Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 03:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
"We hate Hawk."
"We hate Benetti."

I liked Hawk.

Nothing of an eye roll to say someone subjectively sucks at their job.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Benetti is HORRIBLE. He's immature and has no discipline. He seemingly would rather talk about anything but the game -- even in the late innings of a close one. The guy has no self-awareness. He makes a sllly comment and can't leave it alone, making more silly comments about an inane subject only interesting to him. There's some psychological stuff playing out with him, too. He sure likes making all kinds of comments about people in the crowd. It's like listening to a 10-year-old do the game.

As for Stone, he's along for the ride. He's so glad to be free from Hawk that he's willing to humor Benetti's immaturity. Stone has become a shill, too. Plus he's a phony. I've personally seem him be a mean-spirited jackass to fans when he knew Sox brass wasn't around. There's a reason he actually got booed during SoxFest introductions this year.

There's a couple knowledgeable Sox fans I know who can't stand their announcing either. Unfortunately, I suspect this pairing isn't going anywhere with the team's ratings rise. Of course, the rise is due to the team's performance, but management will falsely credit their new broadcast partnership for part of the improvement. A Major League team in a major market should field a broadcast to match. The Sox really blew a chance when Hawk retired to put together a young, first-class duo in the booth. At least Benetti is young. What was the thinking in keeping Stone? A new smart, energetic young team would've fit the emerging product on the field, and as a bonus it would have been a more attractive alternative to the boring, grandfatherly announcing on the North Side of town.
I don't know how many games you watch but this is an odd opinion that I completely disagree with and have not experienced.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
"We hate Hawk."
"We hate Benetti."

Yep. And the beat goes on at WSI.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just some random thoughts...

I liked Hawk a great deal. When Eloy hit the HR, I even said to myself, 'He looks up...You can put it on the board!" But he and Stone despised each other and it was time. Would still like to meet Hawk some day just to BS with him about baseball.

I still enjoy Stone as well. His ability to tell us what's coming next is very cool. He knows the game incredibly well and passes that knowledge along to the fans.

That leaves Jason. I'll admit to liking him more and more as time moves along. He does like the Sox and baseball which gives him two very strong points in my book.

I appreciate a great sense of humor, however, some of the things he says just aren't funny.

One last thing with Jason...Sometimes, things can be said just as well with fewer words than more. For example, coming into a commercial, just tell me "Sox lead 4-1 after five." That's sufficient.

I don't need, "Sox lead 4-1 after five against the Red Sox who are from Massachusetts which was one of the 13 colonies on this Thursday night in Chicago on the southeast corner of 35th and Shields."

Benetti is getting there. I'll be patient. It's just that less is more sometimes.

And please, please (bleep)can Sox Math. I don't care who the Sox fan who can add or subtract the fastest while Tweeting is.

No. Just no.

Go Sox!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I love Sox Math because it keeps people entertained and is a way for fans to interact (in a sense) with the broadcast while the game is ongoing. It's more about fan interaction that actual math. And it encourages people to tweet about the Sox on social media while the game is ongoing which could also lead to more people paying attention to the game. In other words, the positives outweigh the annoyance some may feel.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I like Benetti and I think he's getting better each season.

For things like Sox Math, Sticks and Stone, etc.- I don't mnd that stuff in the early innings but once the game gets past the 5th- that stuff needs to be shut down- unless the game is a blow out.

