White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:06 PM
MARTINMVP MARTINMVP is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago southwest suburbs
Posts: 845
Default

Andy Masur would be an upgrade at PBP over Farmer. Benn out of baseball since being let go by the Padres but is doing freelance sports updates at WGN Radio.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,140
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Both Farmer and DJ are fine as color analysts. But neither of them are skilled at play-by-play, and in particular Farmer’s PBP brings down the quality of DJ’s work.
I agree with this. I think both Farmer and DJ are much better as analysts than PBP. I don't hate them as a tandem as much as some but they both are probably better suited to color commentary only. I think DJ has "let his hair down" a lot more and isn't afraid to call out something he sees on the diamond that he doesn't like. This was something he rarely did as a TV analyst. He has gotten much better over the years.

As far as the radio station, I think the team will be better off away from WLS. It's not as high profile as other AM stations in town and I feel the signal is nowhere near as strong as 670, 780, and 720.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-25-2018, 02:09 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
Andy Masur would be an upgrade at PBP over Farmer. Benn out of baseball since being let go by the Padres but is doing freelance sports updates at WGN Radio.

"Like"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,761
Default

Sully writes a good story on the Sox radio issue, gives a history lesson and says the team "deserves a better radio partner..."

It's a paywall if you've reached your monthly limit but if not, well worth reading:

"White Sox deserve a better radio partner"

Can't post the link but the above is the headline to look for the story.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,642
Default

I remember when the Sox were looking for a radio station, they took the highest bid which happened to be WLS. Looks like a penny wise dollar foolish blunder by ownership. If they dont get a major station it makes the Sox even less relevant in chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I remember when the Sox were looking for a radio station, they took the highest bid which happened to be WLS. Looks like a penny wise dollar foolish blunder by ownership. If they dont get a major station it makes the Sox even less relevant in chicago.
Define 'major' station.

The overall poor performance of the organization led to its lack of relevance.

If the White Sox have to take a deal with a sub-optimum station it will be for a short time.

If the club wins it will become relevant.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Define 'major' station.

The overall poor performance of the organization led to its lack of relevance.

If the White Sox have to take a deal with a sub-optimum station it will be for a short time.

If the club wins it will become relevant.
720, 780, 1000 and even 560. Yes I agree the overall poor performance of the organization has led to its lack of relevance and this includes the radio deal.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
720, 780, 1000 and even 560. Yes I agree the overall poor performance of the organization has led to its lack of relevance and this includes the radio deal.
I don’t know if 780 is an option. There would be 7-9 games pre-empted by the Bears (4 preseason, 3-5 regular season). I have no idea how important that is to the parties involved, but it is something to consider.

Could the White Sox schedule any Sunday home games that conflict with Bears afternoon games as night games, or is that not allowed by the terms of MLB’s contract with ESPN?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I don’t know if 780 is an option. There would be 7-9 games pre-empted by the Bears (4 preseason, 3-5 regular season). I have no idea how important that is to the parties involved, but it is something to consider.

Could the White Sox schedule any Sunday home games that conflict with Bears afternoon games as night games, or is that not allowed by the terms of MLB’s contract with ESPN?
WBBM (780) also has an FM outlet which simulcasts the Bears games. I would imagine that they could broadcast the Sox games which conflict with Bears games on the FM outlet.
__________________
2018 Attendance Record: 3-3
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

275-237.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I don’t know if 780 is an option. There would be 7-9 games pre-empted by the Bears (4 preseason, 3-5 regular season). I have no idea how important that is to the parties involved, but it is something to consider.

Could the White Sox schedule any Sunday home games that conflict with Bears afternoon games as night games, or is that not allowed by the terms of MLB’s contract with ESPN?
If I recall correctly, the Sox and Bears were both on WBBM-AM at the same time in the past - maybe late 70s or early 80s. Also, didn't WGN have both the Cubs and Bears at the same time for a number of years? I believe the baseball game was moved to an FM station when there was a conflict with the Bears.

This was before WBBM started simulcasting on 105.9 FM. So, these days it should be even easier just to move some baseball games to their sister station on FM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
If I recall correctly, the Sox and Bears were both on WBBM-AM at the same time in the past - maybe late 70s or early 80s.
You are correct as Joe McConnell twice did both a Sox and Bears game on the very same day for WBBM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Maximo Maximo is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dowagiac,Michigan
Posts: 785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You are correct as Joe McConnell twice did both a Sox and Bears game on the very same day for WBBM.
One of the finest radio announcers of our time.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 10,140
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sully writes a good story on the Sox radio issue, gives a history lesson and says the team "deserves a better radio partner..."

It's a paywall if you've reached your monthly limit but if not, well worth reading:

"White Sox deserve a better radio partner"

Can't post the link but the above is the headline to look for the story.
It was a good article and devoid of any snark. It's not often the local media goes to bat for Sox fans but I thought Sully did a nice job on this one. I totally agree with him. The team deserves to have a station that is a partner. WLS always felt like an odd fit. Here is the link if you haven't hit your limit:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...125-story.html
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,585
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
One of the finest radio announcers of our time.
McConnell was SO great. I miss that voice.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
McConnell was SO great. I miss that voice.
You're not alone. Still, he lost all those gigs. We've had this discussion at WSI before.
__________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.