Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM
WSI Personality

Default Visiting Camelback Ranch

Just returned from a fantastic week of baseball in AZ. Caught eight games in five days with my son (four were WS). There's enough banter on here about who's going to be good or not - I'm just writing this if you have not visited before, and are interested in going.

Kinda spur of the moment, but got cheap tix out there via Frontier (use Google Flights). Seems like Mon-Fri is cheapest. Stayed at a great (and also cheap) Airbnb place in Buckeye - just 1/2 hour from the action. However, there are plenty of rooms to find even closer.

As for Camelback Ranch, it's a fantastic set-up. Most games start at 1:05, but they open the practice fields up at 9AM. You can wander in there free of charge. There are two fields open to the public for viewing, and another infield one as well. They start with fielding, then conclude with BP at about 10:30...and off the fields by 11:30.

My suggestion for snagging baseballs is going to the first field to the right when you enter, and staying near the back along the first base line. Lots of foul balls go that way...I collected five in one day. The other field has the outfield open for home runs - which draws a crowd.

The players enter under a walkway by home plate, and you can get an autograph quite easily - if they wish to give you one. Otherwise you are very close to them. The practice fields are divided between the Sox and Dodgers.

You can enter the stadium from centerfield, where the main gift shop is. Before the game you can also catch players coming in from the outfield (right field), and possibly get a picture and autograph. My son posed with several players, such as Yolmer & Kopech. All the Cubans didn't seem interested tho :(

The nice thing about AZ compared to FL is that all the teams are in the Phoenix area, and you can catch a ton of games in a short amount of time. Also helps that teams share parks. Where we were staying it was easy access to Camelback, Surprise (Rangers/Royals), Peoria (Padres, Mariners) and Goodyear (Indians/Reds).

There are games about everyday at 1 and 6 PM - and the reason why we were able to watch so many. There are lots of tickets to be had for day games (Sox games were lightly attended - maybe 3K out of 10K available), but night games tighten up. I would advice getting tix at the gate for day games, and Stubhub for the night games.

Overall it was an amazing experience that should be had by all Sox fans. The crowds are nothing like Soxfest, and you get up close and personal with about the entire team. I'll be making this an annual pilgrimage!

Chime in below if you've been there an can offer your tips as well - or if you have any questions.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:13 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks for the info! I've never gone but would love to someday and your advice is much appreciated! Glad you had fun!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Iíll be there tomorrow. Thank you for the tips!
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:13 AM
WSI High Priest

I was there last weekend and had a great time. One of the things I liked is that all the fans are wearing the shirts/jerseys of their favorite team. Breakfast at the Hampton Inn each morning was like going to an All-Star game. Just a fun, relaxed atmosphere (with free parking!).

272-235.