Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

Andy Masur would be an upgrade at PBP over Farmer. Benn out of baseball since being let go by the Padres but is doing freelance sports updates at WGN Radio.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Both Farmer and DJ are fine as color analysts. But neither of them are skilled at play-by-play, and in particular Farmer’s PBP brings down the quality of DJ’s work.
I agree with this. I think both Farmer and DJ are much better as analysts than PBP. I don't hate them as a tandem as much as some but they both are probably better suited to color commentary only. I think DJ has "let his hair down" a lot more and isn't afraid to call out something he sees on the diamond that he doesn't like. This was something he rarely did as a TV analyst. He has gotten much better over the years.

As far as the radio station, I think the team will be better off away from WLS. It's not as high profile as other AM stations in town and I feel the signal is nowhere near as strong as 670, 780, and 720.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 01-25-2018, 02:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
Andy Masur would be an upgrade at PBP over Farmer. Benn out of baseball since being let go by the Padres but is doing freelance sports updates at WGN Radio.

"Like"
Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
WSI Guru

Sully writes a good story on the Sox radio issue, gives a history lesson and says the team "deserves a better radio partner..."

It's a paywall if you've reached your monthly limit but if not, well worth reading:

"White Sox deserve a better radio partner"

Can't post the link but the above is the headline to look for the story.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I remember when the Sox were looking for a radio station, they took the highest bid which happened to be WLS. Looks like a penny wise dollar foolish blunder by ownership. If they dont get a major station it makes the Sox even less relevant in chicago.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I remember when the Sox were looking for a radio station, they took the highest bid which happened to be WLS. Looks like a penny wise dollar foolish blunder by ownership. If they dont get a major station it makes the Sox even less relevant in chicago.
Define 'major' station.

The overall poor performance of the organization led to its lack of relevance.

If the White Sox have to take a deal with a sub-optimum station it will be for a short time.

If the club wins it will become relevant.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Define 'major' station.

The overall poor performance of the organization led to its lack of relevance.

If the White Sox have to take a deal with a sub-optimum station it will be for a short time.

If the club wins it will become relevant.
720, 780, 1000 and even 560. Yes I agree the overall poor performance of the organization has led to its lack of relevance and this includes the radio deal.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
720, 780, 1000 and even 560. Yes I agree the overall poor performance of the organization has led to its lack of relevance and this includes the radio deal.
I don’t know if 780 is an option. There would be 7-9 games pre-empted by the Bears (4 preseason, 3-5 regular season). I have no idea how important that is to the parties involved, but it is something to consider.

Could the White Sox schedule any Sunday home games that conflict with Bears afternoon games as night games, or is that not allowed by the terms of MLB’s contract with ESPN?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I don’t know if 780 is an option. There would be 7-9 games pre-empted by the Bears (4 preseason, 3-5 regular season). I have no idea how important that is to the parties involved, but it is something to consider.

Could the White Sox schedule any Sunday home games that conflict with Bears afternoon games as night games, or is that not allowed by the terms of MLB’s contract with ESPN?
WBBM (780) also has an FM outlet which simulcasts the Bears games. I would imagine that they could broadcast the Sox games which conflict with Bears games on the FM outlet.

275-237.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

If I recall correctly, the Sox and Bears were both on WBBM-AM at the same time in the past - maybe late 70s or early 80s. Also, didn't WGN have both the Cubs and Bears at the same time for a number of years? I believe the baseball game was moved to an FM station when there was a conflict with the Bears.

This was before WBBM started simulcasting on 105.9 FM. So, these days it should be even easier just to move some baseball games to their sister station on FM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
If I recall correctly, the Sox and Bears were both on WBBM-AM at the same time in the past - maybe late 70s or early 80s.
You are correct as Joe McConnell twice did both a Sox and Bears game on the very same day for WBBM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You are correct as Joe McConnell twice did both a Sox and Bears game on the very same day for WBBM.
One of the finest radio announcers of our time.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sully writes a good story on the Sox radio issue, gives a history lesson and says the team "deserves a better radio partner..."

It's a paywall if you've reached your monthly limit but if not, well worth reading:

"White Sox deserve a better radio partner"

Can't post the link but the above is the headline to look for the story.
It was a good article and devoid of any snark. It's not often the local media goes to bat for Sox fans but I thought Sully did a nice job on this one. I totally agree with him. The team deserves to have a station that is a partner. WLS always felt like an odd fit. Here is the link if you haven't hit your limit:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...125-story.html
Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
One of the finest radio announcers of our time.
McConnell was SO great. I miss that voice.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
McConnell was SO great. I miss that voice.
You're not alone. Still, he lost all those gigs. We've had this discussion at WSI before.