Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Hitman:

Weil you please stop using facts to disrupt other posters' narratives? We need something to keep us occupied until 2020......

Old 10-05-2018, 04:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Frater, excellent point. Easy to keep taking pot shots about the Sox recent drafting history when you ignore the fact that most 1st round picks around the league never become all-stars.

Along those lines, I don't get the suggestion that picking Burdi at 26th overall was horribly bad. Even with having TJS, he still has a ceiling/potential of being an elite closer. And which player was picked shortly after him that made this such a ridiculous pick? Dane Dunning perhaps? He was selected 3 picks after Burdi. But, but, but....when the Sox acquired Dunning as one of 3 starting pitchers for future HOFer Adam Eaton, the trade was only grudgingly "okay".

I didn't realize we're writing off Burdi already even before he pitches in a single major league game. That just starts to sound like a "every move the Sox make is terrible" narrative.

Also, if the Madrigal pick doesn't count because it was a high pick, then I suppose the Cubs get no credit for picking Bryant and the Astros get no credit for picking Bregman and Correa.
Whilst waiting for my kids in car line, I looked up the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 draft classes.

In 2013, we picked Tim Anderson at 17. Baseball reference has him at 6.2 career WAR. After Anderson, the remaining first round picks were:

Chris Anderson, RHP, LAA - now retired
Marco Gonzales, LHP, STL - career WAR 2.4
Jonathon Crawford, RHP, DET - traded to Reds, last pitched in 2017 at A+ Daytona
Nick Ciuffo, C, TB - #24 prospect in TB system, just made MLB debut this September
Hunter Harvey, RHP, BAL - made his MLB debut this year only to go on DL with shoulder instability
Alex Gonzalez, RHP, TEX - .4 career WAR, missed all of 2018 after Tommy John surgery
Billy McKinney, OF, OAK - traded thrice in the minors, debut this year, .1 career WAR
Christian Arroyo, SS, SF - .02 career WAR, now with TB
Eric Jagielo, 3B, NYY - spent 2018 with Marlins AA Jacksonville
Phillip Ervin, OF, CIN - -.3 career WAR
Rob Kaminsky, LHP, STL - still in the minors with CLE
Ryne Stanek, RHP, TB - 1.3 career WAR, but looked solid this year with the Rays
Travis Demeritte, 3B, TEX - ranked #22 in the Braves system
Jaron Hurshel, RHP, ATL - -.2 career WAR
Aaron Judge, OF, NY - OK, but the Yankees picked Jagielo before him
Ian Clarkin, LHP, NY - now in the Sox system; acquired with Rutherford

As time permits, I’ll do the same thing with the 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 draft classes in subsequent posts.

I think it’s clear, though, that Tim Anderson is better than every subsequent 2013 first rounder besides Aaron Judge.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

I think its clear, though, that Tim Anderson is better than every subsequent 2013 first rounder besides Aaron Judge.
He was a decent pick. And he certainly could get better. But right now, he's an average player.
But dare I point out that Semien has a 8.9 WAR since joining the As, including 3.7 this season.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He was a decent pick. And he certainly could get better. But right now, he's an average player.
But dare I point out that Semien has a 8.9 WAR since joining the As, including 3.7 this season.
And I will grant you that wed have been better off not trading for Samardzija and keeping Semien; hed be a good 3B for us right now.

Still, dont let being upset over that trade cloud your judgment of Zack Burdi; hes still very young and could end up being a top-notch closer or 8th inning guy.