White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
There are a record number of homers being hit this year and I don't think there has been an increase in fan-interest.
Fans need something to grab their attention. An individual player going for a record does that. Every team in the majors pounding out dozens more home runs than they did a few years ago doesn't. There's nothing for the media to hype when it's like this. Fans need a good story to be engaged. "baseballs flying out of baseball parks at record rates for 3rd straight season" doesn't cut it. Back when it was Sosa/McGwire/Bonds there was a story to follow. Now it's just "the state of baseball" and that's not hypeworthy enough for the fans and media.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember the last time that everybody thought the ball was juiced, and it wasn't the ball causing the home runs......

This is a very easy thing to get to the bottom of, dozens of balls fly into the stands every night
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 PM
WSI Personality

I'm sort of myopic when it comes to baseball. I love the game but I'm pretty much solely focused on the White Sox and don't study the stats and box scores of other teams like I did in my youth. I mention this because I wasn't fully aware of the gaudy HR numbers posted in the first half of this season. At present, there are at least a dozen players that are on pace for 50+ homers. Now I think back to when George Foster hit 52 in 1977 and it seemed like a big deal since it'd been a dozen years since a player eclipsed 50. 13 more years went by before Cecil Fielder clubbed 51.

My only issue with the juiced balls is that it cheapens HRs a bit.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM
WSI Personality

I may be slow to the party on this one, but I was surprised to read that MLB actually bought Rawlings, the company that makes all the pro balls, last summer. So now they have complete control over how the balls are made, testing, etc. Makes me call BS on Manfred a bit when he says they don't really understand the cause of the increase and don't have anything to do with it.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I'm sort of myopic when it comes to baseball. I love the game but I'm pretty much solely focused on the White Sox and don't study the stats and box scores of other teams like I did in my youth. I mention this because I wasn't fully aware of the gaudy HR numbers posted in the first half of this season. At present, there are at least a dozen players that are on pace for 50+ homers. Now I think back to when George Foster hit 52 in 1977 and it seemed like a big deal since it'd been a dozen years since a player eclipsed 50. 13 more years went by before Cecil Fielder clubbed 51.

Totally agree. I see 3 NL players have at 30 HRs at the break, part of me can't take those stats seriously.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice16 View Post
Totally agree. I see 3 NL players have at 30 HRs at the break, part of me can't take those stats seriously.
Exactly. Someone (I forget who) said it would be akin to the NBA enlarging the hoop on the basket without telling anyone to increase the % of made 3-pointers.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Seven homers through four and a half innings in Philadelphia tonight. This is getting comical.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I mention this because I wasn't fully aware of the gaudy HR numbers posted in the first half of this season.
Quote:

It, along with the decline in fundamentals, cheapens the game quite a bit.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Interesting tidbit in Jayson Stark's column in the Athletic today.

He was talking about the insane homerun numbers in the PCL, only 3 pitchers in the PCL who have a minimum of 130IP have an era under 5, and he quoted a team executive who said it's gotten so bad that they are avoiding sending their top guys to triple A because they're worried about it damaging their development.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Interesting tidbit in Jayson Stark's column in the Athletic today.

He was talking about the insane homerun numbers in the PCL, only 3 pitchers in the PCL who have a minimum of 130IP have an era under 5, and he quoted a team executive who said it's gotten so bad that they are avoiding sending their top guys to triple A because they're worried about it damaging their development.
What I don't understand - isn't this the same ball that's being used in MLB? So why is the situation so bad at AAA, when the pitchers are facing worse hitters there?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:19 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
What I don't understand - isn't this the same ball that's being used in MLB? So why is the situation so bad at AAA, when the pitchers are facing worse hitters there?

Because hitters are facing worse pitchers there. Look at all the players in the Sox organization over the years that have absolutely raked in AAA and came down to earth hard in MLB.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Because hitters are facing worse pitchers there. Look at all the players in the Sox organization over the years that have absolutely raked in AAA and came down to earth hard in MLB.
Yes, of course the hitters are facing worse pitchers down there on average. But there have to be some good pitching prospects in the PCL, right? The fact that there are only 3 guys in the entire league with an ERA under 5 says that they are the only 3 that have a chance at succeeding at the major league level, considering it's only going to get harder when they start facing big leaguers.

