White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Tyler Skaggs was just a year younger than my oldest nephew.

Peace and prayers to his family and friends.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM
WSI Regular

I got to meet and chat with Tyler recently at a family wedding. Seemed like a really nice guy, Truly a tragic loss of life.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:20 AM
WSI Prelate

On a night when the Angels played in LA for the first time since his passing, everyone wearing his jersey, the Angels throw a no hitter. Incredible
Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
On a night when the Angels played in LA for the first time since his passing, everyone wearing his jersey, the Angels throw a no hitter. Incredible

How can you not be romantic about baseball?
No one's ever gonna take my life from me
I lay it down
A ghost is born

WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
2012 WSI Tourney Pick'em Champion

https://www.facebook.com/ModernHistoryMusic
(my band)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:31 AM
WSI Personality

The last time a combined no hitter was thrown in the state of CA was July 13, 1991. The same day Skaggs was born: https://twitter.com/statsbystats/sta...752173568?s=21

Also his mom threw out a terrific first pitch. I guess she's a former pro softball player.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Wow to throw a no hitter and the the whole team wearing his number 45 and the previous one done on his original Birthday is like Angels In the Outfield type of stuff. :*(
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BF3BBB60-D7D3-41B8-9DCE-CEE18AAAF2DD.jpeg (67.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
The last time a combined no hitter was thrown in the state of CA was July 13, 1991. The same day Skaggs was born: https://twitter.com/statsbystats/sta...752173568?s=21

Also his mom threw out a terrific first pitch. I guess she's a former pro softball player.
Incredible.

Thanks for being an awesome ambassador Minnie!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Autopsy out, overdosed on a mix of alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone and choked on his vomit.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxjtrain View Post
Autopsy out, overdosed on a mix of alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone and choked on his vomit.
I've always wondered why the autopsy or post-mortem results of a private citizen are released to the public. Maybe if the autopsy is done by a county medical examiner it becomes a public record? Seems like it's no one's business but the family's.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 08-30-2019, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I've always wondered why the autopsy or post-mortem results of a private citizen are released to the public. Maybe if the autopsy is done by a county medical examiner it becomes a public record? Seems like it's no one's business but the family's.

It was part of a police investigation, which isn't and shouldn't be private.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It was part of a police investigation, which isn't and shouldn't be private.
Once it's determined that the manner of death was something other than a homicide (as it was in the Skaggs case), the cause of death seems to me to be irrelevant and a private matter. I think the family's privacy interest outweigh's TMZ's interest in voyeurism.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Once it's determined that the manner of death was something other than a homicide (as it was in the Skaggs case), the cause of death seems to me to be irrelevant and a private matter. I think the family's privacy interest outweigh's TMZ's interest in voyeurism.

You are making a news judgment with which many would disagree. I see public interest in determining how a professional athlete died while traveling with his team. Celebrities and professional athletes are more public figure than private citizen. Curiosity over how a young, apparently healthy baseball player can be found dead in the middle of the season in his hotel room isn't simple voyeurism, whether his name might be Skaggs or Trout.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
You are making a news judgment with which many would disagree. I see public interest in determining how a professional athlete died while traveling with his team. Celebrities and professional athletes are more public figure than private citizen. Curiosity over how a young, apparently healthy baseball player can be found dead in the middle of the season in his hotel room isn't simple voyeurism, whether his name might be Skaggs or Trout.
I agree and certainly it's a cautionary tale if nothing else. Even the youngest, brightest stars/athletes are not immune to addiction. It's a warning for every young player who thinks because they are fast tracking it to the pros to still be careful about the way they live their lives. This also is relevant for a discussion of the opioid addition crisis which can strike anyone anywhere regardless of their societal status.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-31-2019, 01:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've seen situations where the families kept the cause of sudden death of a young person quiet and all it did was feed the rumor mill, causing more pain.

Skaggs' family has hired a lawyer to represent their interests in the ongoing investigation into who may have been the supplier, so COD was coming out in any event.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You are making a news judgment with which many would disagree. I see public interest in determining how a professional athlete died while traveling with his team.
Public interest? That's your argument for releasing the details about a person death? Maybe the public should pick up a book (preferably not of the comic variety).
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004