Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't get how Swirsky ends up at the only option when Benetti is gone- why not use the guy that has been the 3rd radio guy this year? (I think he used to do play by play with the Padres?), or have the guy that does play by play for the Charlotte Knights- at least you'd have a servicable pro who could provide some insights into the prospects, etc.

Having a fill in color guy is one thing- but a non professional play by play guy is unlistenable.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I don't get how Swirsky ends up at the only option when Benetti is gone- why not use the guy that has been the 3rd radio guy this year? (I think he used to do play by play with the Padres?), or have the guy that does play by play for the Charlotte Knights- at least you'd have a servicable pro who could provide some insights into the prospects, etc.

Having a fill in color guy is one thing- but a non professional play by play guy is unlistenable.
I also wonder why the Sox radio and TV booths are not coordinated among themselves. Given Benetti’s ESPN obligations, and the days off that Stone and Farmer both take, it would make sense to have a fifth guy - like Masur - who could pinch hit on either radio or TV. I wonder if it goes back to the fact that NBC Sports Chicago and WGN radio have different ownership structures.

Really, if I had my way, I’d assign the five guys we have available like this:

Primary TV PBP: Benetti
Primary TB Color: Stone

Primary Radio PBP: Masur
Primary Radio Color: Farmer

Pinch hitter/third man on both radio and TV: Jackson

This would also give Farmer and Stone opportunities to take off a couple innings each game, which would probably keep them fresher, and let DJ be a “change of pace” for a few innings each in both the radio and the TV booths.

I think Jackson is actually a solid color analyst and he is passable at PBP, but the chemistry with both Hawk (because he’s Hawk) and with Farmer (because he’s not great at PBP) is problematic. But when he’s paired with a solid pro PBP guy, he’s quite good.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Whenever a thread pops up about poor announcing, I still always have to say it's not as bad as Bill Melton.

Black Jack was pretty bad too from what I recall. Didn't he announce a few Oakland games in 05 or 06?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Primary Radio Color: Farmer
Really? Isn't it time for Farmer to retire? On Saturday he was really slurring his words. I also think it's time for Stone to retire. He's been mailing it in with Benetti. He's just a company man collecting his paycheck at this point.

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-08-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Really? Isn't it time for Farmer to retire? On Saturday he was really slurring his words. I also think it's time for Stone to retire. He's been mailing it in with Benetti. He's just a company man collecting his paycheck at this point.
Maybe. But my point was that if the team/broadcasters aren’t going to change their personnel, then they should assign them roles more suited to their talents.

Also, maybe with more time off - with Jackson filling in for each of them - perhaps both Farmer and Stone would have more energy.

Maybe Stone only does TV color for home games, and Farmer only does radio color for away games. And then Jackson does TV color on the road and radio color at home.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 PM
WSI Personality

I agree with recent posts that the TV and radio broadcast teams should be more aligned and have a fifth guy who can fill in.

That guy should be Andy Masur.

Lucky for us, he is scheduled to fill in for Jason next weekend.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think Swirsky is listenable with the Bulls games and having met him once, he seems like a nice man.

That said, some of the questions he asked Stone on Saturday were truly "You Gotta Be Bleepin' Me" moments.

When Swirsky asked Stone "to tell the viewers a little bit about Valley fever" and received silence as a response, I knew the man was in way over his head.

Some of the questions were partially insightful, but this one was awful and pointless.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Really? Isn't it time for Farmer to retire? On Saturday he was really slurring his words.I also think it's time for Stone to retire. He's been mailing it in with Benetti. He's just a company man collecting his paycheck at this point.

I disagree. I think Stone sounds way better these days with Jason than he ever did with Hawk.