White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Madison Bumgarner Says No to the DH Rule

What say you? I didn't like the rule at first way back in 1973 but I have to admit it has grown on me. I think it's time the NL adopts the DH. My tipping point in the decision was a couple of years ago when Adam Wainwright of the Cardinals got injured running the bases. To lose the Ace of your staff and diminishing the chances of your team reaching the postseason is one major factor in my humble opinion. I want to see pitchers pitch, not bat.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...629-story.html

PS. Of course to counter this argument is there anything more surprising or thrilling for the team when the Pitcher does something like this??

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/michae...ew/c-283535524
Old 07-01-2018, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

The status quo definitely needs to change; it’s silly to have half the regulation games in a major league sport played under a different set of rules. Since the MLBPA won’t willingly give up the DH, the NL simply will have to adopt it.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

I grew up an AL fan in Chicago and have been closely following an NL team here in Washington. As fun as it is to see a pitcher get a hit, the game is higher quality when professional hitters are doing the hitting. Nothing sucks more than a 2 out rally that ends prematurely because the pitcher steps to the plate. That happens a lot more than Bartolo Colon going deep.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-01-2018, 05:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The status quo definitely needs to change; it’s silly to have half the regulation games in a major league sport played under a different set of rules. Since the MLBPA won’t willingly give up the DH, the NL simply will have to adopt it.
Disagree. I like the difference between nl and al
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with MadBum about keeping the NL DH free but believe Mohoney's statement will come to pass.

The NL missed voting in the DH by a vote (and a fishing trip) in what, 1980?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The NL is the only league at any level without a DH. Even Japan has it.

Get with the program.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 PM
WSI Personality

I love the DH.

Advocates for the NL game usually say that there’s more strategy and it’s more compelling...I just find that it leads to a lot of intentional walks to the 8 spot and automatic rally-killing outs when it’s too early in the game to pull your pitcher.

I like knowing that every hitter is a threat to hit, and while people argue that it could lead to “specialization” like football has, well, second basemen don’t have to learn how to throw curveballs or 95mph fastballs.

I don’t mind it being different between the leagues at all, though—it’s actually kind of cool how they’re different. But I prefer the AL game
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I could care less either way. My thought is that the added game time stemming from extra offense will stop this from happening in the near future; Manfred seems to be obsessed with that as a major issue.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think the batters ought to be the same nine in the field, but obviously in the minority there
Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Disagree. I like the difference between nl and al
That made sense when they were actually separate leagues. With interleague games every day, teams changing leagues, talk of more realignment by geography, it makes no sense at all. Would you like it if the AFC and NFC played by different rules, and the home team determining which set of rules you play under?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
That made sense when they were actually separate leagues. With interleague games every day, teams changing leagues, talk of more realignment by geography, it makes no sense at all. Would you like it if the AFC and NFC played by different rules, and the home team determining which set of rules you play under?
This is kind of how I feel. Before the Astros joined the AL, I liked the fact you'd see AL pitchers try to hit during interleague and when they'd get a hit, that was a lot of fun. But if you're going to have interleague every day, then it doesn't make sense to have two sets of rules for the two leagues.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Adopt the DH in the NL. As a concession for those who like the strategy of the double-switch, make the DH a “position” like any other, thus allowing a player already in the game to switch to the DH, or from the DH to the field, without losing the DH spot within that game.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Adopt the DH in the NL. As a concession for those who like the strategy of the double-switch, make the DH a “position” like any other, thus allowing a player already in the game to switch to the DH, or from the DH to the field, without losing the DH spot within that game.
Regardless of which viewpoint you hold (I favor pitchers hitting), I never understood why the DH could not be a position like any other on the field. That it isn’t is an artificial construct.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
This is a very valid point. With interleague play happening daily they need to pick a rule and stick with it. I prefer the DH, but make up your mind and go forward.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't want to watch someone who devotes their career to pitching try to bat, just in the same way I don't want to see someone who devotes their career to hitting and fielding try to pitch....unless it's at the end of a blowout.

They have the DH in highschool, they have it in college but they don't have it in the NL.