White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Totally understandable - the MLB product the White Sox are putting on the field right now is completely irrelevant. Would make more sense to send reporters to cover the A-ball teams where all the prospects are.

Fans, reporters, TV viewers, etc. will all come back if they build a good team.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Do the Cubs still have a Tribune beat writer? If they do, something stinks in Denmark.
Mark "Gonzo" Gonzales
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Totally understandable - the MLB product the White Sox are putting on the field right now is completely irrelevant. Would make more sense to send reporters to cover the A-ball teams where all the prospects are.

That's not the point. What they are doing is journalistically and ethically wrong. Period.

And since when does a team need to "be good" to get coverage? ***?

In two years assuming the franchise is good again the Sox need to tell the Cub-une to go **** themselves when they start coming around again.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Newspapers are all really short on money and have to make cuts. Let's face it, the 2018 White Sox are the least relevant pro sports team in Chicago. If they're gonna cut anyone they're gonna cut the Sox beat writer.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
WSI Guru

Did no one read my post? Until we know for sure what they're going to do, I call bull**** on no Sox beat writer.

And Lip, I don't recall the Hawks telling outlets to go **** themselves when they started getting more coverage. That's a situation I'm not prepared to deal with.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Did no one read my post? Until we know for sure what they're going to do, I call bull**** on no Sox beat writer.

And Lip, I don't recall the Hawks telling outlets to go **** themselves when they started getting more coverage. That's a situation I'm not prepared to deal with.
You're missing the ****ing point because you LOVE to get on a high horse and critique others.

A quality writer and man lost his job. PERIOD. You need to check your priorities before getting on here and berating people's opinions.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
You're missing the ****ing point because you LOVE to get on a high horse and critique others.

A quality writer and man lost his job. PERIOD. You need to check your priorities before getting on here and berating people's opinions.
I didn't say I didn't care about that. In fact, all I thought about was what might happen to him until I logged on here and saw that for every person who shared those sentiments, there were people seemed to be more upset that a position relating to coverage of their team was being eliminated. I thought that was missing the point more than anything else. People are jumping to conclusions and saying the team won't be covered like the other teams in town. All I'm saying is let's wait to see what the next move by the Trib is before all this "Woe is us" bull**** allows perception to become fact. If that makes me a berating *******, then I guess I'm a berating *******.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Can everyone try to take a step back or do I need to close this thread and roadhouse it?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

Thomas:

At the rate they have let folks go, who in fact do they have left? It's already been stated they are no longer going to cover the team on the road (probably just use boilerplate AP stuff...)

I mean think about it...this is the CHICAGO TRIBUNE using the AP to cover at least half the time one of the five major pro sports teams in the city.

I'd think that is an indictment enough right there wouldn't you say?

Wanna bet they send Gonzo to all Cub road games?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

I was a 2 newspaper/day guy for most of my life- but to be honest- I haven't gone to the Tribune or the Sun Times for "beat coverage" in years- I fine higher quality coverage other places online...hell- WSI is the first place I go to understand what's going on with the Sox.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I was a 2 newspaper/day guy for most of my life- but to be honest- I haven't gone to the Tribune or the Sun Times for "beat coverage" in years- I fine higher quality coverage other places online...hell- WSI is the first place I go to understand what's going on with the Sox.
Truth in what you say but WSI, South Side Sox, Sox Net NO on-line web site has the access that the major media outlets have. And newspapers by their nature have the time, space and ability to offer in-depth coverage.

TV web sites don't... say NBC Sports Chicago for example.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
In two years assuming the franchise is good again the Sox need to tell the Cub-une to go **** themselves when they start coming around again.
I don’t know if this is the right idea. Millions of Sox fans reading that paper likely would appreciate the return of coverage. Plus, the team would benefit from the increased exposure and publicity.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post

Beautifully put.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post

I completely disagree with this statement. The Sox were irrelevant three years ago. There's actually more buzz about the team right now than there has been in many years, and it's only going to snowball. Meanwhile, the Bears, Bulls and Hawks are a mess.

The time to cut beat reporters is not now. Three years ago, perhaps, but not now.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:17 PM
WSI Personality

We lose Chris Hayes and Chris Kuc within a few months?

Is baseball dying?