White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,770
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
JJ Bleday? I see a smooth left handed swing from that kid and was the top prospect in the Cape Cod League.
Hands are all over the place - looks funny to me. Anyway, corner OF, reach, pass.
  #47  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They had the franchise's worst record in 48 years and 2nd to worst in 70 years. I think they did their best.
One of the top 2 college hitters or one of the 2 SS. Of the 4, I like Vaughn the least.
If they must reach, avoid the Vandy hitter (funky swing - seen that show before and didn't like how it ended).
Question: since I think there's a very good chance that Vaughn and Abrams will still be on the board when the Sox turn comes up, would you be outraged if the Sox took Vaughn?

Many analysts seem to agree that he's a top 3 guy - so he'd be widely seen as the BPA if he's still available at #3. But, I'm on the fence about whether the Sox should take Abrams over Vaughn.

And yeah, if Rutschman somehow happened to fall to us at #3, then that should be a slam dunk pick. I suppose that's not totally impossible, but I'd be shocked if he was not picked at 1 or 2.
  #48  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Question: since I think there's a very good chance that Vaughn and Abrams will still be on the board when the Sox turn comes up, would you be outraged if the Sox took Vaughn?

Many analysts seem to agree that he's a top 3 guy - so he'd be widely seen as the BPA if he's still available at #3. But, I'm on the fence about whether the Sox should take Abrams over Vaughn.

And yeah, if Rutschman somehow happened to fall to us at #3, then that should be a slam dunk pick. I suppose that's not totally impossible, but I'd be shocked if he was not picked at 1 or 2.
A big **** no to Abrams, from me. He's a KW pick.

I dont care where Vaughn plays, I love his swing and discipline and approach. He looks like Goldie.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
  #49  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,770
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Question: since I think there's a very good chance that Vaughn and Abrams will still be on the board when the Sox turn comes up, would you be outraged if the Sox took Vaughn?
No, he's a top 4 guy; I just like him least of those 4. I hope not to see them reach beyond those 4 particularly on the college side.
Rodon, Fulmer, Burdi, Burger, Madrigal, Collins: wouldn't mind a little change of pace from the college guy.

Last edited by Tragg; 05-12-2019 at 05:39 PM.
  #50  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
No, he's a top 4 guy; I just like him least of those 4. I hope not to see them reach beyond those 4 particularly on the college side.
Rodon, Fulmer, Burdi, Burger, Madrigal, Collins: wouldn't mind a little change of pace from the college guy.
I just want them to take the BPA - whether he's a college or HS player. If Rutschman and Witt are gone, then that's most likely Vaughn. If Rutschman and Vaughn are gone, then most likely Witt, Jr.

I don't have a problem with the Madrigal pick. Yeah, there are question marks about his power and he's off to a slow start this year (very early going, of course), but I wouldn't call his pick a reach.
  #51  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,770
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I just want them to take the BPA - whether he's a college or HS player. If Rutschman and Witt are gone, then that's most likely Vaughn. If Rutschman and Vaughn are gone, then most likely Witt, Jr.

I don't have a problem with the Madrigal pick. Yeah, there are question marks about his power and he's off to a slow start this year (very early going, of course), but I wouldn't call his pick a reach.
Madrigal wasn't a reach, but the concerns some had about him seem to be flaring up. As I recall my main concern at this time last year was just not drafting that college pitcher. Rodon and Collins weren't reaches either. But the overall results...
I just wouldn't go beyond Rutschman or Vaughn in the college hitting department (and Vaughn is not my preference).
  #52  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 5,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
A big **** no to Abrams, from me. He's a KW pick.

