Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2019, 12:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Just got home (stayed for the fireworks). I've seen games that were pitched worse, and games that were more fun, but not many with this combo.

When Timmy came up to bat in the ninth about half the crowd that was left got on their feet and started yelling. So we shall be taking the credit. Why Jimenez threw that pitch I don't know, but Anderson did not miss it.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed on Eloy's injury.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah Tim tags and makes second easy if that ball gets caught. It's on Abreu not to pass him.
I think it was just a combination of coincidences that led to a pretty unique disaster.

1. Abreu hit a go-ahead home run, his 2nd home run of the night, in a game that the team had been losing by 7 runs. He lost his focus as a result. Total brain fart on his part.

2. Anderson probably is the only runner on the team who ever would have a need to be so close to the 1B bag on that play. He has a legitimate chance to take 2B if the ball is caught. Any other runners probably go as far toward 2B as possible while still being able to get back to 1B if the ball is caught. They would not be in a position to be passed up by a guy rounding 1B on a slow jog. Plus, Anderson had to track the ball in flight; he never saw where Abreu was.

3. This is tied in with #2. With any other baserunner on 1B, Boston probably checks in on Abreu while Abreu is jogging to 1B. He, like Anderson, had to track the ball in flight for the possible tag-up play.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Would anyone ever have guessed that Joe Jimenez would be the first Jimenez to provide the White Sox with a walk-off win this year?
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
You just knew he was going to be full-throttle at the plate after making that amazing play in the top of the inning.
Lost in all the.drama was that amazing play in the hole to rob Castellanos . Tigers have a huge 9th inning if Timmy doesn't get that.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Lost in all the.drama was that amazing play in the hole to rob Castellanos . Tigers have a huge 9th inning if Timmy doesn't get that.
Yep...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 AM
WSI High Priest

A frozen banana dance after tonight's game, perhaps?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM
WSI Regular

Default Wild Game

Tim Anderson will own Chicago on and off the field if he keeps it up.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:24 AM
WSI High Priest

My $0.02-

On the Abreu homer that got screwed up- I think Boston has to play a much more active/vocal role to help avoid that happening- I'm a little biased, I think he's a clown, and I don't see what value he brings to have such a long tenure on this coaching staff.

Rondon now hitting .290+ with an OPS 200 points higher than Yolmer- I'd like to see him get the starting job for a month and see how he does- he's earned the shot- and Yolmer has now been mediocre for almost a full year- his last decent month was MAY of last season.

Fulmer's outing wasn't great- but I see signs of him developing into a decent bullpen arm (6th/7th inning guy)- he'll take his lumps this season- but I think he's got a shot.

The Sox take alot of hits for their player development abilities- but they've done a nice job with Anderson (extremely raw when drafted) and Moncada (strike out machine with Boston and in his first 2 seasons with Sox).
Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The Sox take alot of hits for their player development abilities- but they've done a nice job with Anderson (extremely raw when drafted) and Moncada (strike out machine with Boston and in his first 2 seasons with Sox).

Will Todd Steverson ever get any credit?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM
WSI Prelate

For all the talk about who should be managing this club when it gets good again, I would like the team to give serious consideration to Joe McEwing. I think he is the guy most responsible for this Tim Anderson breakout. The likelihood of getting a proven major league manager from outside the organization is remote, as is the likelihood that any new hire would have the ability to pick his own assistants. That likely leaves us with another “Sox family” or “Sox lifer” hire. Is McEwing enough of a “Sox lifer” to qualify?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 AM
WSI Prelate

I hope none of you lot were too offended by TA's bat toss given how hurt you were last time.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:07 AM
WSI Personality

What an insane game! Tim is quickly becoming the face of the future for this franchise and I love it. I was not expecting this from him.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think it was just a combination of coincidences that led to a pretty unique disaster.

1. Abreu hit a go-ahead home run, his 2nd home run of the night, in a game that the team had been losing by 7 runs. He lost his focus as a result. Total brain fart on his part.

2. Anderson probably is the only runner on the team who ever would have a need to be so close to the 1B bag on that play. He has a legitimate chance to take 2B if the ball is caught. Any other runners probably go as far toward 2B as possible while still being able to get back to 1B if the ball is caught. They would not be in a position to be passed up by a guy rounding 1B on a slow jog. Plus, Anderson had to track the ball in flight; he never saw where Abreu was.

3. This is tied in with #2. With any other baserunner on 1B, Boston probably checks in on Abreu while Abreu is jogging to 1B. He, like Anderson, had to track the ball in flight for the possible tag-up play.
Yep perfect storm compounded by the excitement of having come back from an 8-1 deficit. Key players including Boston lost focus for a moment. Obviously since they won, it's not a big deal in the big picture and it's definitely a learning moment for everyone involved.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

What a fun win.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think Boston has to play a much more active/vocal role to help avoid that happening- I'm a little biased, I think he's a clown, and I don't see what value he brings to have such a long tenure on this coaching staff.
He's just one in a long list of lifers. Is he still blowing the whistle?
Quote:

Fulmer's outing wasn't great- but I see signs of him developing into a decent bullpen arm (6th/7th inning guy)- he'll take his lumps this season- but I think he's got a shot.
I went back and watched Fulmer's on mlb. Threw 3 pitches: 4 seam FB, cutter and curve. FB was 94. Anything he got up in the zone was easily hittable. When he kept it at the knees or below he did well; and he had an ump who called the low strike. What has surprised me is that he really doesn't have great "stuff" - I kind of thought he did. Don't see him as a late inning guy topping out at 94 and hittable. Long reliever or #4-#5 starter if he can command those pitches consistently low in the zone.
He's also a slooooooooowwwww worker. Get MB in here to speed him up.

Last edited by Tragg; 04-27-2019 at 10:03 AM.