White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
One guy that Iím really curious to see that you didnít mention is Hansen. This time last year we were all debating who the future ace of the rotation would be between him and Kopech. Obviously 2018 sucked, but his season the year before was every bit as exciting as Cease was last year. We know heís got the talent and the stuff, hopefully with the injury problems behind him he can harness it and get back on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
For me it's just the uncertainty surrounding Hansen. Is he really past the forearm injury though? I would almost feel better if he needed TJS and we at least knew the problem was taken care of. I don't want another half season to go by and then he gets injured again.
I completely agree on Hansen and itís my error for failing to mention him. Iím not going to suggest that the rebuild hinges on him - we have multiple combinations to assemble a contending roster - but I will say that if he learns to command his pitches and comes close to his ceiling, he could be another workhorse/ace who makes our rotation flat-out dominant. In other words, if Hansen pans out, we have a lot more margin for error in the rotation and probably donít have to spend big free agent money there, which in turn provides payroll flexibility to add position player talent.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I completely agree on Hansen and itís my error for failing to mention him. Iím not going to suggest that the rebuild hinges on him - we have multiple combinations to assemble a contending roster - but I will say that if he learns to command his pitches and comes close to his ceiling, he could be another workhorse/ace who makes our rotation flat-out dominant. In other words, if Hansen pans out, we have a lot more margin for error in the rotation and probably donít have to spend big free agent money there, which in turn provides payroll flexibility to add position player talent.
Btw, I re-read my last post. I didn't mean it to come across that "it's curious that you didn't mention Hansen." I meant it that I was curious to see Hansen, and you happened to not mention him (I wasn't calling you out or anything). I just think he's been forgotten a little prematurely. Sure, a lot of people are down on him for good reason, but there's still hope that everything just got out of whack due to the injuries and if he puts it together, he's got as high a ceiling as anyone.

I agree with everything you said - if he does pan out it makes everything a lot easier.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Btw, I re-read my last post. I didn't mean it to come across that "it's curious that you didn't mention Hansen." I meant it that I was curious to see Hansen, and you happened to not mention him (I wasn't calling you out or anything). I just think he's been forgotten a little prematurely. Sure, a lot of people are down on him for good reason, but there's still hope that everything just got out of whack due to the injuries and if he puts it together, he's got as high a ceiling as anyone.

I agree with everything you said - if he does pan out it makes everything a lot easier.

No worries. I didn't take your post as criticism. It's my bad for forgetting him and I'm glad you reminded me of him.

A lot of things - mostly fluke injuries - went badly for the Sox last year; we're due to "progress to the mean" regarding prospect advancement this year, and Birmingham could win the Southern League by a mile if it does.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

I think a real turning point for the overall rebuild will be how well the minor league system recovers from all the injuries/regression in development from 2018. How this group is doing by July is a really big deal:

Dunning- recovery from elbow issue
Hansen- disastrous 2018 overall
Robert- hampered with various injuries
Burger- recovery from achilles tear
Burdi- recovery from TJ surgery
Adolfo- Back in the outfield after TJ surgery
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think a real turning point for the overall rebuild will be how well the minor league system recovers from all the injuries/regression in development from 2018. How this group is doing by July is a really big deal:

Dunning- recovery from elbow issue
Hansen- disastrous 2018 overall
Robert- hampered with various injuries
Burger- recovery from achilles tear
Burdi- recovery from TJ surgery
Adolfo- Back in the outfield after TJ surgery
I realize Kopech won't be throwing by July but throw him into that mix also.

I can understand why people are feeling antsy about the rebuild looking at this list. Add in Moncada and Anderson's offensive struggles and it's not hard to see why people are feeling a bit underwhelmed and emotionally conflicted about the way things are going.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Madrigal and Dunning made the just missed top 100 list from Law. I am not a Law fan, but he took the pessimistic but maybe realistic take on Madrigal - if he doesn't add some power, even hitting .320 won't make him insanely valuable or good.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Madrigal and Dunning made the just missed top 100 list from Law. I am not a Law fan, but he took the pessimistic but maybe realistic take on Madrigal - if he doesn't add some power, even hitting .320 won't make him insanely valuable or good.
Depends if he can add another 50 points of OBP (or more).
Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Depends if he can add another 50 points of OBP (or more).
I donít think Madrigal has to walk more or hit for much more power to be valuable.

