White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Default NL Wildcard coming down to the wire

Don't look now, but there are 2 teams tied for the second wildcard slot and 3 more teams within 2.5 games of them.

MLB does not have a tie break procedure for a 5 way tie for the second WC slot.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

It promises to be an exciting finish in both leagues. At first I didnít like Bud Seligís 2nd Wild Card team idea, but now a few years in to it, I like the added excitement and drama.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/standin...ard/2019-09-12
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

The genius, if only accidental, of turning the wild card into a double-wild card with a one-game playoff is that it not only creates an annual one-game playoff in each league to fill out the postseason, but also that it increases season competition by going deeper into the also-rans. If you believe in statistics, the deeper you go into teams across the league that don't win their divisions, the tighter you'll get. If you plot the wins on a curve, you should get a hump in the middle. You often had more competition for the single wild card, even in 2005, for a memorable example, when the Red Sox won the competitive race to be swept by the White Sox after the White Sox finished the season by sweeping the team that finished two games back in the wild card race (even White Sox fans forget how good the White Sox were in 2005, sweeping the two top wild card contenders before beating the Angels in five and sweeping the NL champ Astros).

The Nationals seem to be in good shape for the wild card, even after letting Bryce Harper go. The Cubs, as was the case last year, are struggling as the season winds down. With the Mets and perhaps the Phillies in the mix, the Brewers and Cubs may have more competition to get to the wild card play-in game for a series against the Dodgers than a division title that would give them a series against the Braves. Even with seven left with the Cardinals, the division still seems like more or a long shot.

The Diamondbacks seem to be fading out of the mix, perhaps because they traded Grienke at the deadline, which has had a cascading effect on their pitching. At the same time, the Cubs trading for Castellanos at the deadline may be the only reason they're still in the mix. A four-team playoff to get to a one-game playoff in Washington would be fun, though.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like the double wild card as well as it makes winning the division more meaningful than just losing the one home game advantage.

The NL Central team are going to have a tough run as none of the teams as of today have a winning road record this season.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Brewers now have a 4 game lead on Philly for the 2nd WC spot - though they're only up 3 in the loss column. Both leagues are really starting to settle in. AL is pretty much locked in and has been for a while.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Brewers now have a 4 game lead on Philly for the 2nd WC spot - though they're only up 3 in the loss column. Both leagues are really starting to settle in. AL is pretty much locked in and has been for a while.
I feel like every time we think an NL team is out of it a team will put together a three or four game win streak and all of a sudden they're right back in the thick of it. The Brewers probably have the easiest schedule left and are still in play for the NL Central.

The Cardinals and Cubs still have seven games left against each other, the Phillies are playing the Braves, Indians, Nats and Marlins and all of those teams are except for the Marlins are fighting for a playoff spot. The Mets have a pretty cushy schedule too.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I feel like every time we think an NL team is out of it a team will put together a three or four game win streak and all of a sudden they're right back in the thick of it. The Brewers probably have the easiest schedule left and are still in play for the NL Central.

The Cardinals and Cubs still have seven games left against each other, the Phillies are playing the Braves, Indians, Nats and Marlins and all of those teams are except for the Marlins are fighting for a playoff spot. The Mets have a pretty cushy schedule too.
It's a good point. Cubs are banged up and might well lose 5 or 6 of the games to the Cardinals. That puts everything in play. I admit I didn't look past the Phillies and notice the other teams all still in striking distance. It's very tough to do but I guess still possible and Cubs have a tough end of season coming.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

The Nationals are on a skid and only half a game up on the Cubs for #1 WC spot.

Phils collapsed too much for my dream of a 5 or 6 way tie to happen, but could still be a 3 way tie with the Cubs, Nationals, and Brewers.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It's a good point. Cubs are banged up and might well lose 5 or 6 of the games to the Cardinals. That puts everything in play. I admit I didn't look past the Phillies and notice the other teams all still in striking distance. It's very tough to do but I guess still possible and Cubs have a tough end of season coming.
The Cubs are banged up, the Brewers are missing the potential MVP. With the Mets pitching, it's not inconceivable that they can rattle off a five game winning streak against teams that aren't really playing for anything anymore. The Phillies have a real hard schedule, but on paper they have enough talent to get hot.

For awhile I thought the Cardinals were going to be able to lock up the division before their last series with the Cubs (and I guess technically they still could) but there's a chance that the Cardinals, Brewers and Cubs go into the last week playing for the NL Central and maybe both wild card spots.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The Nationals are on a skid and only half a game up on the Cubs for #1 WC spot.

Phils collapsed too much for my dream of a 5 or 6 way tie to happen, but could still be a 3 way tie with the Cubs, Nationals, and Brewers.
I admit I've been having a brainfart all morning and thinking 6 teams are in. It's obviously only 5 and so everything I've typed up to this point is based on that bad assumption.

The AL is still up for grabs too with Cleveland banging on the door behind Tampa and Oakland.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't know, the Cubs are pretty hot right now for a team where a lot of the big-name players are injured. I wouldn't count them out.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I don't know, the Cubs are pretty hot right now for a team where a lot of the big-name players are injured. I wouldn't count them out.
If they were only playing the Pirates, yea, they'd be in good shape. I watched their game last night and Hamels was CONSTANTLY in danger and the bullpen wasn't that great either (it never is, plus it's taxed). I don't know how well the Cubs will do against the Reds but if they pitch like that against the Cardinals, they're in a lot of trouble.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
If they were only playing the Pirates, yea, they'd be in good shape. I watched their game last night and Hamels was CONSTANTLY in danger and the bullpen wasn't that great either (it never is, plus it's taxed). I don't know how well the Cubs will do against the Reds but if they pitch like that against the Cardinals, they're in a lot of trouble.
Unfortunately, the Cubs also play three games in Pittsburgh next week.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Well, the road has been the Cubs' Kryptonite this year...Ö.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Which is wedged between a four-game and three-game set with the Cardinals.