White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Bad Abe is back in action for game 2. They’ve got him hitting 3rd and Gonzalez has been dropped to 7th.
I had to look up the Birmingham lineup to figure out who “Bad Abe” was. Damn autocorrect
Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I had to look up the Birmingham lineup to figure out who “Bad Abe” was. Damn autocorrect
One autocorrect I hope happens a lot. Sounds like a 1950s boxer or the guy no one dares bother as he reads the newspaper at the corner seat at the bar.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Madrigal with 4 SBs in as many games and Hansen with a clean frame for the save.

Seems like the only thing that can stop Madrigal right now is the crappy Birmingham weather.

The speed on the Sox team in the near future is going to be unlike anything I've seen in 40+ years of fandom. Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Robert, and maybe Rutherford/Basabe will put a lot of pressure on opposing teams.
Won't matter if Renteria is still the manager because he will bunt them over to 2nd instead of letting them steal!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
It got me bad on that one... I didn't even notice until I logged in. Well corrected in my first post.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-11-2019, 07:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I have been hard on Rutherford, I don't see the power coming enough to be better than a Ryan Sweeney type player. That said, everyone does need to calm down on his start. It is no secret AA is the MOST TALENTED level of baseball in the minors. For pitchers you have a TON of future rotation parts in AA, where as AAA is a lot of 4A filler.

Rutherford probably was always going to take a half year to just adjust, and now we find out what kind of mental toughness the kid has.
One reason for that may be that he's young for that level. I believe the only player on the Barons younger than Rutherford is that freak of nature Luis Robert. For the month of June (his last 11 games), Rutherford is hitting .410. So maybe he is starting to adjust to the higher level of competition.

I don't know if he'll eventually develop power, but at age 22 (only just turned 22 last month), there's still time for that to happen.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:35 PM

In the second game at Birmingham the won 4-1

Robert 2/4 1 RBI
Madrigal 1/3 BB
Basabe 1/4 2B 1 RBI
Rutherford 1/3 R BB
Gonzalez 1/2 BB

Kubat 6IP 5 H 1 R 0 ER 1 BB 2 K

First game For WS at A+ Dash won 9-3

Walker 2/4 2B 2 R 2 RBI
Muno 1/3 BB R RBI
Perez 1/3 HR 2 RBI (22 YO catcher)
Cavanerio was SP got the W 6 IP 5 H 3 ER 2 BB 3K

Second game is under way Dash lead 2-0

Muno 3B
Walker 1/1 RBI
Jake Elliot is pitching
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Second WS game now over they won 7-3

Walker 2/3 2 RBI
Muno 2/2 3B 2 BB
Skoug 1/2 HR BB
Roman remains hot since getting demoted when Madrigal was called up. 3/4 2 2B His OPS is 1.485. Of course he was killing it last year before getting pushed to AA where he fell flat on his face and posted a .500 OPS over 70 games last year and this.

Cody Heuer got the win with 2.0 IP in relief. 1 ER 1 H 3 K

Charlotte got spanked 15-8

Collins 1/2 2B 2 BB R RBI
Engel has been hot and his OPS is over .800 but he's also got a .500 SLG so it probably won't translate.
Mendick is heating up again 3/4 2 R RBI

Nicolino and Frare were the ones who gave up all the runs.

Nicolino went 4.1 11 H 4 BB 9 R 7 ER
Frare wet 0.2 3 H 2 BB 1 HBP 6 ER 2 HR - bright side the guy he drilled was Tebow.

