GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
From umps not wanting to call his curve slicing the zone to the nonexistent corners today, the kid sure seems to be getting the rookie treatment. He threw pretty well today.
That's the most important thing to me (thinking long-term).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
If you ran ERA stats like stock analysis and figured it as a 50-day exponential moving average, giving more meaning to recent performance, you might have a new ace of the staff. He was masterful. Speaking of masterful, Q struck out 14 for the Cubs today. Finally figured out how to put people away instead of getting 0-2 and then pecking away at the corners like he did here. Coaching play any role? BTW, Cubs lost 4-2.
What happened to all the stink being made on this site about the Nova trade being another FO travesty (giving up a DSL prospect and taking on his $9M salary)? He's not a long-term answer, of course, but he's provided much-needed stability to a rotation hit hard this year by season ending injuries (Rodon, Kopech).

As far as Q goes: best possible outcome - he pitches well and the Flubs lose.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Nova is a UFA next year. I imagine he will want a long term contract. Anything past 3 years is very risky. I can't imagine the Sox going out of their way to throw big money at him. Not sure what a qualifying offer would be but probably too high to risk.

Not disappointed they kept Colome. Hope he manages to duplicate this season next year.
I donít think he will command a second year. Even elite pitchers usually only get a guarantee that takes them to age 34 or age 35, and Nova will be heading into his age-33 season next year. If he makes what he made this year again next year, it will be a successful free agency period for him.

A qualifying offer is out of the question. He would jump all over an ~$18 million offer for next year.

Retaining Nova as depth depends on the innings limits on Kopech and Rodon. Honestly, I would not even bother having Rodon try to start games anymore. I would factor him out of that rotation equation completely going forward, but the White Sox may not agree. Plus, there will be IL stints to cover.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

During the first game I texted my friend to ask if Castillo had covered his glove with grease.

A blind person could have done better stopping those pitches.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
No one is giving Ivan Nova a contract of more than one year. Maybe some team would give him two. Maybe. That would be a poor decision, though.

Hold my beer-

Rick Hahn
Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

There's a lot of guys like Nova out there. I'm sure the Sox will get one to backstop the 2020 rotation.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM
WSI Guru

https://theathletic.com/1136899/2019...y-even-matter/
Great Athletic piece on the terrific turnaround that is Nova's season.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Definitely. He made a nice play on the ball and then failed to get his legs underneath him and threw a submarine parachute flip to first. His best chance was to gather himself and come straight over the top with his throw.

This type of stuff, throwing errors making up approximately half of his error count, has to stop.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-14-2019, 03:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Eloy is still a danger to himself and others out there. He, Engel, and Anderson were all converging on a popup. He ran between Engel and Anderson to catch it. He's the last one who should be taking it. I thought sure there was going to be a collision.
Engel makes the call (as you know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubuqueSox View Post
It seemed to me like Eloy had possibly the best angle on that popup. I had no problems with him catching it. If we want him to be a passable outfielder, he has to be able to make a play like that.
Eloy has all off season to learn how to make a "play like that".

If it looked close to being a collision then it's horrible baseball. I am with Nellie_Fox: Eloy should be the last person I want making that play.

Note: Eloy looked lost today (08/14/2019) on a couple of plays. Hopefully he works in the off season to improve.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 08-14-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

EDIT: Just to add the under-the-hood numbers. 0.49 ERA across his past five starts with 37 IP. BUT his SIERA is 5.13, and his xFIP is 4.90 over that stretch.

What is the meaning of this gibberish?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
What is the meaning of this gibberish?
Now that Iím fairly sure this is a trolling account based on the totality of the posts, Iíll act accordingly.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:

EDIT: Just to add the under-tthe-hood numbers. 0.49 ERA across his past five starts with 37 IP. BUT his SIERA is 5.13, and his xFIP is 4.90 over that stretch.

This is totally going to last.
Nova pitched 37 innings in five games, and easily could have had a second CG in that span. That's a very valuable month+.

Taking the ERA at face value, Nova gave up very few earned runs. That's reality, and it explains why he was able to last deep into games.

What jumped out at me was his very low strikeout numbers. Since strikeouts are major contributors to stats like SIERA and xFIP, that's why those stats didn't like his performances. But let's say Nova just had a stretch where he was throwing his sinker really well. Batters were jumping on his sinkers early and beating them into the ground. That resulted in quick outs.

I think this may point to a flaw in SIERA and xFIP. Yes, Nova is bound to regress anyway, because he outpitched his career and recent numbers...but does he have the ability to outperform xFIP consistently?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Nova pitched 37 innings in five games, and easily could have had a second CG in that span. That's a very valuable month+.

Taking the ERA at face value, Nova gave up very few earned runs. That's reality, and it explains why he was able to last deep into games.

What jumped out at me was his very low strikeout numbers. Since strikeouts are major contributors to stats like SIERA and xFIP, that's why those stats didn't like his performances. But let's say Nova just had a stretch where he was throwing his sinker really well. Batters were jumping on his sinkers early and beating them into the ground. That resulted in quick outs.

I think this may point to a flaw in SIERA and xFIP. Yes, Nova is bound to regress anyway, because he outpitched his career and recent numbers...but does he have the ability to outperform xFIP consistently?
Ability? Sure. But the life of a sinkerballer in this day and age is wildly unpredictable. Dylan Covey is the same way. These guys miss with a few pitches, and itís a batting practice session.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And other players need to learn to give way to him also. It's part of the growth of any outfielder. If it's his ball, others shouldn't be calling him off it.
The center fielder calls the shots in the outfield. That's basic baseball. All three were arriving at the spot the ball was falling simultaneously. There's no way it was Jiminez's ball. A left fielder should always yield to a center fielder who has a clear play on the ball.

The comments indicate that nobody else saw the play, so I'll leave it at that.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-15-2019, 02:20 AM
WSI Regular

You can't have Jimenez be afraid to make a play. If he makes an early call for the ball and is running for it and can get it, there are times when he might be the best guy to catch it. I saw the play, and the play was made. When a big guy is running hard and isn't as agile as another player, sometimes it's best for the smaller player to get out of the way and not make the big guy stop or make a sudden quick turn.

What happened in Kansas City was Tilson made a too-late call for the ball. He admitted he did that. This time, Engel had enough sense to get out of the way, knowing that the play still could be made by Jimenez. In MOST cases, it is best for the center fielder to make the play, but not always.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubuqueSox View Post
You can't have Jimenez be afraid to make a play. If he makes an early call for the ball and is running for it and can get it, there are times when he might be the best guy to catch it. I saw the play, and the play was made. When a big guy is running hard and isn't as agile as another player, sometimes it's best for the smaller player to get out of the way and not make the big guy stop or make a sudden quick turn.
Belief that momentum dictates who takes makes the play in the outfield is not right: it's not even wrong.

The center fielder calls the shots in the outfield no matter the size or lack of agility of his corner outfielders.

As for Tilson admitting his error in the outfield I have no more reason to believe that's explanation is the truth than I do Tilson's covering for a young teammate.

Eloy struggled last night (8-14-19) on a couple of plays. Both led to runs against. He'll earn the trust of his teammates when he learns how to play the position. Until then any CF out there should take all he can get.