White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
He reminds me of a better version of Seth Beer last year, plus he has some footspeed as can play a position well. His bat will progress through the system quickly, but the question is how long he needs at the higher levels against advanced pitching, and also the question of how he adjusts to handle adversity since he’s crushed NCAA pitching and will have an easy path to start.
Definitely a better fielder than Beer at 1B and a lot less swing and miss to his game. Beer looks outstanding now, but he will always strikeout a ton with his all-or-nothing approach, IMHO. Vaughn just punishes the ball without selling out for power.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I like the pick. I wonder what this means for Jake Burger's future with the organization? Stock-piling talent is never a bad idea.
To me it means the Sox see Burger still as a 3b, knowing they can also use one as a DH
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
No offense but if you are questioning the CEILING of this guy you are unarmed. This is a 60/65 contact power potential with a 60 eye.
Generally speaking, more athletic high schoolers have more potential to improve than NCAA first basemen. And you don’t pick at #3 or above very often.

His bat looks great, not knocking the guy. We’ll see soon how it translates to the upper level of the minors.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I like the pick. I wonder what this means for Jake Burger's future with the organization? Stock-piling talent is never a bad idea.
The stock-pile of talent you mentioned is certainly a good position to find yourself in. That said, you can only protect 40 (I think is the number). The Sox could use "excess players" for trades; possibly a pitcher.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 PM
WSI Prelate

I am pleased with the pick. We picked the best player available. And he fits our rebuild/contention window timeline.

I think he’ll hit through Kannapolis and Winston-Salem this year, and then Birmingham and Charlotte in 2020.

With this, I think we should sign Abreu to a 2-year extension to cover 2020 and 2021.

For 2020, I’d have Collins and McCann share DH and C duty, with Zavala as the backup.

Then, in 2021, I’d have Vaughn - if he’s ready, which I think he will be - share 1B/DH with Abreu.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Glad the Sox did not get cute.

Went for the guy with perhaps the most elite tool in the draft, the bat.

I see a game changer +.900 OPS bat here. We so needed this.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Looks like this is gonna be the last high pick for the Sox for a while, given the return to the team's traditional mediocrity. Hope it works out.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
We just got the best hitter in the entire draft. THE BEST HITTER in the draft. LOVE THIS PICK
Wasn't Beckham a sure fire pick at eight?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-03-2019, 08:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Wasn't Beckham a sure fire pick at eight?
Beckham had only 1 big year in college, Vaughn has been excellent all three years. Can't even compare the two.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He had 82 BB (23 intentional) and only 33K last year. He registered 176 AB so rougly 260 PA and a .539 OBP (NOT a typo). 123 TB in 169 AB according to baseball cube. That's just freakish...

Obviously he was being pitched around a lot, I don't think Cal had much going on other than him. But the impressive thing I heard a couple times (including in the post-draft analysis on MLBTV) was that Vaughn never forced the issue when he was being pitched around, he was happy taking his walks, but at the same time he was locked in so that if a pitcher did make a mistake over the plate, he would punish it.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
He reminds me of a better version of Seth Beer last year, plus he has some footspeed as can play a position well. His bat will progress through the system quickly, but the question is how long he needs at the higher levels against advanced pitching, and also the question of how he adjusts to handle adversity since he’s crushed NCAA pitching and will have an easy path to start.
In the White Sox Talk podcast this week Callis was on, and Garfien made the Seth Beer comparison regarding Vaughn. Callis said he hates that comparison - that Vaughn is a much better prospect than Beer ever was. Vaughn is supposedly a pretty good athlete, although almost definitely a first baseman, whereas Beer was always a terrible athlete who was going to be DH only. Also Vaughn has had some success with the wood bats, while Beer hadn't (until this year).
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
To me it means the Sox see Burger still as a 3b, knowing they can also use one as a DH
To me all it says is they thought that Vaughn was the best guy this year, just like they thought Burger was the best guy two years ago. If everyone works out, then it's a good problem to have.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Also Vaughn has had some success with the wood bats, while Beer hadn't (until this year).
College and their composite bats is such a joke. Get him in a wood bat league ASAP. Hopefully he can play first base at the major league level.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
College and their composite bats is such a joke. Get him in a wood bat league ASAP. Hopefully he can play first base at the major league level.
Why wouldn't he be able to play First Base
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Why wouldn't he be able to play First Base
Because the Sox drafted him... DUH!

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Closed Thread