White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Discussion of poster outlook at WSI

I came here fully expecting the thread about Abreu accepting the QO to be full of negativity and boy you guys didn't disappoint. This is in stark contrast to elsewhere online where this action was greeted positively or at least with a "meh".

The incessant negativity that fills this site on a daily basis over every move has gotten ridiculous. No wonder more and more people are taking a hiatus from here. Who has time to read for the hundredth time that the Sox will never sign any good players EVER or that they should white flag 2020 because Ricky is criminally incompetent?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2003
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I came here fully expecting the thread about Abreu accepting the QO to be full of negativity and boy you guys didn't disappoint. This is in stark contrast to elsewhere online where this action was greeted positively or at least with a "meh".

The incessant negativity that fills this site on a daily basis over every move has gotten ridiculous. No wonder more and more people are taking a hiatus from here. Who has time to read for the hundredth time that the Sox will never sign any good players EVER or that they should white flag 2020 because Ricky is criminally incompetent?
Yeah, because the Stuart Smalley clones trying to pump sunshine up everyone’s asses aren’t annoying in their own right...
Old 11-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, because the Stuart Smalley clones trying to pump sunshine up everyone’s asses aren’t annoying in their own right...
As someone who actually deals with complaints and comments from people who leave. I have yet to receive a single email saying, "WSI is just to freaking happy filled with sunshine and over optimistic about the team's chances, so I'm leaving."

Now ask me how many people have written to say they are leaving because of the intense negativity and feeling like they can't simply be a fan without getting shouted down by those who would "keep things real"?

Edit: I want to add. this is not to say people aren't entitled to their opinions. I and the other mods work hard to allow both sides to be heard, but since the topic came up. I figured I'd fill in some facts.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
As someone who actually deals with complaints and comments from people who leave. I have yet to receive a single email saying, "WSI is just to freaking happy filled with sunshine and over optimistic about the team's chances, so I'm leaving."

Now ask me how many people have written to say they are leaving because of the intense negativity and feeling like they can't simply be a fan without getting shouted down by those who would "keep things real"?
It would behoove them to grow thicker skin if they plan on engaging in a serious discussion in a public forum. At least we’re attacking the team instead of other posters.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
It would behoove them to grow thicker skin if they plan on engaging in a serious discussion in a public forum. At least we’re attacking the team instead of other posters.
Like I said, I try to let both sides have their say, but the original comment was about people leaving due to negativity. You replied the other side was just as annoying. I was merely letting you know most people don't seem to feel that way.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Edit: I want to add. this is not to say people aren't entitled to their opinions. I and the other mods work hard to allow both sides to be heard, but since the topic came up. I figured I'd fill in some facts.
I’m not surprised by this. At all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Regular

I would hope people aren't leaving. We need to share views even though we certainly won't all agree. But we must remain respectful of others opinions. I might say "...Reinsdorf is cheap...". Well that might be true or not true. I don't know that facts. I don't know how much money he and his investors are willing (and able) to fork up. Remember, they are not just paying players salaries but financing an entire organization (minors leagues, front office costs, building maintenance, and on and on). So while I may have the opinion "he's cheap" I could be wrong. But that's my opinion. And if someone is incorrect, it would be nice not to jump on them with both feet but educate in a constructive manner.
Regardless, I feel all our opinions will all become much more positive very soon once the W's start growing for our team.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
At least we’re attacking the team instead of other posters.
Which Sox players are "the Stuart Smalley clones who are trying to pump sunshine up everyone's asses?" I thought that referred to posters.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM

I split this thread so it won't turn into a bigger hijack in the Abreu thread.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Which Sox players are "the Stuart Smalley clones who are trying to pump sunshine up everyone's asses?" I thought that referred to posters.
That was a response to being “called out” for the umpteenth time by posters who think that their optimism based on complete conjecture is somehow more informed than our pessimism based on complete conjecture.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Outlook is based on reality. You don't like the outlook, maybe challenge the people at fault for the reality.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Outlook is based on reality. You don't like the outlook, maybe challenge the people at fault for the reality.
But perception is reality and everyone has their own perception.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
But perception is reality and everyone has their own perception.
When was the last time we made the playoffs?

Some things are objective. Most of our reality is not. There's a lot of good reasons to be negative about this team, because there's a pretty extensive track record - in results, development, and the use of resources.

The arrow is pointing up, but there's a lot of very sound reasons for concern. This is a very key offseason both with where we are in the rebuild as well as the fan and free agent perception of how our front office has operated the last decade+. It'll be interesting to see if the organization can make the jump.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Meh, the negativity here doesn't bother me, these are humble Sox fans who just want another title, that's all. Let em cook.

We will make the playoffs next year, mark my words. Gray skies are gonna clear up, put on a happy smile.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Voodoo,

The reactions today in the Grandal thread are exhibit number one whey people are fed up here. I’ve thought about leaving today. Just too much, and everyone who has been here for a decade plus knows I am a major pessimist.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."