First, letís be open minded on the possibility he could develop more game power. He was recovering last year from a wrist injury, while also transitioning to wood bats. Wood bats sting more than metal/composite bats, and that would be felt in the wrists. Also, a hitter needs to snap his wrists more in a swing when pulling the ball. Itís no wonder he wasnít hitting for power to his pull side while adjusting to wood bats while recovering from a wrist injury.

That aside, think of this scenario against LHP (even if we donít get Machado).

Anderson, who kills LHP, leads off and gets on base. But it could also be Robert in this role. Madrigal bats second. Anderson has wheels; Robert can fly. Madrigal makes contact and sprays the ball between first and second base or over the second basemanís head, which we know he can do even with a bum wrist. In that case either Anderson or Robert is going first to third, and you have runners at the corners, both with speed, with Eloy now at the plate. Will that opposing LHP keep the ball away from Eloy? If so, thereís a good chance TA/Robertís scoring on a passed ball/wild pitch. If not, Eloyís going to drill it off or over the fence.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I realize Kopech won't be throwing by July but throw him into that mix also.

I can understand why people are feeling antsy about the rebuild looking at this list. Add in Moncada and Anderson's offensive struggles and it's not hard to see why people are feeling a bit underwhelmed and emotionally conflicted about the way things are going.
Of the many injured players from '18, what are their respective timelines? For example, is Burger expected to be ready to go for ST? Anyone other than Kopech that is definitely out for '19?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Of the many injured players from '18, what are their respective timelines? For example, is Burger expected to be ready to go for ST? Anyone other than Kopech that is definitely out for '19?
I think Burger is out until 2020. He tore the same Achilles tendon a second time this past summer. That's a long timeline to full functionality even if it's just once. I imagine they will be extra careful with him given the nature of the injury.

Edit: Googling it gives a 6 month timeline to being ready to resume normal activity and 1+ years for full recovery so who knows. I'd expect him back sometime this year, but who knows how soon.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I think Burger is out until 2020. He tore the same Achilles tendon a second time this past summer. That's a long timeline to full functionality even if it's just once. I imagine they will be extra careful with him given the nature of the injury.

Edit: Googling it gives a 6 month timeline to being ready to resume normal activity and 1+ years for full recovery so who knows. I'd expect him back sometime this year, but who knows how soon.
I believe I saw something from Hahn a month or so ago where he said the plan is to get Burger back on the field around June 1.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I donít think Madrigal has to walk more or hit for much more power to be valuable.

First, letís be open minded on the possibility he could develop more game power. He was recovering last year from a wrist injury, while also transitioning to wood bats. Wood bats sting more than metal/composite bats, and that would be felt in the wrists. Also, a hitter needs to snap his wrists more in a swing when pulling the ball. Itís no wonder he wasnít hitting for power to his pull side while adjusting to wood bats while recovering from a wrist injury.

That aside, think of this scenario against LHP (even if we donít get Machado).

Anderson, who kills LHP, leads off and gets on base. But it could also be Robert in this role. Madrigal bats second. Anderson has wheels; Robert can fly. Madrigal makes contact and sprays the ball between first and second base or over the second basemanís head, which we know he can do even with a bum wrist. In that case either Anderson or Robert is going first to third, and you have runners at the corners, both with speed, with Eloy now at the plate. Will that opposing LHP keep the ball away from Eloy? If so, thereís a good chance TA/Robertís scoring on a passed ball/wild pitch. If not, Eloyís going to drill it off or over the fence.
What about the very possible, very disastrous scenario where Madrigal hits single after single, with minimal extra-base hits, and those singles are consistently and stupidly followed by sac bunt attempts to move him to 2B?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I believe I saw something from Hahn a month or so ago where he said the plan is to get Burger back on the field around June 1.
That's about a year. Makes sense.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What about the very possible, very disastrous scenario where Madrigal hits single after single, with minimal extra-base hits, and those singles are consistently and stupidly followed by sac bunt attempts to move him to 2B?
No: Madrigal steals second. RR then puts the bunt on to move him over to third.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-29-2019, 05:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
There are two parts to your scenario.

Iím fine if Madrigal keeps hitting lots of singles, particularly with fast runners on base ahead of him.

Iím not fine with sac bunts to move him to second base, but I doubt any manager would be having Eloy bunt in any circumstances.
Closed Thread