I dont care where Vaughn plays, I love his swing and discipline and approach. He looks like Goldie.
He can only play one spot: 1B. He'll stay away from DH w/Eloy there.
He's Goldie alright: w/o the physical build and defensive ability.
__________________
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
  #53  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,617
Default

If 1-2 goes as expected, you take Vaughn and don't think twice. There are far worse things than a potential 40 homer .950 OPS 1b. He has one of the purest swings I have ever seen coming out of college, and while he is only 5'11, his legs are just tree trunks, this kid is going to be a monster. I would have taken him over Madrigal in a nano second last year.
__________________
  #54  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
He can only play one spot: 1B. He'll stay away from DH w/Eloy there.
He's Goldie alright: w/o the physical build and defensive ability.
Well, all good players only play one position. I could care less about the athletic potential of a kid projecting him capable of playing a couple key positions when odds are very much in favor of failure.

I get 1B being the easiest position to fill with hitters who canít field elsewhere, but filling all nine slots with the highest impact possible is the goal. You need a 1B who can mash and Abreu isnít getting any younger. Maybe Sheets or Burger can do it, but neither has ever been of the caliber that Vaughn is with the bat right now.

I didnít realize hitters were measured by the Ty Webb standard.
  #55  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Well, all good players only play one position. I could care less about the athletic potential of a kid projecting him capable of playing a couple key positions when odds are very much in favor of failure.

I get 1B being the easiest position to fill with hitters who can’t field elsewhere, but filling all nine slots with the highest impact possible is the goal. You need a 1B who can mash and Abreu isn’t getting any younger. Maybe Sheets or Burger can do it, but neither has ever been of the caliber that Vaughn is with the bat right now.

I didn’t realize hitters were measured by the Ty Webb standard.
The bonus is, if there is one position you trade offense for defense, its first base. No one seems to care that Abreu isn't really a great defensive 1b. And no one is trading a big offensive 1b bat for Justin Smoak's glove.

And on top of that

If in 3 years you KNOW you can pencil in some combo like Madrigal Moncada Vaughn Eloy Robert Moncada Anderson (Maybe Collins?, Maybe Rutherford or Gonzalez etc)... pardon my french but... **** YES
  #56  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,770
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
A big **** no to Abrams, from me. He's a KW pick.
Williams isn't a bad talent evaluator. Some of his drafts were bad because he was reaching, drafting for position, drafting on-the-cheap etc. Plus, it's not like Williams is the only person who likes Abrams that high.

High school busts can bust in A ball and, as such, look particularly ugly; college busts can usually handle A ball but bust in AA or AAA. Our college drafts aren't as ugly, but so far, they haven't been any more lucrative.
  #57  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:29 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Williams isn't a bad talent evaluator. Some of his drafts were bad because he was reaching, drafting for position, drafting on-the-cheap etc. Plus, it's not like Williams is the only person who likes Abrams that high.

High school busts can bust in A ball and, as such, look particularly ugly; college busts can usually handle A ball but bust in AA or AAA. Our college drafts aren't as ugly, but so far, they haven't been any more lucrative.
I don't want to go too far off track about the discussion about players available in this upcoming draft, but my bigger concern with the Sox is player development skills more than their ability to evaluate talent of players they're drafting.

Drafting cheaply was certainly a main problem under the old CBA, not really an issue under the current CBA. Drafting based on who had the fastest track to the majors (as opposed to BPA) was another glaring problem which I hope they've abandoned.

But, that being said, I don't expect the Sox to pick anyone other than those top 4 guys. So, I'm not going to fret about other options too much. As far as HS picks go, it doesn't have to be the first round pick if Rutschman or Vaughn are available. But, it'll be interesting to see if they go for more HS guys in subsequent rounds.
  #58  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Hands are all over the place - looks funny to me. Anyway, corner OF, reach, pass.
The only criticism I've seen is about his head movement. Are you talking about his hands dropping?
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #59  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Williams isn't a bad talent evaluator. Some of his drafts were bad because he was reaching, drafting for position, drafting on-the-cheap etc. Plus, it's not like Williams is the only person who likes Abrams that high.
I agree that he was hamstrung by $$$ for most years, but IMO Kenny was too stubborn in the kind of players he was looking for, especially with position players. Too many reaches, too many projects for my liking.
  #60  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
A big **** no to Abrams, from me. He's a KW pick.
So was Chris Sale.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.