White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
JR is not about to fire KW and RH nor give DD what he would require to come here, so mercifully we don't have to debate this as a serious possibility. But what if JR decided it was time to win at all costs?

DD would fire Renteria (and bring in a better manager with authority to hire his own coaches).

He would spend what was necessary to lure major free agents, even those represented by Boras.

He would also deal prospects in bunches to bring in certainty at other positions.

Would it be worth it? I don't know. I kind of doubt it; we are setting up to be contenders over a fairly long window and so many things could go wrong with a go-for-broke approach.
Regarding the bolded part of your post, only JR (and his partners) can answer that question. DD (or any other would-be GM) would have absolutely no control over that.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The White Sox are not adverse to signing Borass clients. They just won't overpay for them.

Cole for 8 years is a huge overpay. Borass said he wants 8 years for Cole. Call us when your phone is silent, Scott.
I canít remember the White Sox ever signing a big-time Boras client.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:40 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Regarding the bolded part of your post, only JR (and his partners) can answer that question. DD (or any other would-be GM) would have absolutely no control over that.
For the purpose of this thought experiment, I am asserting DD would have control -- or else DD wouldn't have joined the org to begin with.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:11 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The Royals are about to be sold for One Billion Dollars. I think all MLB teams are on solid financial footing!
That's money on paper. It means nothing until the franchise is sold. It's like the value of my house. It's completely paid for, and is considered part of my net worth, but I don't have that money unless I sell it or mortgage it.

As I understand MLB rules, teams are required to operate within their revenues, they cannot operate on debt against the value of the team.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

Cole for 8 years is a huge overpay.
...based off what? Give me something to back up this claim other than anecdotal evidence of a bad signing here or there. I'd prefer to have Cole other than more mediocre, middling pitchers as the alternatives.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
WSI Personality

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteAbe/s...83060307648514

That's a bad look by ownership. Imagine if Jerry fired Kenny and Hahn, then told Rick Renteria to face the media and talk about it on his own. I can't ever see this happening here. I didn't realize Boston ownership was THIS bad.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:46 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I canít remember the White Sox ever signing a big-time Boras client.
The reason you cant remember is because its never been done.