Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Looking ahead to the offseason - managing the 40-man roster

The end of the season canít get here quickly enough, particularly if the Sox are not going to promote any of their interesting prospects. So Iím already looking ahead to what I would do with the 40-man roster situation, the Rule 5 draft, free agency, and going in to the 2020 season when a 26-man roster must be assembled from the 40-man roster:

1. Subtract/DFA/outright/donít re-sign/trade/non-tender: Castillo, Jay, Tilson, Palka, Skole, Goins, Yolmer, Cordell, Engel, Zavala, Detwiler, Santiago, Osich, Vieira, Banuelos, Ruiz

Most of these guys are chaff. Or they are more expensive for their level of production.

2. Add to the 40-man roster:

Returning from the 60-day IL: Rodon, Kopech, Burr

2016 draftees to protect from the Rule 5 draft: Dunning, Lambert, Burdi, Hansen, Rutherford, Flores, Mendick, Mercedes

3. Free Agency: Sign Cole (SP), Grandal (C), Nova (SP)

4. Trade negligible prospect(s) to Texas for Shin Soo Choo (RF) and his full salary

5. Give Abreu (1B) the qualifying offer

Just before the 2020 season begins, promote to the 40-man roster and to the 26-man active roster: Robert (CF), Madrigal (2B)

Lineup: Choo, Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Abreu, Collins/McCann, TA, Robert, Madrigal

Bench: Leury (IF/OF), Basabe (OF), Mendick (IF)

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova (Kopech starts rehab in Charlotte and when ready usurps the worst of the five)

Bullpen: Choose best 8 from among Bummer, Burdi, Burr, Colome, Cordero, Covey, Frare, Fry, Fulmer, Hamilton, Herrera, Marshall (4 stay in Charlotte)

Send to the minors: Adolfo (AA), Flores (AAA), Hansen (AA), Medieros (AAA), Mercedes (AAA), Rutherford (AA/AAA)

Given the timing of their TJ surgeries/rehabs, they are almost certain to start on the 60-day IL: Dunning, Rodon, Lambert

By my count, placing Dunning, Rodon, and Lambert on the 60-day IL would allow three slots on the 40-man roster for veteran non-roster invitees to provide needed veteran depth in Charlotte, ideally a starting pitcher, a catcher, and a shortstop.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM
WSI Prelate

There is no good reason to leave Robert in Charlotte all season only to have him make the Opening Day roster anyway. That is the worst of both worlds.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I expect Yolmer back.

Qualifying offer for Abreu is going to be like 17M. I assume he'd accept.

Not sure Basabe is ready for the majors. His service time clock should not be a factor in the decision. He's having a not very solid year at AA but he's had his season interrupted by a few injuries.

If Mercedes isn't on the MLB roster next year he's been traded, IMO. I expect Mendick on the team.

I hope they can sign all those guys you want. I don't think it's likely and I'd Rather have Puig than Choo.

Some of the guys you list as needing to protect probably don't need to be protected because they are not ready to be on a MLB team. Hansen, Lambert and Rutherford come immediately to mind. Not sure about Burdi either. Remember the team selecting them has to put them on the 25 man roster and carry them all year.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-02-2019, 07:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

If Mercedes isn't on the MLB roster next year he's been traded, IMO. I expect Mendick on the team.
They should give him September at DH to see what they have. His trade value as is is extremely low: 27, rule 5. GMs don't trade for players like that....well, most GMs don't. Trading him is trading potential upside for very little value.

Quote:
Some of the guys you list as needing to protect probably don't need to be protected because they are not ready to be on a MLB team. Hansen, Lambert and Rutherford come immediately to mind. Not sure about Burdi either. Remember the team selecting them has to put them on the 25 man roster and carry them all year.
But a bad team could do that. And should do that. No way should they leave Rutherford unprotected.

And signing Nova would be so White Sox...an aging, declining marginal 5th starter and pay him 50% more than his market value.

