White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 04:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Hot Stove 4

Is Puig still an option for the White Sox?
https://www.mlb.com/news/yasiel-puig-rumors
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-26-2019, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Is Puig still an option for the White Sox?
https://www.mlb.com/news/yasiel-puig-rumors
I have a hard time seeing any other moves for position players, and that’s fine with me.

I’m still hearing about Puig and Castellanos, but it makes no sense. If we sign either of them, will the Rangers “untrade” with us, because we wouldn’t need Mazara at that point and we’d still be down Walker? Nope.

I know most are not thrilled with the Mazara trade, but I think folks need to accept that he’ll be starting the majority of games in RF for the Sox next season.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:25 PM
WSI Prelate

If Puig’s market has collapsed to the point where his reps are seeking 1-year offers, then the White Sox should sign him. With his reputation in tatters and his career in jeopardy, he should be plenty motivated to succeed. For all his faults, the guy does have talent. Plus, he would become the premier lightning rod for media attention and scrutiny; deflecting some of that away from developing kids would help.

Besides, if Puig wants to continue down his path of self-destruction, he can be tossed aside after 2020. Furthermore, he can serve as an easy scapegoat on his way out the door.

Signing Puig would make a lot of sense. He can start off platooning with Mazara; filling in for Mazara, Abreu, EE, or Eloy in case of injury; and playing in any games where outfield defense is a priority (Fenway’s cavernous RF, Comerica, Oriole Park, Kauffman, etc.). If he wins an everyday job, then so be it; it’s a great “problem” to have.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I have a hard time seeing any other moves for position players, and that’s fine with me.

I’m still hearing about Puig and Castellanos, but it makes no sense. If we sign either of them, will the Rangers “untrade” with us, because we wouldn’t need Mazara at that point and we’d still be down Walker? Nope.

I know most are not thrilled with the Mazara trade, but I think folks need to accept that he’ll be starting the majority of games in RF for the Sox next season.
Even with a Puig signing, there is no way that Mazara will not be needed. This team was bereft of power last year, and a LH power bat will find playing time by default. Abreu can sit more often against tough RHP; his OPS against them was 70 points lower than EE’s was. Grandal doesn’t need to be overburdened with 1B and DH playing time like some kind of pack mule. Eloy can spend less time doing his Mr. Bean impression in LF.

An overall lack of talent meant that these little extras were not possible last year. This year, we are in a much better position to mask these types of flaws. Plus, it will be a good indicator of Renteria’s ability to push the right buttons with a deep roster befitting a contender.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
If Puig’s market has collapsed to the point where his reps are seeking 1-year offers, then the White Sox should sign him. With his reputation in tatters and his career in jeopardy, he should be plenty motivated to succeed. For all his faults, the guy does have talent. Plus, he would become the premier lightning rod for media attention and scrutiny; deflecting some of that away from developing kids would help.

Besides, if Puig wants to continue down his path of self-destruction, he can be tossed aside after 2020. Furthermore, he can serve as an easy scapegoat on his way out the door.

Signing Puig would make a lot of sense. He can start off platooning with Mazara; filling in for Mazara, Abreu, EE, or Eloy in case of injury; and playing in any games where outfield defense is a priority (Fenway’s cavernous RF, Comerica, Oriole Park, Kauffman, etc.). If he wins an everyday job, then so be it; it’s a great “problem” to have.
Where are you going to play Puig? You going to bench Eloy or Encarnacion or Mazara? None of these players can play CF and Robert is up mid-April latest and needs to play every day and that's even if you are willing to play Mazara or Puig in CF for those first two weeks and that's a bad idea, IMO.

Let someone else take a chance on Puig and if they need him in 2021 and he fixes his issues then sign him then.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-26-2019, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Even with a Puig signing, there is no way that Mazara will not be needed. This team was bereft of power last year, and a LH power bat will find playing time by default. Abreu can sit more often against tough RHP; his OPS against them was 70 points lower than EE’s was. Grandal doesn’t need to be overburdened with 1B and DH playing time like some kind of pack mule. Eloy can spend less time doing his Mr. Bean impression in LF.