I have huge respect for Stone- but I don't really "enjoy" him as an announcer.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

I haven't listened to a lot of Benetti this year because I let my MLB.tv lapse, but based on previous years he not only is an engaging announcer but he actually brings out the best human side of Steve Stone, whose relationship with Hawk was super awkward. They get along great for two guys who were hired years apart.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

The only issue I have with Benetti and Stone is sometimes they don't call the action all that well going off on tangent or interviews and not telling us what is going on. I realize it's TV, but sometimes I'm driving in the car with the game going and can't always glance down to see what's going on.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM
WSI Personality

Benetti and Len Kasper were on 670 Tuesday before the first game of the Cubs series. McNeil and Parkins (mostly Parkins) convinced the two to throw in some random phrases that were texted to them by Score listeners during the game. Benett and Kasper both tweeted during the game after they had completed the task. It's not that big of a deal except I don't want someone in the booth pandering to talk radio clowns. As previous posters have mentioned it can be frustrating that they will at times try to make jokes during crucial parts of the game in which the tension and energy of the crowd should set the scene just fine without over doing it. I really enjoyed when it was Benetti and DJ during the first Nats series but him and Stone can be painfully dry.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

100% disagree. I find Benetti to be a welcome breath of fresh air. He brings out a much better version of Steve Stone, who we're lucky Hawk didn't drive away (or to the nuthouse). I also really enjoy the new broadcast features (SoxMath, Quick Question, One Thing with Ricky). I watch with my kids a lot, and they love that stuff (especially Sox Math). God forbid we engage younger fans with a more engaging broadcast than Hawk sitting in silence for minutes at a time.

I'm an out-of-market fan and as such I've had to watch a lot of other announcers over the years (especially the Rangers and Astros announcers). I'd take Benetti and Stone any day of the week over almost any other announcing team. The only one that I might even consider trading with is the Mets team.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:17 PM
WSI Guru

I like Jason, and he's growing on me. That said---

Selfishly, as I was trying to refrain from throwing the remote control against the wall two nights ago when TA was called out on that interference call on Abreu, I wished Hawk was there to be our voice. It was an awful, brutal, terrible call, and 20 seconds after it happened Jason was agreeing with the ump that it was the right call. Hawk would have been all over that and rightfully so. If we know it's a bad call at home, you want your announcer to echo that.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Benetti is HORRIBLE. He's immature and has no discipline. He seemingly would rather talk about anything but the game -- even in the late innings of a close one. The guy has no self-awareness. He makes a sllly comment and can't leave it alone, making more silly comments about an inane subject only interesting to him. There's some psychological stuff playing out with him, too. He sure likes making all kinds of comments about people in the crowd. It's like listening to a 10-year-old do the game.
Watching games this year, I've noticed that there's a fundamental difference in the way the games are being directed. The director is cutting to crowd shots after every other pitch. By the end of the game, you feel like they've zoomed in on 20,000 people throughout the course of the game. It was cute during the dog day game, but it gets to be a little much. I understand why they are doing it. They're trying to copy what Arne Harris did for the Cubs for decades and showing what great fun people are having at the park. There were kids over the weekend behind homeplate hitting each other with those inflatable batons, and the camera kept going back to them after every pitch, and hey, the kid on the right ordered ice cream! Oh look, now his dad came there! Oh now someone is texting them to tell them they're on tv!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this change in the broadcasts.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like them together, but could do without the Sox Math thing, and some of the other social media stuff Jason does. Quick question I think the other one is called. They keep going back to it throughout the game.

I understand it is all the rage, but I could do without it. It must be an attempt to draw in more fans since social media stuff is hugely popular.

I do like their humor, though, otherwise. Jason has a quick wit, and so does Stone. I didn't know Stone was mean to some fans, he doesn't seem like the type but I wasn't there.

Perhaps he'll move on as he gets more comfortable in his role, and drop that kind of stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 PM
New At WSI

I know it's not necessarily their fault, but it seems like the last few times that there's been an extended interview (like with the guys promoting the cancer awareness/home run initiative, Tim Raines, etc.) it's been brutal - in part because they always tend to have a crappy inning. They tend to let the person/people talk and talk and talk, almost not acknowledging what's going on in the game. It almost gets to the point where I'll change the channel in hopes of ending the interview/bad inning.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I have no problem with the current broadcast team. I agree with someone that mentioned too many crowd shots. I wish they would use that camera time to show us defensive alignments instead.