Last edited by Tragg; 09-02-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The end of the season can’t get here quickly enough, particularly if the Sox are not going to promote any of their interesting prospects. So I’m already looking ahead to what I would do with the 40-man roster situation, the Rule 5 draft, free agency, and going in to the 2020 season when a 26-man roster must be assembled from the 40-man roster:

1. Subtract/DFA/outright/don’t re-sign/trade/non-tender: Castillo, Jay, Tilson, Palka, Skole, Goins, Yolmer, Cordell, Engel, Zavala, Detwiler, Santiago, Osich, Vieira, Banuelos, Ruiz

Most of these guys are chaff. Or they are more expensive for their level of production.

2. Add to the 40-man roster:

Returning from the 60-day IL: Rodon, Kopech, Burr

2016 draftees to protect from the Rule 5 draft: Dunning, Lambert, Burdi, Hansen, Rutherford, Flores, Mendick, Mercedes

3. Free Agency: Sign Cole (SP), Grandal (C), Nova (SP)

4. Trade negligible prospect(s) to Texas for Shin Soo Choo (RF) and his full salary

5. Give Abreu (1B) the qualifying offer

Just before the 2020 season begins, promote to the 40-man roster and to the 26-man active roster: Robert (CF), Madrigal (2B)

Lineup: Choo, Moncada, Eloy, Grandal, Abreu, Collins/McCann, TA, Robert, Madrigal

Bench: Leury (IF/OF), Basabe (OF), Mendick (IF)

Rotation: Cole, Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Nova (Kopech starts rehab in Charlotte and when ready usurps the worst of the five)

Bullpen: Choose best 8 from among Bummer, Burdi, Burr, Colome, Cordero, Covey, Frare, Fry, Fulmer, Hamilton, Herrera, Marshall (4 stay in Charlotte)

Send to the minors: Adolfo (AA), Flores (AAA), Hansen (AA), Medieros (AAA), Mercedes (AAA), Rutherford (AA/AAA)

Given the timing of their TJ surgeries/rehabs, they are almost certain to start on the 60-day IL: Dunning, Rodon, Lambert

By my count, placing Dunning, Rodon, and Lambert on the 60-day IL would allow three slots on the 40-man roster for veteran non-roster invitees to provide needed veteran depth in Charlotte, ideally a starting pitcher, a catcher, and a shortstop.
This is a decent enough plan, but Covey and Fulmer are dog crap and both need to be in the first wave released. I'd much rather use a roster spot to keep Yolmer around than either of them. But they need to find a couple more actual major league pitchers.

While we're on the subject of dog crap, Renteria needs to go.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 PM

I'm intrigued by the idea of signing Ozuna, handing SS to Leury or Yolmer with the other (or Mendick) as utilityman, moving Anderson to RF and moving Eloy to DH. I think Anderson is too erratic to stay at short but his speed and arm could win Gold Gloves in right. Garcia/Sanchez are more fundamentally sound at short than Anderson, and Madrigal is going to be just fine at second.

I'm also intrigued by keeping all three of McCann, Collins, and Mercedes so there'd be some pop on the bench. I'd give Abreu one more year (keeping the spot warm for Sheets or Vaughn) and Engel one more year (buying time for the current AA outfielders). That's 13 position players, should be sound defensively and very good offensively, with a decent bench -- and it depends on only one FA signing.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Question for you Frater: how much are you giving Cole in his FA deal and for how long?

I just read this: “Patrick Corbin's six-year, $140 million contract is the floor here. Chances are Cole will beat $200 million this winter and ink a deal closer to Scherzer's seven-year, $210 million pact.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-the-crop/amp/

And...”Cole is better than Patrick Corbin, who signed a six-year, $140 million deal with the Nationals (although it was heavily backloaded, lowering the present-day value of the contract) and younger than Yu Darvish was when he signed his six-year, $126 million deal with the Cubs.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

Most of these figures are lower than I expected but the 6-7 years is what I think he’ll get. Considering he’s a California kid, I expect to see the Dodgers and Angels to make an offer. Houston can keep him but they’ll have to shed salary elsewhere. Perhaps that is an area where the Sox can help, especially if it means getting some prospects for putting $$$ toward the cap.

