White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,490
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
My concern is that nobody knows what his teaching skills are, including the organization that just hired him to be a teacher. Danny's literally less than three months removed from playing (with the Yankees). How do the Sox recognize that he should be a coach?

There are hundreds of coaches around the country at the collegiate level and perhaps the high school level that are better qualified than a 32 year old player that just retired five hours ago with no coaching experience.

I think it's a fair discussion given the dismal state of the Sox farm system in terms of organizational player development.

I'm one of the bigger JR supporters here, and don't get me wrong, this isn't negativity towards Farquhar. I hope he does well. And since yesterday, I don't think we know any more specifics about the job. If you step back and look at it though, it's like, really?
Why do you assume the Sox have no idea if he'd make a good coach/teacher? Didn't they work with him for several years? Don't you think that might give them a good idea of what his mental/emotional makeup are and whether he'd be a good candidate to help others improve their form and become stable pitchers?

Sure this might simply be a feel good "do right by our guy" story. It also might be something more than that and to assume there little or zero chance he succeeds seems to be odd. If he can't cut it they can always move him into public relations or suggest he hook on with a college or HS program and use their contacts to help make that happen, but if you want to learn to coach, it seems to me it would mostly take the right mental outlook and the willingness to learn. He certainly knows how to be a professional pitcher already.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 08-02-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-03-2019, 04:19 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why do you assume the Sox have no idea if he'd make a good coach/teacher? Didn't they work with him for several years? Don't you think that might give them a good idea of what his mental/emotional makeup are and whether he'd be a good candidate to help others improve their form and become stable pitchers?

Sure this might simply be a feel good "do right by our guy" story. It also might be something more than that and to assume there little or zero chance he succeeds seems to be odd. If he can't cut it they can always move him into public relations or suggest he hook on with a college or HS program and use their contacts to help make that happen, but if you want to learn to coach, it seems to me it would mostly take the right mental outlook and the willingness to learn. He certainly knows how to be a professional pitcher already.
Now it has become a condemnation of the man before he can even prove himself capable of doing the job.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,894
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why do you assume the Sox have no idea if he'd make a good coach/teacher?
Because they hired Ventura to be manager and apparently had no idea if he'd be a good coach/teacher. Same job was offered to Konerko before that while still an active player.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:55 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,490
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Because they hired Ventura to be manager and apparently had no idea if he'd be a good coach/teacher. Same job was offered to Konerko before that while still an active player.
Different circumstances. The Head Coach of the MLB club has much different duties than a low level minor league positional instructor.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,617
Default

I hope Hahn is right and honest when he says they had these talks prior to his near death experience.

Its just so hard when JR has this track record of being a very loyal man who takes care of his when they need it. I get that makes him an incredible man, but it also leaves his teams in bad spots (Bulls, Sox have each suffered tremendously from this loyalty).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:12 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,490
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I hope Hahn is right and honest when he says they had these talks prior to his near death experience.

Its just so hard when JR has this track record of being a very loyal man who takes care of his when they need it. I get that makes him an incredible man, but it also leaves his teams in bad spots (Bulls, Sox have each suffered tremendously from this loyalty).
Agreed. You hope the Sox did their due diligence, but let's be serious here. Even if this is nothing but a feel good story and Farquhar proves unable to fulfill the duties, what is the big issue?

This is an entry level minor league coaching position. Is there word they actually fired someone to bring Danny aboard or did they add one more coach? If it's the latter then nothing will have changed but the Sox will have one more pair of eyes to help young players figure out how to be better.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.