White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 08:09 PM
WSI Guru

J.D. Martinez is next, though he would cost a draft pick.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...011-draft.html
Old 10-28-2019, 05:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
J.D. Martinez is next, though he would cost a draft pick.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...011-draft.html
Yeah, keep stockpiling DHs. Try focusing on real needs Mr. Hahn.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Yeah, keep stockpiling DHs. Try focusing on real needs Mr. Hahn.
The team's cumulative DH production in 2019 was -3.5 WAR, which is close to the worst in baseball history. JD Martinez is an elite hitter and would immediately solve the DH problem for a few years.

What would you do to solve the DH problem?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
The team's cumulative DH production in 2019 was -3.5 WAR, which is close to the worst in baseball history. JD Martinez is an elite hitter and would immediately solve the DH problem for a few years.

What would you do to solve the DH problem?
(half-joking) Eloy?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
(half-joking) Eloy?
(not joking) Bingo. Eloy is a DH in waiting. Move him now and find a two-way left fielder.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

The 2019 White Sox were really bad at offense despite having the AL batting champion, Yoan Moncada, Jose Abreu, and Eloy Jimenez. They absolutely have to find ways to add hits and XBH to this lineup and signing JD Martinez would be one way of doing that. There's not a lot of other ways to do it via free agency.

What LF are you going to add that's as good as JD Martinez so you can shift Eloy to DH? Marcell Ozuna I guess. He's not as good as JD Martinez and is himself not a great defender, though he has the advantage of being 4 years younger than JD.

Frankly, I would be inclined to do an all-of-the-above: sign both Ozuna and Martinez and keep Eloy in LF. Yeah the outfield defense will suck but what other realistic ways to upgrade the Sox offense are out there? Hold out for Betts? Trade for Bryant and move him to LF?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Personality

Eloy isn't going to DH. He doesn't want to be a DH and the team has clearly indicated they don't want him to be a DH either, so I think that might be a non starter (at least for now). That's why I'd get JD Martinez and hope Eloy continues to develop his skills in the field. He knows he has to get better there.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:08 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Frankly, I would be inclined to do an all-of-the-above: sign both Ozuna and Martinez and keep Eloy in LF. Yeah the outfield defense will suck but what other realistic ways to upgrade the Sox offense are out there? Hold out for Betts? Trade for Bryant and move him to LF?
Find a competent stopgap for RF and throw everything at Betts when he's a free agent. The stopgap should be someone who could realistically be able to give you 2.0 WAR for the season while not being dreadful on defense.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:19 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Im not sold on martinez , he will command at least a 5 year deal. Thats a long time for a aging DH and they will have to give up a pick to get him.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Find a competent stopgap for RF and throw everything at Betts when he's a free agent. The stopgap should be someone who could realistically be able to give you 2.0 WAR for the season while not being dreadful on defense.
Marcell Ozuna put up 2.3 WAR this year. Sounds like you are describing him, though he is expecting far more than a "stopgap" deal. Though the market has humbled many hotshot FAs recently.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im not sold on martinez , he will command at least a 5 year deal. Thats a long time for a aging DH and they will have to give up a pick to get him.
Says who? He only got a 5 year deal when he was 30, he's now 32. There are very few teams that will even be going after him at this point. His only objective when opting out is getting more than $60mil/3. Personally, I'd like the Sox to see if he would take $60/2 with an option for a 3rd year if his market isn't that great.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Says who? He only got a 5 year deal when he was 30, he's now 32. There are very few teams that will even be going after him at this point. His only objective when opting out is getting more than $60mil/3. Personally, I'd like the Sox to see if he would take $60/2 with an option for a 3rd year if his market isn't that great.
I think he's opting out of 3 years / $62mil? I'm seeing it'll take 3 years and $70-75mil to get him. I'd do that if it's only 3 years and no more.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Those are the kind of aging FA deals the Sox should be doing right now for hitters and bullpen pieces: 2-3 years.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think he's opting out of 3 years / $62mil? I'm seeing it'll take 3 years and $70-75mil to get him. I'd do that if it's only 3 years and no more.
He get's $2.5mil by opting out, so its $60mil you have to beat on the open market. Yeah I'm not too interested in more than 3 years for him.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:39 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post

He not opting out for the same money and lower term. Hes opting out for more guaranteed money. The way you get more substantial guaranteed money is by increasing term. Also giving up a pick decreases his value. We will see but I still think he will get more term.
Closed Thread