Last edited by soxfanreggie; 09-02-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
While we're on the subject of dog crap, Renteria needs to go.

Does the new manager have a voice in who the pitching/hitting coaches are?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Does the new manager have a voice in who the pitching/hitting coaches are?
Any manager worth hiring would insist on it.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Question for you Frater: how much are you giving Cole in his FA deal and for how long?
Whatever it takes, which is why itís not a very realistic plan considering the history and attitudes of the Reinsdorf ownership group.

But as long as weíre indulging fantasy, my plan that began this thread is one designed to:

Push the chaff off the roster;

Strengthen the active roster from the top by strengthening every currently weak position and the starting rotation;

Protect our prospects who might be attractive to a team willing to be aggressive in the Rule 5 draft;

Not block any ascending prospects by inking long-term deals with expensive veterans.

If it doesnít work, at the end of 2020 you can let go of McCann, Abreu, and Choo since their contracts would be expiring. Or you can keep any of them if Collins, Sheets, Vaughn, and Basabe/Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez bust. And by 2021, with Rodon, Dunning and Lambert coming back, youíve got serious quality depth in your starting rotation.

But even for 2020, I think adding Robert, Madrigal, Grandal, Choo, and Cole, makes this a roster that can compete.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Sox sign Cole. The Sox are known to not like long deals for pitchers and Cole is a Boras client on top of that. Further, Sox management must be salivating at the idea that in 2020 they could have a 5-man rotation made up entirely of cost controlled pieces (between Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease) and I think they'll roll the dice and stick with those guys, plus maybe a Nova-like FA signing or two off the trash heap.

The Sox need to sign a power-hitting 1B. I think the consensus is that this will be Jose Abreu.

The Sox need to sign a power-hitting outfielder. I like Yasiel Puig or Marcel Ozuna. Some people like this Castellanos fellow currently on the north side. I'll take any of them.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-03-2019, 08:13 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I'm intrigued by the idea of signing Ozuna, handing SS to Leury or Yolmer with the other (or Mendick) as utilityman, moving Anderson to RF and moving Eloy to DH. I think Anderson is too erratic to stay at short but his speed and arm could win Gold Gloves in right. Garcia/Sanchez are more fundamentally sound at short than Anderson, and Madrigal is going to be just fine at second.

I cant see anderson agreeing to playing RF. He was balking to move from SS if the 300M man came to Sox. Now hes going to willing move from SS for Garcia or sanchez? He might be forced to do that if this was a top ball club but for this rag tag team, I truly doubt it.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I cant see anderson agreeing to playing RF. He was balking to move from SS if the 300M man came to Sox. Now hes going to willing move from SS for Garcia or sanchez? He might be forced to do that if this was a top ball club but for this rag tag team, I truly doubt it.
They pay him, he plays where they tell him to. If he doesn't like it he ought to play a better shortstop.

Edit: I always thought it was crazy that the Yankees kept Jeter at short after signing A-Rod. But Anderson is no Jeter.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 09-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
I think it was Fegan in the Athletic who said it's highly unlikely they're going to protect Hansen.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But a bad team could do that. And should do that. No way should they leave Rutherford unprotected.
Agreed on Rutherford, if they leave him unprotected he'll get picked up, I don't think there's any chance the Sox let that happen. But could you really imagine a team trying to put Hansen on their MLB roster all season? He's a mess right now at AA, he has major control issues and basically taking a season off to serve up batting practice in blowouts is not going to help him iron those issues out.

Quote:
And signing Nova would be so White Sox...an aging, declining marginal 5th starter and pay him 50% more than his market value.
If the Sox make one big SP acquisition (let's say Bumgarner), I could see them also re-signing Nova as depth to cover innings until Kopech/Rodon are ready.