White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,652
Default *OFFICIAL* 2019 Minor League Thread Part 2

Madrigal is somewhat concerning me - that OPS needs to be about 80 points higher for him to be worth the draft slot.
__________________
  #2  
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,796
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Now compare Madrigal to Niko Hoerner....same league....
  #3  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,652
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Now compare Madrigal to Niko Hoerner....same league....
Now compare Nico Herner to Luis Robert... same league...

__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #4  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,761
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Now compare Madrigal to Niko Hoerner....same league....
I admire your determination, and you make a lot of good arguments, but this is not one of them.

If the Sox has drafted Hoerner at #4, Sox fandom would have justifiably rioted. Any team drafting Hoerner at #4 would have been panned for an extreme reach. He was not ranked anywhere near the top of the draft by any scouts. In fact, MLBPipeline had Hoerner (52) ranked 22 spots BELOW Steele Walker (30)!

Madrigal was by far the superior prospect, and his scouting grades on every tool are higher than Hoerner’s, except on power, where Hoerner has 45 and Madrigal has 40, even though Madrigal hit more home runs in college than did Hoerner.

Also, early season/small sample size, etc...
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #5  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,360
Default

I remember one of MLB Pipeline’s scouting reports on Madrigal saying that he had a downward trajectory to his swing after coming back from his shoulder injury. That may take a while to correct, so I’m not as worried about the lack of power as I normally would be. At least we have seen that his bat-on-ball abilities and his defensive capabilities are both as good as advertised.

I would think that the first step would be to get back to a nice, level swing. After that adjustment happens, overcoming any difficulties making contact or hitting the ball to all fields—if there are any—would be next. In other words, getting him back to the player he was at Oregon State should be the goal. After that is accomplished, then he can work on adjusting his launch angle.

He has some natural baseball abilities that a lot of other guys can only dream of having. If those abilities don’t eventually translate into results, I won’t blame the pick itself. What I will do is take a long, hard look at the player development people in this organization and try to figure out if they are somehow responsible for the situation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
  #6  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,796
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Now compare Nico Herner to Luis Robert... same league...
But not the same draft. Madrigal and Hoerner = same league, same draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I admire your determination, and you make a lot of good arguments, but this is not one of them.

If the Sox has drafted Hoerner at #4, Sox fandom would have justifiably rioted.
Also, early season/small sample size, etc...
I agree with you. But my point is that the #24 pick (as well as several others) is outshining the #4 pick made by the White Sox. Hopefully it is just sample size, as, indeed, it is a small sample. Or in a broader perspective, in the last 2 years, whether via draft or trade, what player has Hahn brought in that we can point to as a core piece?

Last edited by Tragg; 04-24-2019 at 09:35 AM.
  #7  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I remember one of MLB Pipeline’s scouting reports on Madrigal saying that he had a downward trajectory to his swing after coming back from his shoulder injury. That may take a while to correct, so I’m not as worried about the lack of power as I normally would be. At least we have seen that his bat-on-ball abilities and his defensive capabilities are both as good as advertised.

I would think that the first step would be to get back to a nice, level swing. After that adjustment happens, overcoming any difficulties making contact or hitting the ball to all fields—if there are any—would be next. In other words, getting him back to the player he was at Oregon State should be the goal. After that is accomplished, then he can work on adjusting his launch angle.

He has some natural baseball abilities that a lot of other guys can only dream of having. If those abilities don’t eventually translate into results, I won’t blame the pick itself. What I will do is take a long, hard look at the player development people in this organization and try to figure out if they are somehow responsible for the situation.
First of all, I also think it's too early to be doing the BustWatch talk about Madrigal. Player development isn't always linear. So, it's a bit premature to look at the June 2018 picks and start pointing fingers at Rick Hahn for selecting Nick Madrigal or to crown other 2018 draftees as bona-fide successes.

But IF Madrigal were to fail to become a plus MLB player, that's where I would look. I have long wondered if it isn't so much the player selection but the player development that has been the biggest problem for the Sox organization.
  #8  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 AM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But not the same draft. Madrigal and Hoerner = same league, same draft



I agree with you. But my point is that the #24 pick (as well as several others) is outshining the #4 pick made by the White Sox. Hopefully it is just sample size, as, indeed, it is a small sample. Or in a broader perspective, in the last 2 years, whether via draft or trade, what player has Hahn brought in that we can point to as a core piece?
You could have stopped at the bolded part, but since you're counting small sample sizes, Hahn drafted Anderson and traded for Kopech and Moncada in the last 2 years.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
  #9  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,432
Default

Other than the Madrigal bustwatch, there were some bits of good news down on the farm yesterday. The big bats at Birmingham seem to have come around the last few games. Rutherford 2 for 4 and Gonzalez and Booker each 1 for 3 with a walk. Sheets and Adolfo also had hits.

Basabe was 2 for 5 with a triple in his 2nd rehab game with Kanny. Walker 1 for 3 with a triple. Bryce Bush is perhaps finally coming around the last couple of games after an abysmal start. He was 2 for 5 last night and 1 for 2 with 3 walks the night before.
  #10  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:46 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
First of all, I also think it's too early to be doing the BustWatch talk about Madrigal. Player development isn't always linear. So, it's a bit premature to look at the June 2018 picks...
It's really sad that this even needs to be mentioned...
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #11  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Or in a broader perspective, in the last 2 years, whether via draft or trade, what player has Hahn brought in that we can point to as a core piece?
Can we not hijack every single thread with this sunk cost fallacy nonsense?
  #12  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Can we not hijack every single thread with this sunk cost fallacy nonsense?

You'd think Moncada and Anderson's breakouts would result in Sox fans showing a little more patience with our younger players.
  #13  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,103
Default

Is this thread seriously talking about Madrigal as a bust?

We've done it.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
  #14  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:44 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Is this thread seriously talking about Madrigal as a bust?

We've done it.
People are also harping on him for not displaying much power--his weakest tool, the tool that his own game just isn't built on.

The guy is a future 9, 1, or 2 hitter. Don't try to pigeonhole him into what he is not.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #15  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:44 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Is this thread seriously talking about Madrigal as a bust?

We've done it.
Not really, just some early hand wringing...
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.