Matt Foster pitched well 1.2 1 BB 2 K 0 R
Jimmy Cordero also pitched well 1.1 1 H 1 BB 2 K 0 R

They'd actually fought back from being down 5-0 and 9-3 to end the 6th only losing 9-8. Then Frare started the 7th.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
In the second game at Birmingham the won 4-1

Robert 2/4 1 RBI
Madrigal 1/3 BB
Basabe 1/4 2B 1 RBI
Rutherford 1/3 R BB
Gonzalez 1/2 BB

Kubat 6IP 5 H 1 R 0 ER 1 BB 2 K

First game For WS at A+ Dash won 9-3

Walker 2/4 2B 2 R 2 RBI
Muno 1/3 BB R RBI
Perez 1/3 HR 2 RBI (22 YO catcher)
Cavanerio was SP got the W 6 IP 5 H 3 ER 2 BB 3K

Second game is under way Dash lead 2-0

Muno 3B
Walker 1/1 RBI
Jake Elliot is pitching
Only 1 hit for Madrigal? #Slump.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Random $0.02-

Madrigal with a 1.337 OPS and 4 SBs in his 1st 5 games- exciting to see
Gavin Sheets- Last 10- .333-2-12, 4 BBs, 5 Ks, YTD splits pretty even between LH and RH pitching- I think he's really coming on.
Rutherford- hitting .400 last 10, but YTD hitting .116 vs. LHP- promising trend- but that split is a concern
Khubat- I realize he's 26 yo, and from what I understand a "crafty" LH, so maybe a long shot- but based on his actual results- i wonder if he should get a shot vs. the AAAA/retreads that are in the rotation at Charlotte or the bigs?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
WSI Personality

Still holding out hope Madrigal develops good gap power and also learns to take more walks. If he gets to the MLB level and can't maintain a better average, he won't have much value as a hitter. Time will tell!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Random $0.02-

Gavin Sheets- Last 10- .333-2-12, 4 BBs, 5 Ks, YTD splits pretty even between LH and RH pitching- I think he's really coming on.
Rutherford- hitting .400 last 10, but YTD hitting .116 vs. LHP- promising trend- but that split is a concern
Khubat- I realize he's 26 yo, and from what I understand a "crafty" LH, so maybe a long shot- but based on his actual results- i wonder if he should get a shot vs. the AAAA/retreads that are in the rotation at Charlotte or the bigs?
For Rutherford, that split is actually encouraging to me because it points to something specific he needs to work on. It would be more concerning to me if he was lost against everyone, which is what his sub-.200 average was suggesting earlier in the year. He’s young, he’s got plenty of time to figure out how to hit LHP.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Still holding out hope Madrigal develops good gap power and also learns to take more walks. If he gets to the MLB level and can't maintain a better average, he won't have much value as a hitter. Time will tell!
Yeah, his .579 average at Birmingham is just plain crappy.

If you're talking about his average at Winston-Salem ... He's in his first year of professional ball and there's a period of adjustment. The Sox saw enough progress to promote him and he's rewarding that confidence by making the necessary adjustments and improving as he moved to AA. He's been a real sparkplug there.

I expect Madrigal to hit for a very good average (I don't expect a lot of power but singles and doubles), have a bunch of stolen bases, and play Golden Glove caliber 2B. If he does that, he's a very important part of the team.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post

If you're talking about his average at Winston-Salem ... He's in his first year of professional ball and there's a period of adjustment. The Sox saw enough progress to promote him and he's rewarding that confidence by making the necessary adjustments and improving as he moved to AA. He's been a real sparkplug there.

I expect Madrigal to hit for a very good average (I don't expect a lot of power but singles and doubles), have a bunch of stolen bases, and play Golden Glove caliber 2B. If he does that, he's a very important part of the team.
It says a lot about the Sox player development ability that they recognized that Madrigal was ready for AA despite mediocre on-field results, and he's rewarded them for that confidence.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Random $0.02-

Good summary. For Rutherford's LHP split, I wonder what his average is over the last 10 or 12 games since his bat started coming around? I believe .116 is for the entire season, including that ice cold start he had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post

I read somewhere earlier today (I think on Sox Machine) that Madrigal is hitting .360 over his last 24 games. This includes games at W-S before his promotion to AA.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM

I know this is going to come as a huge surprise to people, but WS has been postponed...
Closed Thread