White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Default *OFFICIAL* 2019 Minor League Thread

It’s a new year, a new spring training is coming, and with that new minor league seasons, an amateur draft, and international signings.

This is an outstanding article from FutureSox, based on an in-depth interview with Rick Hahn.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Here are some takeaways from the FutureSox interview with Rick Hahn:

Marco Paddy and his scouting operation in Latin America have continued to follow prospects, some as young as 13 and 14, despite the fact that the Sox have been in the “penalty box” (unable to sign any one player for more than 300K after going over the limit to sign Luis Robert), and are ready to be out of that “penalty box” later this year.

The Sox have discussed adding a seventh minor league affiliate; right now with their college-heavy drafts, they don’t see an immediate need, but this could change.

The Sox - like many organizations - have been making major improvements to housing and nutrition for minor league players.

The Sox continue to expand their use of advanced analytics to better inform and complement their scouting and player development efforts.

There have been discussions with other teams on prospect-for-prospect trades, but they aren’t worried yet about a glut at some positions or a dearth at others.

They continue to be most interested in acquiring middle-of-the-diamond position players (who can move to corner spots if necessary) and pitchers who project as front-line starters (who could move to the back of the rotation or the bullpen).

The entire interview with Hahn soon will be posted as a podcast.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Here is the link to the podcast of the FutureSox interview with Rick Hahn.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
WSI Regular

Thank you for summarising the FutureSox podcast Frater.

Those of us outside the USA can't get anything from the Tribune website at all so this was very helpful. I believe that FutureSox are in the process of looking for alternative hosting so hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past for me.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots-Sox View Post
Thank you for summarising the FutureSox podcast Frater.

Those of us outside the USA can't get anything from the Tribune website at all so this was very helpful. I believe that FutureSox are in the process of looking for alternative hosting so hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past for me.
I’m not sure if you have access to a smart phone, or what apps you have available, but the FutureSox podcast, the SoxMachine podcast, the WhiteSoxTalk podcast (NBCSN/Chuck Garfien), and the White Sox Weekly (WGN) podcasts are available for download/listening through numerous podcast apps. I listen to the FutureSox podcast (and the others) through Apple’s iPhone Podcsst app.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I’m not sure if you have access to a smart phone, or what apps you have available, but the FutureSox podcast, the SoxMachine podcast, the WhiteSoxTalk podcast (NBCSN/Chuck Garfien), and the White Sox Weekly (WGN) podcasts are available for download/listening through numerous podcast apps. I listen to the FutureSox podcast (and the others) through Apple’s iPhone Podcsst app.
+1 And the Tribune is garbage anyway, IMO.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This.

Plus a subscription to The Athletic- and you are golden- and will never, ever miss the Tribune.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 AM
WSI Prelate

MLBPipeline has begun introducing their 2019 prospect rankings. They began by listing the top 10 at each position. Today is RHP. The Sox have two: Kopech at #3 and Cease at #5. No other club has two among the top 10 RHP, other than Atlanta (6 and 9).
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 AM
WSI Prelate

MLBPipeline’s Top 10 LHP are up today. Of note are that 8 of these Top 10 are in the Oakland, San Diego, and Tampa Bay systems.

While RHP is an area of strength for the Sox, LHP comparatively is a weakness, as our best LHP are all in the back half of of organizational Top 30.

As such, if it gets to the point where we are making prospect for prospect deals (something Hahn told FutureSox had been discussed on several occasions but not in an immediate or concrete way), it’s fair to speculate that Oakland, San Diego, and Tampa Bay might be good trading partners, particularly if any of them have organizational weaknesses where we have depth (outfield, RHP), particularly after the 2019 draft.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

It was already mentioned that Vizquel will manage Birmingham next season, but this article has more info on minor league coaching moves. Included in the moves is Justin Jirschele moving up from Kannapolis manager to Winston-Salem manager.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/om...am/c-302752610
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Top 10 Catchers out today, Collins is on the outside looking in. Not a bad looking group for once...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
MLBPipeline’s Top 10 LHP are up today. Of note are that 8 of these Top 10 are in the Oakland, San Diego, and Tampa Bay systems.

While RHP is an area of strength for the Sox, LHP comparatively is a weakness, as our best LHP are all in the back half of of organizational Top 30.

As such, if it gets to the point where we are making prospect for prospect deals (something Hahn told FutureSox had been discussed on several occasions but not in an immediate or concrete way), it’s fair to speculate that Oakland, San Diego, and Tampa Bay might be good trading partners, particularly if any of them have organizational weaknesses where we have depth (outfield, RHP), particularly after the 2019 draft.
4 of the top 10 are in San Diego, so they'd seem to be best option. And it looks like they're light on OF prospects.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM
WSI Personality

Remaining positions are 2B, 3B, SS, and OF. I assume we'll see Madrigal on the 2B list and maybe 2 prospects on the OF list. I can't see anyone in the minors making the SS or 3B list.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
4 of the top 10 are in San Diego, so they'd seem to be best option. And it looks like they're light on OF prospects.
Agreed. I haven’t seen MLBPipeline’s updated team prospect ratings (I think they are due in February), but if the are still light on OF prospects, then there could be a good match between the Sox and Padres.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Agreed. I haven’t seen MLBPipeline’s updated team prospect ratings (I think they are due in February), but if the are still light on OF prospects, then there could be a good match between the Sox and Padres.
I was basing the assessment that they are light on OF prospects on last year's rankings. Their top OF prospect is #13 in their top 30.
Closed Thread