year.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...be-posted.html

Tsutsugo would be an interesting acquisition to fill our corner outfield void. At 27, he's in his prime. And he's a lefty.
Want to fill the corner OF spot with a “meh” player in the short term and an absolute stud in the longer term? Want to accomplish that in the same transaction?

Tell the Padres that you will take Wil Myers’s entire salary if they send over Taylor Trammell and Joey Cantillo with him. Then tell Myers that you will pick up his club option if he agrees to restructure with some deferrals.

Instead of 3@$22.5 and a $1 buyout, propose 1@$25.5, 3@14, and 6 deferrals @$3.333

The total deferred on those 3 years is $14, which would in turn guarantee him another $19 total. He sees that $14 the next season. Basically, he’s going from 3/$67.5 and the $1 buyout to 4/$67.5 and $20 total the following 6 years. The deferrals are equal to the option amount.

If he does well in 2020, that 3/$42, 6/$20 remaining contract may even be movable if we pay down something like $4 per year on those $14 years and half the annual money on the deferrals.

It may be a lower cost option with a much better ROI in the long run if Trammell goes out there with Robert and Eloy to form a ridiculously talented outfield for a long time. Assuming we can’t flip Myers after 2020, we’re paying a grand total of $87.5 for 4 years of Myers, 7 years of control on Trammell, and 7 years of control on Cantillo. Assuming Myers won’t agree to a restructured deal, we’re paying $68.5 for the same return, only with a year reduced on Myers.

If you end up keeping Myers and average 2 WAR per season out of him over the life of the deal, the overpay would be about $9.5 million in year 1, and years 2-4 would be a $2 million underpay per season. I’ll gladly overpay Myers in 2020 if it gets me some farm love from San Diego’s gold mine.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd be all for that, but I don't think the Padres are trying that desperately to shed payroll. It sounds like they plan on spending. They're even making a hard push for Joe Maddon.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'd be all for that, but I don't think the Padres are trying that desperately to shed payroll. It sounds like they plan on spending. They're even making a hard push for Joe Maddon.
I'm preparing myself for the humiliation of the White Sox once again losing a bidding war to the Padres, this time for Strasburg.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I'm preparing myself for the humiliation of the White Sox once again losing a bidding war to the Padres, this time for Strasburg.
I bet the Padres are second-guessing spending so much on Machado with two* primo Southern California pitchers on the market. (Cole is from Newport Beach.)

* if Strasburg opts out
Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If they are at that point, shedding $22.5 million per year off their books for the next 3 years would be wonderful for them. Instead of paying a 2-WAR player like a 3-WAR player, they can get an actual 3-WAR player, or maybe even someone better than that.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I bet the Padres are second-guessing spending so much on Machado with two* primo Southern California pitchers on the market. (Cole is from Newport Beach.)

* if Strasburg opts out
Cole will likely sign the biggest offer. Angels are still my guess. Then Strasburg will opt out and anyone wanting him will have to pay a higher AAV than they normally would.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Want to fill the corner OF spot with a “meh” player in the short term and an absolute stud in the longer term? Want to accomplish that in the same transaction?

This is something the Sox could have done 3+ years ago, timing isn't right anymore. Taking on an albatross contract for the next 4 years isn't "short term". That would be having $14mil from '21-'23, the heart of their WS window tied up in likely dead weight. That money will be very much needed then to acquire players at the deadline to fill in holes during those years.

On top of it, Trammel is really not a sure thing to be an "absolute stud" either moving forward. He's coming off of a bad season, and really has only been "OK" thus far in the minors.

I would probably feel differently if the main young player back was a say, Alex Verdugo, who is far more of a lock to be a stud. Since the Dodgers are so lefty heavy, are trying to balance their lineup out, and loaded in the OF already, I'd like to see what his price is at this point. He's someone that would be worth trading a Vaughn or Madrigal for, if a more quantity over quality package isn't what the Dodgers would take. A 3 way trade would also be in the cards to bring in players that make more sense for LAD.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Cole will likely sign the biggest offer. Angels are still my guess. Then Strasburg will opt out and anyone wanting him will have to pay a higher AAV than they normally would.
If it comes down to a bidding war, what makes you think the Angels would be able to afford him? They've already got a whole bunch of money sunk into Pujols and Upton while getting very little in return. Not to mention nearly $40M going to Trout (though he's worth every penny).
Old 10-08-2019, 05:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
This is something the Sox could have done 3+ years ago, timing isn't right anymore. Taking on an albatross contract for the next 4 years isn't "short term". That would be having $14mil from '21-'23, the heart of their WS window tied up in likely dead weight. That money will be very much needed then to acquire players at the deadline to fill in holes during those years.

On top of it, Trammel is really not a sure thing to be an "absolute stud" either moving forward. He's coming off of a bad season, and really has only been "OK" thus far in the minors.

I would probably feel differently if the main young player back was a say, Alex Verdugo, who is far more of a lock to be a stud. Since the Dodgers are so lefty heavy, are trying to balance their lineup out, and loaded in the OF already, I'd like to see what his price is at this point. He's someone that would be worth trading a Vaughn or Madrigal for, if a more quantity over quality package isn't what the Dodgers would take. A 3 way trade would also be in the cards to bring in players that make more sense for LAD.
Yeah, Nick Madrigal is not getting you Alex Verdugo.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, Nick Madrigal is not getting you Alex Verdugo.
Of course not, i said package. More likely Vaughn would be the player to go in a package for a player of that caliber. Attached with Bummer and Dalquist/Thompson, and would likely have to bring a third team in to provide more MLB ready valuable pieces to send to LAD and take Vaughn and Dalquist/Thompson.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Information on contracts and payroll obligations:

Currently, we have roughly $24 million in guarantees next year (obviously this is without arbitration and free agents like Jose Abreu). https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-...early/payroll/

MLBTR just did their annual arbitration projection (which they've been pretty close on in previous years). https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ries-2020.html

They assume another $33 million from our arbitration eligible players. Which would put us at around $57 million in commitments. Meaning we'd need to spend another $30M+ in free agents just to reach last year's payroll.
Closed Thread