Edit: yes, I realize AAA pitching prospects are not necessarily finished projects, but by the time they reach that level they typically are pretty close to ready.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In past seasons, minor league baseball used a different ball. It's size and weight was the same, but the writing on it said it was a minor league baseball. I don't know if there was any internal difference in the way it was wound, and I don't know what ball is being used in the minors this year.

MLB officials have long known how to get more distance from baseballs. In 1970, before the American League adopted the DH to boost the AL's sagging attendance, there were spring training games played with a ball designated X-15. This isn't an urban legend. If you have access to The Sporting News from the day, you could find print stories about it. One night in Tucson almost two decades ago, I talked to Jim Fregosi about a game he played where the ball was used. The increased offense was considered ridiculous, and Jim Fregosi was the sort of storyteller that made it hilarious.

It is certainly possible that baseball, after taking a hit by looking the other way when steroids were being by many, may have determined that it could get similar but clean results from juicing the baseball. It isn't McGuire and Sosa battling to break the Maris record or even Brady Anderson capturing the imagination, as it were, by hitting 50 home runs. It's the 2019 Minnesota Twins not only outslugging the great Harmon Killebrew but outslugging the 1927 Yankees

And there is the ripple effect of increasing strikeouts because the reward for making power contact is so much higher with an allegedly juiced ball.

Early during the Sosa run, someone asked Steve Stone when Sosa would pass Ernie Banks on the Cubs all-time home run list. Stone flatly said Sosa would never pass Ernie Banks. Stone was right, thought, in the respect- and reverence-due department. Imagine how many home runs Frank Thomas would be hitting in today's game.

Of course juiced balls cheapen home runs. They cheapen the game.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
In past seasons, minor league baseball used a different ball. It's size and weight was the same, but the writing on it said it was a minor league baseball. I don't know if there was any internal difference in the way it was wound, and I don't know what ball is being used in the minors this year.

MLB officials have long known how to get more distance from baseballs. In 1970, before the American League adopted the DH to boost the AL's sagging attendance, there were spring training games played with a ball designated X-15. This isn't an urban legend. If you have access to The Sporting News from the day, you could find print stories about it. One night in Tucson almost two decades ago, I talked to Jim Fregosi about a game he played where the ball was used. The increased offense was considered ridiculous, and Jim Fregosi was the sort of storyteller that made it hilarious.

It is certainly possible that baseball, after taking a hit by looking the other way when steroids were being by many, may have determined that it could get similar but clean results from juicing the baseball. It isn't McGuire and Sosa battling to break the Maris record or even Brady Anderson capturing the imagination, as it were, by hitting 50 home runs. It's the 2019 Minnesota Twins not only outslugging the great Harmon Killebrew but outslugging the 1927 Yankees

And there is the ripple effect of increasing strikeouts because the reward for making power contact is so much higher with an allegedly juiced ball.

Early during the Sosa run, someone asked Steve Stone when Sosa would pass Ernie Banks on the Cubs all-time home run list. Stone flatly said Sosa would never pass Ernie Banks. Stone was right, thought, in the respect- and reverence-due department. Imagine how many home runs Frank Thomas would be hitting in today's game.

Of course juiced balls cheapen home runs. They cheapen the game.
We know the MLB ball is juiced. MLB has even admitted as much. See here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

But you would still think there would be more than 3 pitchers with an ERA under 5 in the PCL. Unless the ball they're using there is even MORE juiced than the MLB version? It's supposedly the same.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
We know the MLB ball is juiced. MLB has even admitted as much. See here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

But you would still think there would be more than 3 pitchers with an ERA under 5 in the PCL. Unless the ball they're using there is even MORE juiced than the MLB version? It's supposedly the same.
Typically minor league stadiums are smaller than MLB stadiums so it's a lot easier to drive one out. Balls that would be a double at GRate field are probably clearing the wall in most of these ball parks.

Also as teams emphasize launch angle and exit velocity and all the other nasty buzz words they are surely moving these theories to minor league systems. That means the hitters are trying to hit home runs and as mentioned the pitching is obviously much worse at AAA than in the majors so a lot more players are jacking up their numbers at the expense of the marginal pitchers at AAA.

I'm surprised teams would bypass AAA though with their pitching prospects. Seems like the good ones will still have success.