White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 04:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And Burdi pitched two scoreless innings tonight and his ERA dropped to 3.86. He did have a WP and a PB which allowed the inherited runner on second to score but also recorded two K.
That line gives no indication whatsoever of his command of control. I believe the only good thing from that line is that his ERA dropped. Let us accentuate the positive.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
That line gives no indication whatsoever of his command of control. I believe the only good thing from that line is that his ERA dropped. Let us accentuate the positive.
It was a response to an earlier post which denigrated him strictly for his ERA in this same thread. I didn't see the game. I don't know much about it. The fact he went two scoreless is a positive obviously. The WP was the very first one he threw and I don't think he can be blamed for the PB.

The fact he recorded two assists on come backers and recorded an out covering first does speak to the lack of quality contact the other team was making.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It was a response to an earlier post which denigrated him strictly for his ERA in this same thread. I didn't see the game. I don't know much about it. The fact he went two scoreless is a positive obviously. The WP was the very first one he threw and I don't think he can be blamed for the PB.

The fact he recorded two assists on come backers and recorded an out covering first does speak to the lack of quality contact the other team was making.
Great; I take any positive new happily with pitchers in this organization.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This thread is here for a reason. People can rant in it. I just find the love for Semian in particular to be kind of silly and none of these guys would have a future with the Sox.
I don't think there is a player in the league that is more overrated in terms of value than him, all of it stems from his WAR. I would be livid if we consistently ran out to SS a player that barely can keep his OPS above .700. His 2019 start was nice for him, but his OPS is trending back to his career norm. The Sox are way better off with Anderson.

But yeah I don't think Hahn is losing any sleep over not having Phegley (AAAA player) and Bassitt (who makes Nate Jones look consistently healthy).
Old 05-20-2019, 09:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Add Herrera to Hahn's gallery of washed up veterans.
This has been an ongoing problem for 7 seasons. It's not just bad luck: it's lack of due diligence and poor scouting and lack of scouting.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Look who is #10 in pitch framing

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

And for that matter, check out #6, #9 and #26. Amazing what happens when a catcher gets away from Cooper and his pitchers.
McCann sits at 41: will he be Hahn and Cooper's next scapegoat?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post

And for that matter, check out #6, #9 and #26. Amazing what happens when a catcher gets away from Cooper and his pitchers.
I will be ecstatic when MLB automates the strike zone and "pitch framing" is no longer considered a skill.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

How is that possible that Narvaez goes from one of the worst framers in the league to one of the best? I find it hard to believe that it was all terrible coaching.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
How is that possible that Narvaez goes from one of the worst framers in the league to one of the best? I find it hard to believe that it was all terrible coaching.
Maybe heís catching pitchers with better control?

Also, this may make me seem like Iím a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, but maybe, just maybe, there are several umpires who routinely call a smaller strike zone for Sox pitchers than they do for other teamsí pitchers.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Maybe heís catching pitchers with better control?

Also, this may make me seem like Iím a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, but maybe, just maybe, there are several umpires who routinely call a smaller strike zone for Sox pitchers than they do for other teamsí pitchers.
Stick with the first one. That was my first thought also. Sox pitching was nothing special most of the time Narvaez was here.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:20 PM
WSI Personality

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I don't think there is a player in the league that is more overrated in terms of value than him, all of it stems from his WAR. I would be livid if we consistently ran out to SS a player that barely can keep his OPS above .700. His 2019 start was nice for him, but his OPS is trending back to his career norm. The Sox are way better off with Anderson.

But yeah I don't think Hahn is losing any sleep over not having Phegley (AAAA player) and Bassitt (who makes Nate Jones look consistently healthy).
You would be livid? You know that up until this year that we've consistently ran out shortstops that can't even keep an OPS above .700, right?
Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
I will be ecstatic when MLB automates the strike zone and "pitch framing" is no longer considered a skill.
Well said.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
[/B]

You would be livid? You know that up until this year that we've consistently ran out shortstops that can't even keep an OPS above .700, right?
Yes, and that's part of why we are where we are today. Alexei was good in his first few years, but took steps backwards offensively, not forwards like we hoped. Anderson was a young top 50 prospect, so understandably given some slack to figure things out over the last few years. If he was back to hitting how he was the last few years this year, I would be ready to move on from him. Thankfully he has taken a massive step forward this season.

Also, the difference between what the Sox have been doing and the A's (running Semien out there), is that the Sox had SS that post sub or around .700 OPS players and are not satisfied with the results and are expecting more. Semien has gone out there the last few years for the A's and posts a .700 OPS, but is looked at as though he's doing a good job because WAR grossly overrates his value. I would be livid if the Sox got the same production and were happy about it. Honestly it's pretty similar to what Yolmer did in '17 and '18.

Last edited by ChiSoxNationPres; 05-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM
WSI Prelate

I just wonder where the Sox would be had they used that c $50 million seriously, versus chasing an absurd idea that Machado would take a friends/Ricky's happy-clubhouse discount and chasing other washed up veterans. They still wouldn't be a playoff team...but they'd be a lot better.
But if you reverse positions with the Twins: had the Twins put on the clownshow, and the Sox taken the investment seriously, things may be a lot different.

The trouble with chasing washed up veterans for convenience is that you never know when a team with a young core is going to pop, so you better be ready when it does. Few knew that the Sox of 1990 or of 2000 were going to be good.. Probably wouldn't have mattered this year, but it will soon. Invest wisely; scout, use analytics, avoid aging decliners.
To that end, there are always a number of guys in arb years that are dropped because the team doesn't want to pay the higher salary: Avi, Crohn, Dietrich with the Reds, McCann, e.g.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ivan Nova: Rick Hahn is so special.

Another lazy effort from the GM.
3 earned runs or less in 5 of his last 6 starts.

Is he an all-star? Of course not, but those results certainly don't match the ongoing, over-the-top outrage at the trade to acquire him.

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 06-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.