An overall lack of talent meant that these little extras were not possible last year. This year, we are in a much better position to mask these types of flaws. Plus, it will be a good indicator of Renteria’s ability to push the right buttons with a deep roster befitting a contender.
When I say “it makes no sense,” I don’t mean that it makes no sense because it wouldn’t make the team better overall. Just that it makes no sense (to me) based on what we know about the organization and within the context of how this offseason has gone so far.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Ben Zobrist would be a guy I'd love to kick the tires on for a 1 year deal. Starts the season as the 2B and when Madrigal gets here he shifts to the OF to split the platoon with Mazara.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Where are you going to play Puig? You going to bench Eloy or Encarnacion or Mazara? None of these players can play CF and Robert is up mid-April latest and needs to play every day and that's even if you are willing to play Mazara or Puig in CF for those first two weeks and that's a bad idea, IMO.

Let someone else take a chance on Puig and if they need him in 2021 and he fixes his issues then sign him then.
Yes. Mazara and his Leury-esque .646 OPS gets benched against LHP. Abreu can get some days off against RHP, because Puig and Abreu are practically identical against them. EE is not likely to play 150+, either, and Eloy can DH on some of those days to upgrade the defense.

I’m looking at 140-game workloads for Abreu and EE, mainly because I’m hoping that more days off prevents Abreu from going into any of his his month-long power outages. I also would much rather see the catchers stick to catching. I’m also quite keen on the idea of never seeing Leury Garcia on this team ever again. Plus, and I can’t stress this enough, Puig provides insurance against injury.

Ryan Cordell (63), Adam Engel (65), Jon Jay (44), Leury Garcia (115), Daniel Palka (21), Nicky Delmonico (17), Ryan Goins (4), and Charlie Tilson (41) combined for 370 outfield starts in 2020. Ideally, that number becomes something closer to, say, zero.

Figure Robert for ~145 (missing starts to manipulate service time) and Mazara for ~110 (maximizes platoon advantage). That still leaves 115 OF starts completely unaccounted for. Figure Eloy makes about ~30 more than last year, and that is still a half-time OF need, even if nobody out there gets hurt.

Let’s fill that spot with a talented guy fighting for his baseball life and run a quality outfield (at least with the bats) out there every day.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Merkin retweeted this:

Quote:

Mark Feinsand
@Feinsand

According to sources, the White Sox remain engaged with the RF market despite this month's trade for Nomar Mazara. Yasiel Puig appears to be a primary target.
3:38 PM · Dec 26, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think we are done!
Old 12-26-2019, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

I want Puig! Abreu will keep him in line and I think he has his best offense year still to come.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
2018 WSI Dynasty Baseball Runner-Up
Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Merkin retweeted this:
Oof...I just feel like that would introduce so many negative intangibles without the positive on-field contributions to make it worth it.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Oof...I just feel like that would introduce so many negative intangibles without the positive on-field contributions to make it worth it.
The upside makes it worthwhile. When the guy is firing on all cylinders, he is a game-changer. Plus, it has no effect on the future, just like the EE signing.

Grandal
McCann

EE
Abreu
TA
Madrigal
Moncada
Whoever gets the backup IF job (Mendick?)

Mazara
Robert
Eloy
Puig
Engel

That works for me as a 13-man position player roster. All the self-specified holes (DH, RF, LH hitting) were filled.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

It seems decadent to get Puig just as a platoon partner to Nomar Mazara but if the price is right and it's just a 1-year deal, sure go for it. As bad as Sox pitching was last year, Sox batting was actually really bad too.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-26-2019, 08:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Ben Zobrist would be a guy I'd love to kick the tires on for a 1 year deal. Starts the season as the 2B and when Madrigal gets here he shifts to the OF to split the platoon with Mazara.
I think he’s still busy crying.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Closed Thread