GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
FYI, Covey had an excellent ERA at AAA but everyone seems to think he's worthless, so damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
Agree; if he could just locate... Even with that he stays in this rotation. That's three of five...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

My problem isn't that the White Sox are having problems with pitchers getting injured, although there is that.

My problem is that that White Sox are pretty much where I expected they would be when this rebuild started. And it is very upsetting, very nearly enough to put me off baseball.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That face that they had to go out and get guys like Nova and Santana speaks volumes no?
No; it doesn't. The idea was to eat innings and flip them if at all possible. The idea was not that they had to live and die with Santana and Nova b/c their pitching in the minors was horrible.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Agree; if he could just locate... Even with that he stays in this rotation. That's three of five...
The problem is Covey has consistently shown he just doesn't have the stuff to get through an order for a second or even a third time. I think he can play an effective role in the majors though, whether it's as a type of opener or someone who comes in and handles 2 to 3 innings out of the pen every few days.

The problem is that 1) Covey as a starter will further taxed an already taxed and pretty weak bullpen. 2) You need people who know how to use Covey effectively in order for him to be effective and I have my doubts about the Sox coaching staff's ability to do so.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The problem is Covey has consistently shown he just doesn't have the stuff to get through an order for a second or even a third time.
He has the stuff; he can't locate it.

Quote:
The problem is that 1) Covey as a starter will further taxed an already taxed and pretty weak bullpen.
You're at that point now. What's to lose?

Quote:
2) You need people who know how to use Covey effectively in order for him to be effective and I have my doubts about the Sox coaching staff's ability to do so.
If the pitching coach is not up to it find a new pitching coach.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Most teams don't go into a season assuming a 36-year-old veteran who only pitched 24 innings last year can be counted on to eat a lot of innings this year. The Sox did. They were also counting on big years from Rodon, who is a year removed from shoulder surgery and has been injured quite a bit and a turn around from Lucas Giolito, who led the league in ERA last year. Even the peripherals on Lopez suggested there could be some problems.

I'm assuming the Sox figured they'd be bad this year and it was clear from the outset that pitching, staring pitching in particular, could be a weakness. What's a bit upsetting is that the Sox did so little to even attempt to address this issue, and so many other issues, in the offseason.
Quote:
Even if they weren't counting on it as a rebuild year, you still needed SOMEONE who could cover those innings. They needed someone like James Shields, they probably needed two James Shields actually and they went with Santana, which raises questions.
I don't disagree with your concerns, but who was out there that the Sox could/should have acquired (without giving up a top 30 prospect or forfeiting the 2nd pick in the upcoming draft)?

Perhaps Gio Gonzalez? he wouldn't have cost them a draft pick...though he has only started 2 games so far this season. Were there any other viable options out there? (honest question, I'm not suggesting that I know that there weren't any).
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't disagree with your concerns, but who was out there that the Sox could/should have acquired (without giving up a top 30 prospect or forfeiting the 2nd pick in the upcoming draft)?

Perhaps Gio Gonzalez? he wouldn't have cost them a draft pick...though he has only started 2 games so far this season. Were there any other viable options out there? (honest question, I'm not suggesting that I know that there weren't any).
That's a good question. There's Gio, there's Shields (who is still out there), did a guy like Anibal Sanchez have a pick attached to him? Trevor Cahill?

I don't think there were guys who could necessarily cover 200+ innings but it looks like there were guys who could provide 120 or 150 quality innings to some degree.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-fr...nts-c293292274
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The earliest I see the White Sox contending is 2021 and that is a big maybe, too many questions marks with injuries and some players not living up to expectations. There is going to have to be some major free agent signings for this rebuild to have a happy ending.
Unless you can get the DeLorean up to 88 mph, there are no major free agent signings to be made. That ship sailed the minute Manny Machado became a Padre. This team will have to rely on developing the vast majority of the players it needs and making savvy trades to fill out the rest of the roster.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Unless you can get the DeLorean up to 88 mph, there are no major free agent signings to be made. That ship sailed the minute Manny Machado became a Padre. This team will have to rely on developing the vast majority of the players it needs and making savvy trades to fill out the rest of the roster.
But this is advice the rest of the league will need to follow. I think the days of a player like Machado/Harper hitting the FA market are gone. Teams are more willing to sign those types of players themselves at market rate to ensure they don't lose them. We saw that happen this past offseason and I expect it to keep happening for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Just one question, where is anybody WORTH A DAMN in the minor leagues outside of Cease? Have you seen the ERA's of some of the guys in the minors?

Don't give me this BS that no team could overcome this. I grant you on paper the pitchers the Sox lost are supposedly good or going to be good but there doesn't seem to be anybody in the minors ready to step in and at least not be an embarrassment.

That face that they had to go out and get guys like Nova and Santana speaks volumes no?

Three years into a rebuild and NOBODY appears to be a competent replacement...explain that one please?

As I stated what the **** is going on with drafting and development (which others have also questioned)
1. With all due respect it's not BS when it's true.

2. I don't know what you're really asking when you ask this question. It almost seems like you are expecting pitchers that were drafted a couple years ago to be ready and waiting to go and we both know that's not how this works.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
He has the stuff; he can't locate it.

You're at that point now. What's to lose?

If the pitching coach is not up to it find a new pitching coach.
I've always found this comment somewhat ironic. If he can't locate his pitches, can you really say he has the stuff?

I've seen guys at the park do the speed pitch and hit 90+, they can't locate it to save their lives but I'd never say that fan has the stuff.

Location is huge, see Mark Buehrle. Not a guy who had electric stuff but he'd paint the corners. Give me a guy who can locate his pitches, in my opinion that's a guy who has "stuff."