White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Sosa is 19, not 29, but the rest of your point stands.
I was referring to his MLB Pipeline ranking, not his age.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I was referring to his MLB Pipeline ranking, not his age.
LOL Thank you. Sorry for the confusion. I honestly assumed it was a typo. Obviously, it would be very strange for a 29 YO Kannapolis player to be in the top 30.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-03-2020, 12:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
LOL Thank you. Sorry for the confusion. I honestly assumed it was a typo. Obviously, it would be very strange for a 29 YO Kannapolis player to be in the top 30.
No worries! I’ve made more than my share of typos whilst posting with my thumbs from my phone, so it’s totally understandable for you to have assumed it!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If the Sox were even remotely considering that Anderson might not be the long-term answer at SS, they’d likely have had Nick Madrigal play a lot of SS in 2019. Given that the Sox also have no other SS prospects on the horizon (Yolbert Sanchez at 21 who hasn’t even played stateside yet, and Lenyn Sosa at 29 who hit .251 at Kannapolis in 2018 are the only SS in our Top 30), and given Madrigal played almost exclusively at 2B across three levels last year, seems to me a pretty strong indicator of how the Sox feel about Anderson’s long term spot on the diamond.
Yeah, Madrigal’s defense at 2B was already a finished product. Not having him play some other places on the diamond was a missed opportunity.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I agree, his range is amazing and his arm is great, but last year he led the MLB in errors in 122 games, if you averaged that over his usual season length it’s 34 errors.

It's nonsensical to project Anderson's errors as a linear function. He has streaks of clean games and streaks of mental lapses. Get back to me when he breaks Alan Bannister's record and I'll agree with you that he's the worst fielding shortstop in White Sox history. Until then, the Sox can live with his fielding development.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Alan Bannister huh? Wow, that was something I never want to see again.

TA's errors are mostly throwing errors. Work on that, cut those down and the White Sox are golden at SS. (I refuse to believe TA was instructed to work on throwing off-balance as someone posted last year. That's just ridiculous.)
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-04-2020, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Jon Morosi just retweeted a scenario where the Robert extension would be part of a pending sign/trade to the Rockies for Arenado. Keep in mind that he was quoting the possibly senile Phil Rogers.
That would be insanely stupid.

Last edited by Tragg; 01-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Jon Morosi just retweeted a scenario where the Robert extension would be part of a pending sign/trade to the Rockies for Arenado. Keep in mind that he was quoting the possibly senile Phil Rogers.
I thought sign and trades were not allowed in MLB? That a signed player had to remain with that team for a certain length of time. Could be wrong, but I don’t recall any sign and trades in MLB.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I thought sign and trades were not allowed in MLB? That a signed player had to remain with that team for a certain length of time. Could be wrong, but I don’t recall any sign and trades in MLB.
I think that pertains to FA signings, not your own players. The Sox cannot trade Gonzales or Keuchel until at least June I think, but nothing would prevent them from trading Robert if they wanted to.

At least that is my understanding.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

Yes, Yes, oh and Yes very Stupid.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM
WSI Prelate

How much payroll is left to address RF, SP, and RP?

If there is $30 more to do it, offer this to the Royals:

Mazara ($5.7); Leury ($4); Marshall ($1.3); Collins ($600K); their choice of either Luis Basabe or Luis Gonzalez (no major league payroll commitment)

For

Soler ($11.2); Kennedy ($16.5); Duffy ($15.25/$15.5)

Royals save ($33.35/$15.5). They get a guy in Collins who they can groom as an eventual replacement for Salvador Perez. They get a short-term Soler replacement in Mazara and a long-term outfielder who can bolster the farm system. They get a utility guy whose main weakness, the lack of power in his bat, is mitigated by Kauffman Stadium. They get a reliever who did a really god job for half a season last year and still has 3 years of control.

We get another huge influx of power in the lineup. We get a guy who blossomed in relief after being yanked from the rotation. We get a much better back-end LH innings-eater than Gio Gonzalez.

You would be left with Eloy/Robert/Soler OF; Moncada/TA/Madrigal/Abreu IF; Grandal C; Encarnación DH

Giolito/Keuchel/Cease/Duffy/Lopez (last chance to stay in the rotation) SP

Gonzalez/Fry/Bummer/Herrera/Kennedy/Colomé/Fulmer (last chance to stay in the organization)/TBD RP

I think that team wins the division, even if the Twins add Donaldson and another middling starter. If it doesn’t, then “Bye Bye Ricky” auditions need to be held next October at 35th and Shields.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

Mazara ($5.7); Leury ($4); Marshall ($1.3); Collins ($600K); their choice of either Luis Basabe or Luis Gonzalez (no major league payroll commitment)

For

Royals save ($33.35/$15.5). They get a guy in Collins who they can groom as an eventual replacement for Salvador Perez. They get a short-term Soler replacement in Mazara and a long-term outfielder who can bolster the farm system. They get a utility guy whose main weakness, the lack of power in his bat, is mitigated by Kauffman Stadium. They get a reliever who did a really god job for half a season last year and still has 3 years of control.

We get another huge influx of power in the lineup. We get a guy who blossomed in relief after being yanked from the rotation. We get a much better back-end LH innings-eater than Gio Gonzalez.

You would be left with Eloy/Robert/Soler OF; Moncada/TA/Madrigal/Abreu IF; Grandal C; Encarnación DH

Gonzalez/Fry/Bummer/Herrera/Kennedy/Colomé/Fulmer (last chance to stay in the organization)/TBD RP

I think that team wins the division, even if the Twins add Donaldson and another middling starter. If it doesn’t, then “Bye Bye Ricky” auditions need to be held next October at 35th and Shields.
You forgot Kopech. No need to keep Fulmer. And you added another Cuban. But what are the contract implications of Kennedy, Duffy and Soler beyond this year? I don’t like the idea of being committed to any of them in 2021.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:37 PM

I assume they are done adding talent for RF and SP for this season.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Agreed. Arenado is a great 3B but Moncada is much cheaper and has much more untapped ceiling. Trading Robert and making a hole in CF just so we can move Moncada would be asinine.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

For

It’s aggressive, but I like it. I also like that it further weakens an already rebuilding division opponent who we play 18 times a year.
Closed Thread