White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks for the excellent responses. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject.

If I could bend Joe Torre and Rob Manfred's ear for an afternoon I would make these suggestions to help improve the game.

1) DH for the NL.

2) Expand ML rosters to 27 players, but you can only dress 25 for the game. This way you can rest 2 players and not play with a short roster each day. Especially after a LONG extra inning game or a Double Header.

3) Schedule more Double Headers, at least one per month so the season can end about a week earlier than it already does. This would permit the entire playoffs to end IN OCTOBER.

My reasoning for expanding the rosters and shortening the baseball season on the calendar (not so much cut games, but more doubleheaders) would ensure that by the time the postseason rolls around the players and mostly Pitchers would still have something left in the tank.

The two extra tiers in the Playoffs now have the Postseason playing out in to early November. Not a problem if you play in Houston, Fla or California. But NY, Boston, and the Midwest is just not equipped for November baseball.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
2) Expand ML rosters to 27 players, but you can only dress 25 for the game. This way you can rest 2 players and not play with a short roster each day. Especially after a LONG extra inning game or a Double Header.
I really like this idea. In practice, I think teams would “inactivate” the previous game’s starting pitcher and the next game’s scheduled starter, and we’d start to see nine-man bullpens.

And it would make possible additional scheduled double-headers, just as you say.

I think the MLBPA would like it. I think the owners would hate it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I really like this idea. In practice, I think teams would “inactivate” the previous game’s starting pitcher and the next game’s scheduled starter, and we’d start to see nine-man bullpens.

There is a way to prevent that. Make the "dress list" subject to the same rules as minor league options. Make it so that only players with remaining minor league options can be left off the "dress list" without being subjected to waivers.

Having the concept basically become a temporary dumping ground for two off-limits starters just to facilitate even more pitching changes would be counterproductive.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
That made sense when they were actually separate leagues. With interleague games every day, teams changing leagues, talk of more realignment by geography, it makes no sense at all. Would you like it if the AFC and NFC played by different rules, and the home team determining which set of rules you play under?
lol, imagine one conference using Canadian rules. 3 downs, receivers can be in motion.

But no-DH isn't that much of a difference. Tradition is a thing, the NL hasn't had a DH since 1876. It's cringey to see the DH in an NL ASG, but oh well. Let's stop it there.

As long as NL ratings and attendance don't drop below AL level, there will be no need to add DH. Fans aren't ditching NL baseball because the pitcher hits, and many actually prefer that.

I wouldn't be able to handle DH in NL, tbh. Too surreal. The surreal does become reality the longer one lives, but let's keep things normal for as long as possible.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That made sense when they were actually separate leagues. With interleague games every day, teams changing leagues, talk of more realignment by geography, it makes no sense at all. Would you like it if the AFC and NFC played by different rules, and the home team determining which set of rules you play under?
Actually, before the merger, the AFL had the two point option after a touchdown.

I'd like to get rid of the the DH, but phase it out over a three year period (with cooperation of the NCAA and the minor leagues, of course) First, you do it for a the NCAA and low minors(Rookie and A Ball) and all spring training and regular season interleague games. Second year, high minors (AA and AAA) and all spring training and World Series games, in addition to RS interleague, year three it is gone entriely
Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Actually, before the merger, the AFL had the two point option after a touchdown.
I know; they even had a differently-shaped ball than the NFL. But when they merged, they standardized the rules.

The American and National Leagues are no longer leagues in the true sense. There's really only "conferences" of one league. There are no league offices anymore. There's just MLB. The umpires are the same. There's inter-league every day. There's just no justification for keeping a different rule in one league, and plenty of reason to make them unified. And since the Players' Association is NEVER going to agree to eliminating the DH, it's time to force it on the NL.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-04-2018, 05:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
There's just no justification for keeping a different rule in one league, and plenty of reason to make them unified. And since the Players' Association is NEVER going to agree to eliminating the DH, it's time to force it on the NL.

I agree that the two different DH rules are bogus. First off, how would you force a change on the NL?

The second question is to your assertion as to why the Players' Association wants to avoid the DH in the NL.

With the DH the league is standardized (standardization is not always an end in itself), more players hang around longer meaning more money to the association, more runs per game is a likely result and the DH in the NL would provide the owners a little comfort knowing all that big money spent on pitchers lessens the risk on injuries (either at bat or running the bases).

I'd ditch the DH. But I do understand, though not agree with, the reasons for making the DH a standard.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I agree that the two different DH rules are bogus. First off, how would you force a change on the NL?

The second question is to your assertion as to why the Players' Association wants to avoid the DH in the NL.

With the DH the league is standardized (standardization is not always an end in itself), more players hang around longer meaning more money to the association, more runs per game is a likely result and the DH in the NL would provide the owners a little comfort knowing all that big money spent on pitchers lessens the risk on injuries (either at bat or running the bases).

I'd ditch the DH. But I do understand, though not agree with, the reasons for making the DH a standard.
I think you misread the part about the MLBPA. The PA likes the DH because traditionally DH have been highly paid players and that's what the PA is there for - to get more money in the players' pockets. They won't agree to eliminate it for that reason so the only option is to force the NL to accept it and implement it there also.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think you misread the part about the MLBPA. The PA likes the DH because traditionally DH have been highly paid players and that's what the PA is there for - to get more money in the players' pockets. They won't agree to eliminate it for that reason so the only option is to force the NL to accept it and implement it there also.

More money in the player's pockets means more money in the PA vault correct? :')
Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
The American and National Leagues are no longer leagues in the true sense. There's really only "conferences" of one league. There are no league offices anymore. There's just MLB. The umpires are the same. There's inter-league every day. There's just no justification for keeping a different rule in one league, and plenty of reason to make them unified. And since the Players' Association is NEVER going to agree to eliminating the DH, it's time to force it on the NL.

Agreed. I just spent two days watching NL rules baseball. What a bunch of crap, watching offense grind to a halt every nine batters. The chess match aspect has all the excitement of a croquet game. I was cringing every time our pitchers came to bat, hoping they wouldn't get hurt running to first, or in the case of Shields, running the bases.

The DH is here to stay, it's good for the health of pitchers, and it's time for the NL to play the game the modern way.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
The DH is here to stay, it's good for the health of pitchers, and it's time for the NL to play the game the modern way.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

The last thing any Sox fan wants (or needs) is to see Lopez,Giolito,Covey,Kopech or Rodon awkwardly run the bases,then slide into 2nd or third only to tear an ACL.