White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,769
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Other than Mendick, they are bringing up guys who've proven that they have no future.
Hard to understand Mercedes not being up. He's 27. He could get a lot of major league at bats, even if he doesn't catch much.

Palka? Goins and Castillo not released? Good lord.

Last edited by Tragg; 09-03-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-03-2019, 10:30 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,473
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
That sure is ugly. He has gone 6 innings only three times and has only 1 quality start. He has been shelled early and often.

They need to aim a lot higher.
I was referring to the games before he went on the IL not great but 5th starter material and his outings had been getting longer ne’er as he progressed.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
By going 0-4 with 2 strikeouts tonight, Palka managed to lower his average to .020. By the end of the season he may not even be hitting his shoe size.
Just cut his ass and bring up Mercedes.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 PM
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California
Posts: 2,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
By going 0-4 with 2 strikeouts tonight, Palka managed to lower his average to .020. By the end of the season he may not even be hitting his shoe size.
I hope after this year we have seen the last of Covey and Palka! When they announced the call ups it was pure disappointment! Looking forward to next year providing they go out and add two quality starters.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Kilroy Kilroy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
...Covey is a LOT younger and pitched better this spring when he first got called up. He lost it when he returned from injury but has pitched solidly at AAA since being sent down. Why not see if he can recapture his form from May and build on it for next year. If he can then he offers at minimum long relief or trade bait enhancement.

There's a lot more room for callups aren't there? Are Robert and Madrigal on the 40-man roster? Why would team start their clocks ticking now?
Sorry, but how many chances do you give Covey? At some point you have to realize that it's not happening. Let him post good AAA numbers and then find someone who likes him. He has repeatedly shown he can't cut it. Repeatedly this year, and repeatedly last year. Definition of insanity?

And you start their clocks running because the idea is to get all of these good prospects to find their ML groove at the same time. They are not only extending service time, they are slowing development. What year are they aiming for now?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Other than Mendick, they are bringing up guys who've proven that they have no future.
Hard to understand Mercedes not being up. He's 27. He could get a lot of major league at bats, even if he doesn't catch much.

Palka? Goins and Castillo not released? Good lord.
Zack Collins has proven he has no future?

I'd be fine with them releasing Castillo. He's totally useless, but that's not the Sox way of doing things.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 09-04-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Sorry, but how many chances do you give Covey? At some point you have to realize that it's not happening. Let him post good AAA numbers and then find someone who likes him. He has repeatedly shown he can't cut it. Repeatedly this year, and repeatedly last year. Definition of insanity?

And you start their clocks running because the idea is to get all of these good prospects to find their ML groove at the same time. They are not only extending service time, they are slowing development. What year are they aiming for now?
I guess you give Covey and Fulmer until the end of 2019 because you're already stuck with them, but they need to be gone from the 40-man before the Rule 5 draft.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I guess you give Covey and Fulmer until the end of 2019 because you're already stuck with them, but they need to be gone from the 40-man before the Rule 5 draft.
I don't think they're ready to give up on Fulmer so quickly. Covey might be done though.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
First half this year he posted a 4.58 ERA with 34 K in 37.1 IP and a .238 BAA over 9 appearances and 7 starts.

Edit: Here's his game log: http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamel...09/dylan-covey
Good link. Bears out what I posted about 2018. Under 3 ERA on 6/23. Then, doom city.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think they're ready to give up on Fulmer so quickly. Covey might be done though.
Reluctance to move on from failure and do something different is one of the biggest reasons the rebuild might still fail.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,473
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Reluctance to move on from failure and do something different is one of the biggest reasons the rebuild might still fail.
That's crap. This team needs to be taking long looks at marginal prospects right now. It doesn't mean they will be on the team in two years, but for now it costs them nothing to look at Covey and Fulmer and Palka to name a few.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Good link. Bears out what I posted about 2018. Under 3 ERA on 6/23. Then, doom city.
2017 (age 26): 7.71 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, -1.4 WAR. One quality start out of 12 (on 9/23).

2018 (age 27): 5.18 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, -0.2 WAR. Six quality starts out of 21.

2019 (age 28): 6.88 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, -0.5 WAR. One quality start out of 10 (5/31).

Overall, he's made 43 starts, with only eight meeting the QS definition. I didn't summarize the bullpen use because that run of starts in early 2018 is the only evidence of competence I can remember.

His career WHIP is 1.57, and given the sample size (and his age) it's not likely to improve. More likely, his age-27 season was his career year, and he was still below replacement value.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's crap. This team needs to be taking long looks at marginal prospects right now. It doesn't mean they will be on the team in two years, but for now it costs them nothing to look at Covey and Fulmer and Palka to name a few.
As I just posted, they've given him three years and he's proven to suck. He's no longer even a marginal prospect. Giving him a longer look is malpractice.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's crap. This team needs to be taking long looks at marginal prospects right now. It doesn't mean they will be on the team in two years, but for now it costs them nothing to look at Covey and Fulmer and Palka to name a few.
Not to mention...we're in line for the 8th pick in the draft right now. Throwing Covey and Fulmer every fifth day will help improve that positioning.

I'm jesting...but in all seriousness, we shouldn't be trying to win games this month. We can reasonably expect to land anywhere from the 6th to the 13th pick in the draft. Which is a huge swing in talent. Call up kids and take a look at the guys you need to and let them take their lumps. Winning shouldn't be a consideration for anyone right now.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
2017 (age 26): 7.71 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, -1.4 WAR. One quality start out of 12 (on 9/23).

2018 (age 27): 5.18 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, -0.2 WAR. Six quality starts out of 21.

2019 (age 28): 6.88 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, -0.5 WAR. One quality start out of 10 (5/31).

Overall, he's made 43 starts, with only eight meeting the QS definition. I didn't summarize the bullpen use because that run of starts in early 2018 is the only evidence of competence I can remember.

His career WHIP is 1.57, and given the sample size (and his age) it's not likely to improve. More likely, his age-27 season was his career year, and he was still below replacement value.
And finally regarding Fulmer:

4 QS in 14 career major-league starts suggests he's slightly better than Covey, but his career major-league WHIP is 1.648, and he gives up a ton of home runs (1.7/9). Those numbers suggest he's worse.

The major-league sample size is small, but his career WHIP in the minors is 1.52 and he has allowed 1.0 HR per 9 there. Lots of baserunners + lots of home runs is a bad combination for any pitcher.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 09-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.