White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 27,481
Default *Official* 5/20/19 Could Have Been Worse Postgamer

The bullpen day was decent, but the offense couldn't get anything going. First game of what could be a long road trip.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,321
Default *Official* 5/20/19 “The sight of a Peacock’s feather makes me sick!” postgamer

The Bullpen gave as much as anyone could realistically hope them to give.

Batting order sucked again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2019, 01:12 AM
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California
Posts: 2,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The bullpen day was decent, but the offense couldn't get anything going. First game of what could be a long road trip.
Yeah tomorrow the Sox have Covey going against Verlander! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 AM
insp insp is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 193
Default

This game featured two of my pet peeves about this team:

1: The failure to get walks.

2: The fact that repeatedly a batter would get 2-3 balls in the count and then throw it all away with a weak attempt to hit the ball into play. Don't they realize that the team that gets on base the most is usually the team that wins?
What is their hitting coach teaching them?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 AM
TDog TDog is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
This game featured two of my pet peeves about this team:

1: The failure to get walks.

2: The fact that repeatedly a batter would get 2-3 balls in the count and then throw it all away with a weak attempt to hit the ball into play. Don't they realize that the team that gets on base the most is usually the team that wins?
What is their hitting coach teaching them?
Hitting coaches don't teach players how to walk, not the good ones anyway. There might be a team philosophy stressing walks, and hitting coaches might talk about what pitches a hitter should lay off of, but hitting is more about getting a good pitch when you're ahead int he count than talking pitches because you're ahead in the count.

I actually like that Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada aren't trying to work pitchers for walks. Last year they were taking too many pitches they should have been hitting. Anderson made a conscious effort to walk more. He increased his walks in 2018 to 30 from 13 and lowered his batting average dropped from .257 to .240 -- each additional walk was offset by a drop in his batting average. His on-base percentage only rose from .276 to .281.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Yeah tomorrow the Sox have Covey going against Verlander! Good luck!
Justin Verlander
RHP
7-1, 2.38 ERA, 77 SO
"Verlander has eight quality starts in 10 outings this year and has struck out 77 and walked only 16 in 64 1/3 innings. He's allowed one earned run or fewer in six of his last seven starts with a 1.71 ERA in that span."

Verlander has been out of this world so far but he can get beat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Hitting coaches don't teach players how to walk, not the good ones anyway. There might be a team philosophy stressing walks, and hitting coaches might talk about what pitches a hitter should lay off of, but hitting is more about getting a good pitch when you're ahead int he count than talking pitches because you're ahead in the count.

I actually like that Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada aren't trying to work pitchers for walks. Last year they were taking too many pitches they should have been hitting. Anderson made a conscious effort to walk more. He increased his walks in 2018 to 30 from 13 and lowered his batting average dropped from .257 to .240 -- each additional walk was offset by a drop in his batting average. His on-base percentage only rose from .276 to .281.
Well said TDog. As a team the hitting in better but still average in the American League, eleventh out of thirty in MLB.

So far Anderson and Moncada have been really been fun to watch. McCann, Tilson too. It's still a lineup with issues that seems to get put together, one through nine, in surprising order.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,789
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
So far Anderson and Moncada have been really been fun to watch. McCann, Tilson too. It's still a lineup with issues that seems to get put together, one through nine, in surprising order.
11th in batting average; 19th in OBP, SLG and OPS. Can they keep up that batting average?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 7,220
Default

Might be able to pull one out with decent run support.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
11th in batting average; 19th in OBP, SLG and OPS. Can they keep up that batting average?

Some of the outliers are putting up ridiculous BABIPs. So it's probably a mirage and will come back to the rest of the numbers. It's not 30th though. Last year were were at the bottom or near in every category. It's progress, just not as much as people think it is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Justin Verlander
RHP
7-1, 2.38 ERA, 77 SO
"Verlander has eight quality starts in 10 outings this year and has struck out 77 and walked only 16 in 64 1/3 innings. He's allowed one earned run or fewer in six of his last seven starts with a 1.71 ERA in that span."

Verlander has been out of this world so far but he can get beat.


My mind just cut scene to the Drederick Tatum episode of the Simpsons.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,373
Default

I really, really, really wish that Renteria would put Eloy at DH, especially considering how goofy the left field corner is in Houston.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:39 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,639
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I really, really, really wish that Renteria would put Eloy at DH, especially considering how goofy the left field corner is in Houston.
He needs to stay out there and get comfortable. If he can play LF in Houston he can play it anywhere and yes those goofy angles make for some wacky plays for people not used to it, but that is part of the learning curve too.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He needs to stay out there and get comfortable. If he can play LF in Houston he can play it anywhere and yes those goofy angles make for some wacky plays for people not used to it, but that is part of the learning curve too.
I'd like to see him not hurt himself, so I think giving him a series off from the field would help ensure he doesn't run into a wall again. I also think giving him some time off from the field could help his hitting too as it would let him focus on one facet of his game that he needs to improve upon.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,639
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I'd like to see him not hurt himself, so I think giving him a series off from the field would help ensure he doesn't run into a wall again. I also think giving him some time off from the field could help his hitting too as it would let him focus on one facet of his game that he needs to improve upon.
Faster he goes though the growing pains the better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 7,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Faster he goes though the growing pains the better.
Yep- people were calling for Moncada to give up switch hitting, moving Anderson to the outfield, calling Giolito a bust, Bummer as "flotsam & jetsam"- gotta let these guys work through the rough early months/1st season of being a big leaguer.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
"When you’re going good, you’re not that ****ing good,but when you’re going bad, you’re not that bad. That’s ****ing Satchel Paige there and that’s wisdom.” - Don Cooper, April-2019
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.